Not many know the Indian past he had discovered!

Discussion in 'Religion & Culture' started by Manas7, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Manas7

Manas7 Regular Member

Column by S. Gurumurthy in Indian Express

TrueSpirit1, Singh and Free Karma like this.
  3. jouni

jouni Senior Member Senior Member

Finding out greatness of the past is great. Blaming the Brits 70 years after they left is not. Get over it!

4. Free Karma

Free Karma Senior Member Senior Member

I actually wanted to make a thread on this.

BTW the books are totally free, The one about Indian indigenous Education is called "The beautiful tree", still reading it, thought I'd make a thread after I was done. Some very surprising details in the book. It even has a caste wise/area wise break down of people attending schools, teachers and so on. Totally smashes some of the lies that is peddled today.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  5. sesha_maruthi27

sesha_maruthi27 Senior Member Senior Member

Nice post.....

6. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

What ?
    Why ?
    Have you read the article ?

Two examples from the article and further expanded here.

A. Punjab and literacy rate.

Punjab's literary rate under Maharaja Ranjit Singh in 19th century was ~78%, with woman scoring higher than men. This rate plummeted under the British, and even today with modernization, globalization and industrialization Pakistani Punjab has managed about 50-70% literacy rate, and Indian Punjab about 75%.

So what I learn is that

1. Punjab and Punjabis are historically a literate people, so it will not be an uphill challenge to improve literacy. We can use this historical fact to spurn a yearning in the people to spread literacy.
    2. What did Maharaja Ranjit Singh do right, and what can we learn from it. What British did wrong, and what we can learn from it. Use these lessons to help tailor education initiatives in Punjab to help reach 100% literacy.

B. OBCs being Kings

I already knew that but a lot of Indians are quite ignorant about this fact.

When you tell OBCs(other backward classes) that you in fact belong to a proud lineage which has produced fine kings. It will hopefully motivate them to excel and replicate the successes of their forefathers.
    When FCs/UCs learn that it was not them that ruled, it will provide them with more humility and understanding.
    Such facts help teach that the caste is not a determinant of future successes, and also help us move away from a caste system narrative first propounded by British to a more factual one, where it is not a case of black and white.

TrueSpirit1, Free Karma and sorcerer like this.
  7. jouni

jouni Senior Member Senior Member

I hope you all the best. I don't know your today's caste system, but hope it is not official policy, only in peoples minds.

8. Eesh

Eesh Regular Member

That is always a trouble to some when a spade is called a spade. They would rather mindlessly blame upper castes for all our ills.

That most of the kings were OBCs, as defined today, or muslims has been no secret to the upper caste. I do not find a single Brahmin king in Punjab, Himachal, Jammu regions. Nor in Kumaon and Garhwal regions.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
    TrueSpirit1 likes this.