Nortel hit by suspected Chinese cyber attacks for a decade

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
This news item appeared on our CBC channel. There a video clip as well if you go to CBC website. I do not know how to download the video on our forum yet. I apologise for the shortcoming. I wonder how many of GOI sites might have been compromised as well since Nortel was in the business in India as well.

WSJ: Chinese Hackers Suspected In Long-Term Nortel Breach

(Note:CBC does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external links.)
Play iconHackers based in China enjoyed widespread access to Nortel's computer network for nearly a decade, according to a report.Nortel cyber attacks

Hackers based in China enjoyed widespread access to Nortel's computer network for nearly a decade, according to a report.

The hackers – who appeared to be based in China – had unfettered access to the former telecommunications giant as far back as 2000, according to Brian Shields, a former Nortel employee who launched an internal investigation of the attacks, the Wall Street Journal reports.

They "had access to everything", Shields told the Journal. "They had plenty of time. All they had to do was figure out what they wanted."

Over the years, the hackers downloaded business plans, research and development reports, employee emails and other documents.

According to the internal report, Nortel "did nothing from a security standpoint" about the attacks.

Corporate espionage is a growing problem for North American companies, with the majority of attacks coming from China.
China's embassy rejects cyber spying allegations

Last November, a group of U.S. analysts said there were as many as 12 different Chinese groups participating in cyber attacks on U.S. companies and government agencies.

China has rejected allegations of cyber spying, with its embassy in Canada saying "Cyber attacks are transnational and anonymous. It is irresponsible to prejudge the origin of attacks without thorough investigation and hard evidence."

The embassy added that China's government "strictly prohibits" hacking and "stands ready to step up international cooperation in this field."

The long-term attack on Nortel isn't the only time a Canadian company has been targeted by hackers.

During BHP Billiton's hostile takeover bid for Saskatchewan's PotashCorp, hackers traced to China targeted Bay Street law firms and other companies to get insider information on the $38-billion corporate takeover.

Those same hackers also targeted Canadian government computers in fall 2010, targeting the Finance Department, the Treasury Board, and Defence Research and Development Canada, a civilian agency of the Department of National Defence.
Nortel attacks went unreported

Nortel, currently selling off assets as part of a 2009 bankruptcy filing, failed to disclose the attacks to potential buyers of its patents and business units, according to the Journal.

During the investigation, the telecom giant made no effort to determine if any of its products were compromised. Nortel, as a publicly traded company, would have been required by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission to disclose any "material" risks to investors.

According to Shields, Nortel discovered the hacking in 2004, and the company's silence put acquiring companies at risk. Three former Nortel executives are currently on trial for allegedly tampering with quarterly results in order to trigger millions of dollars in bonus payments.
With files from The Associated Press
Share Tools

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
China has taken to cyber warfare in a big way.

Tronic

China has rejected allegations of cyber spying, with its embassy in Canada saying "Cyber attacks are transnational and anonymous.
China seems to have turned into the internet version of Pakistan; with hackers constantly being branded "non-state actors". :rolleyes:

mylegend

China seems to have turned into the internet version of Pakistan; with hackers constantly being branded "non-state actors". :rolleyes:
I do suspect they can from other country, China does not have a big IT industry anyway. If there is the manpower and skill for hacking many international corporation, China would be better off creating its own software... Hacking Nortel does help Chinese telecommunication industry, China may has the capability, but then all patented technology are already public already... Using patent design will draw lawsuit...

Hacker can just control an encrypted computer in China from Russia and claims himself to be Chinese...

While the possibility that Chinese does conduct the attack is also possible, but we just should not ruling out the possibility that is from country like Russia or Israel.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I do suspect they can from other country, China does not have a big IT anyway.

Don't worry. By now the people who hacked into Nortel are already processing the industry secrets for Chinese domestic applications...

nimo_cn

Country flag
I thought Nortel went to bankruptcy two or three years ago.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
I thought Nortel went to bankruptcy two or three years ago.
Let me help you to get the facts straight. Please read the part of the post once again which gives you timeline on these attacks, which have been traced back to computers in China by University of Toronto computers Department beyond any doubt. The timeline stated is that Nortel caught cyber attacks in 2004 but kept it under lid for business reasons.

This leads me to think how plausible it is that CISCO secrets have been stolen?

Last edited:

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
I do suspect they can from other country, China does not have a big IT industry anyway. If there is the manpower and skill for hacking many international corporation, China would be better off creating its own software... Hacking Nortel does help Chinese telecommunication industry, China may has the capability, but then all patented technology are already public already... Using patent design will draw lawsuit...

Hacker can just control an encrypted computer in China from Russia and claims himself to be Chinese...

While the possibility that Chinese does conduct the attack is also possible, but we just should not ruling out the possibility that is from country like Russia or Israel.

Mylegend:

How is it possible that Huwaei has become the leader in telecommunication industry? We know China has a slave labour industry which helps in controlling production cost, but what is it that has catapulted Chinese telecom industry to the forefront with in a short period of 15 to 20 years?

There is no need to point fingers at Russia. If that was the case don't you think they would be dominant in the telecom industry instead of China? Although you accept that hacking helps China's telecom industry than in the next line you point fingers at hackers in Russia and Israel.
Than show me the proof to back up your claims, where as we in Canada have already traced your hacking activities back to china.

China does not have capability of innovation but they are masters in copying and stealing. The patents are issued to protect the commercial interest of an entity and not meant to be stolen and as well as encourage innovation at the grassroots level.

trackwhack

And you wonder why the Chinese telecom infrastructure industry starting with Huawei are out competing others. :rolleyes: Fkn thieves.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Let me help you to get the facts straight. Please read the part of the post once again which gives you timeline on these attacks, which have been traced back to computers in China University of Toronto computers Department beyond any doubt. The timeline stated is that Nortel caught cyber attacks in 2004 but kept it under lid for business reasons.

This leads me to think how plausible it is that CISCO secrets have been stolen?
And you wonder why the Chinese telecom infrastructure industry starting with Huawei are out competing others. :rolleyes: Fkn thieves.
In reality, thief couldn't be richer than the people he steal from, meaning Huawei outcompetes Nortel not because it steals from Nortel, simply because Nortel is incompetent.

And get your fact straight, the report gives no implication that Chinese telecom companies are involved.

By the way, I can't help but despise India for not being able to manufacture its own telecom equipments though bragging about being an IT giant, instead it is relying on Chinese telecom equipments.

trackwhack

In reality, thief couldn't be richer than the people he steal from, meaning Huawei outcompetes Nortel not because it steals from Nortel, simply because Nortel is incompetent.

And get your fact straight, the report gives no implication that Chinese telecom companies are involved.

By the way, I can't help but despise India for not being able to manufacture its own telecom equipments though bragging about being an IT giant, instead it is relying on Chinese telecom equipments.
You're a funny guy. Of course Huawei does not employ these guys. Chinese are a bunch of thieving copying thugs. If you steal intellectual property you can beat them. It does not require a rocket scientist to know that you dolt.

Do Chinese have absolutely no self esteem at all? I mean, what do you discuss at office parties? How much you stole? Good Going.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag

Oh smart guy, I do not think you devote some time to gather your thoughts before posting. I will try to keep it very simple.
In the age of Internet one (Chinese Govt and Companies) can carry on with activities without ever stepping out of their homeland and that is what your guys have been carrying out, when you are caught red handed the first thing you do is deny but PLA-CCP is not aware when you do that it opens the door for Internet sleuths in our countries to track down the footprint which ends up in China most of the time. When it comes to stealing company secrets one has to have smarts which you lack otherwise why would you leave your foot prints to be tracked.

How do you know it was not the telecom company? Remember this Huawei was started by ex military man with the help of GOC although it is independent now. They can always employ private individuals to carry on these activities.

As far as India is concerned we are smarter, why manufacture when we can get it made for us at a lower price than anywhere else. Once you are not competitive we will move on. At least we do not steal the property belonging to others. We have higher standards and strive for the same. Indians have better things to do than steal that is why they do the programming of software for the entire world, Can you match that?

nimo_cn

Country flag
Oh smart guy, I do not think you devote some time to gather your thoughts before posting. I will try to keep it very simple.
In the age of Internet one (Chinese Govt and Companies) can carry on with activities without ever stepping out of their homeland and that is what your guys have been carrying out, when you are caught red handed the first thing you do is deny but PLA-CCP is not aware when you do that it opens the door for Internet sleuths in our countries to track down the footprint which ends up in China most of the time. When it comes to stealing company secrets one has to have smarts which you lack otherwise why would you leave your foot prints to be tracked.
The thing here is you can't prove it was Chinese telecom companies who started the attackes if there was any. The report mentioned the attacks were from China, nothing else. In fact, you can't even prove there was any attack.

How do you know it was not the telecom company? Remember this Huawei was started by ex military man with the help of GOC although it is independent now. They can always employ private individuals to carry on these activities.
The person who founded is an ex-PLA, but there is no clues that could lead to the conlusion Huawei was established with help of GOC. When Huawei was founded, there were other state-sponsored telecome companies were created and ZTE is one of them. You are just making things up like people always do here.

As far as India is concerned we are smarter, why manufacture when we can get it made for us at a lower price than anywhere else. Once you are not competitive we will move on. At least we do not steal the property belonging to others. We have higher standards and strive for the same. Indians have better things to do than steal that is why they do the programming of software for the entire world, Can you match that?
As far as India is concerned, they simply are capable of manufacturing their own equipments. They cant make it, so they buy it. Same goes with the weapons they are importing. Don't tell me India is importing Rafale becaue they have something better to do.

They don't program for the whole world, at least not for China, not even for the telecom industry of India.

Keep on blaming China for the collapse of western companies like Nortel, which collapses only because of their own incompetence, you just can't stop the rise of China with your cheap talk.

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag
You're a funny guy. Of course Huawei does not employ these guys. Chinese are a bunch of thieving copying thugs. If you steal intellectual property you can beat them. It does not require a rocket scientist to know that you dolt.

Do Chinese have absolutely no self esteem at all? I mean, what do you discuss at office parties? How much you stole? Good Going.
If Chinese telecom companies did steal from Nortel as you suggested, Nortel could just sue them. I believe if amateurs like you can incriminate Chinese telecom companies in a pulic forum, it won't be hard for Nortel do the same thing in an actual court. But the fact is Nortel never did that, meaning Nortel is just bluffing. In this regard, Nortel is worse than CISCO. CISCO issued a lawsuit against Huawei in 2004, the same year now Nortel is claiming to be attacked, but CISCO never won that lawsuit.

Last edited:

trackwhack

If Chinese telecom companies did steal from Nortel as you suggested, Nortel could just sue them. I believe if amateurs like you can incriminate Chinese telecom companies in a pulic forum, it won't be hard for Nortel do the same thing in an actual court. But the fact is Nortel never did that, meaning Nortel is just bluffing. In this regard, Nortel is worse than CISCO. CISCO issued a lawsuit against Huawei in 2004, the same year now Nortel is claiming to be attacked, but CISCO never won that lawsuit.
Dude, what court does China answer to? Are you freakin kidding me man?

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
The thing here is you can't prove it was Chinese telecom companies who started the attackes if there was any. The report mentioned the attacks were from China, nothing else. In fact, you can't even prove there was any attack.

The person who founded is an ex-PLA, but there is no clues that could lead to the conlusion Huawei was established with help of GOC. When Huawei was founded, there were other state-sponsored telecome companies were created and ZTE is one of them. You are just making things up like people always do here.

As far as India is concerned, they simply are capable of manufacturing their own equipments. They cant make it, so they buy it. Same goes with the weapons they are importing. Don't tell me India is importing Rafale becaue they have something better to do.

They don't program for the whole world, at least not for China, not even for the telecom industry of India.

Keep on blaming China for the collapse of western companies like Nortel, which collapses only because of their own incompetence, you just can't stop the rise of China with your cheap talk.
In your browser google "China based hackers stole Nortel passwords for over a decade". I do not know if you can access Google from the prison state.

Incompetent companies are in your country who use prison and slave migrant labour housed in company complex like prisoners. Do your research before speaking. If Nortel was incompetent, may you can explain how they were able to sell patents worth millions of dollars.

The relationship between GOC and private entities is opaque and it is for media in the west to expose the questionable dealings of your private enterprise. It is just the way we brought down your SIno Forest empire. You have to use the search engine on internet before denying.

Did you read the fine prints in the agreement, which is yet to be signed? One of the condition stipulated is about the TOT. Initial purchase is of 18 to 26 ready to fly planes and rest of them will be assembled in India.

The reason is obvious which the western companies experience as well. The conditions imposed by GOC. You do not play fair in each and every commercial transaction.

It is going to change for Canadian companies with the recent signing of agreement between Canada and China.

How is it possible that you and niceguy_2011 are in the Tihar Jail? Are you both the same person under different ID.

Last edited:

mylegend

Dude, what court does China answer to? Are you freakin kidding me man?
You are showing ignorance in this answer, Nortel can bring the case to court in Europe to ban Huawei equipment sale there if Huawei indeed violate their patent.

trackwhack

You are showing ignorance in this answer, Nortel can bring the case to court in Europe to ban Huawei equipment sale there if Huawei indeed violate their patent.
How the hell can Nortel prove that Chinese cyber spies handed over the tech to Huawei? How on earth can this be investigated? And that too in China? Dont give me retarded answers. China has been stealing from the world for years and getting away with it.

mylegend

How the hell can Nortel prove that Chinese cyber spies handed over the tech to Huawei? How on earth can this be investigated? And that too in China? Dont give me retarded answers. China has been stealing from the world for years and getting away with it.
Just check Huawei's design to see if they violet their patent. That is all evidence they need. I did mention that they can brought the case to European court to ban the sell of Huawei Equipment in Europe. Patented design is made public, only thing you can steel and get away with easily is unpatented design or simple know how.

Last edited:

trackwhack

Just check Huawei's design to see if they violet their patent. That is all evidence they need. I did mention that they brought the case to European court to ban the sell of Huawei Equipment in Europe. Patented design is made public, only thing you can steel and get away with easily is unpatented design or simple know how.
What if the product was released by Huawei before Nortel? What if the IP was patented by Huawei in China before Nortel? What if the stolen content was part of ongoing research that had not yet materialized into a product?

WHAT BUSINESS DO CHINESE HAVE IN VIOLATING CYBERSPACE LAWS AND SPYING ON OTHER COMPANIES IP? AND WHAT THE FCK ARE YOU TRYING TO DEFEND YOU TROLL? CYBER ESPIONAGE IS ILLEGAL. THE STORY STARTS AND ENDS THERE.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles