No words for what I saw today

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPIEZ

Country flag
I am disappointed Spiez!:tsk:
If I had been on the phone I would have told you to give him your ATM card.:D
I told you, I didn't have my purse with me, that's part of the reason why I didn't want to entertain him! I wouldn't mind it, if I could have bought him some dinner!

Param

I told you, I didn't have my purse with me, that's part of the reason why I didn't want to entertain him! I wouldn't mind it, if I could have bought him some dinner!
I have been fooled once by a dangerous interstate gang that operates like helpless lost people. It happened some distance from Trichy railway station a couple of years ago.

They were pleading to me that they were Hindi speaking people lost in TN and had no money.Since they spoke in Hindi and looked like lost northies I stopped and listened to them. Later they became a bit compulsive and blocked my way. On of the guys was really big and well built. They wanted me to come to a secluded place to see some thing and even surrounded me. It was 10 in the night. I sensed danger, saw a couple of motorists on the road and literally ran away from the place as soon as I could carrying my heavy luggage.

I took refuge at a restaurant and had dinner.After walking some distance and ,I found a Marwadi guy fighting and beating up another person and accusing him of theft. The person who was getting beaten up was from the same group that had begged to me.

The Police did not do anything, despite atleast a dozen personnel present nearby.

When I reached home I told to mom what I happened. What she later told me was shocking. She said that a few days ago the same incident happened with another relative and that person had to part with Rs.100 to get away from them.

Last edited:

SPIEZ

Country flag
It's common everywhere. I remember having a similar experience in the Majestic bus depot in Bangalore.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I once gave food to person instead of money that too from kfc because i had gone there to collect food myself. When i was walking up he came up and asked for food because he was hungry and spoke in english. I think he was from bengal or south and said that his son had kicked him out of the house and he worked in railways and had retired and even govt wasn't giving him pension. So i said to him to wait outside while i go and collect my food and buy for him also. He thanked me and went to a bench nearby and started eating.
You were kind to take the time and get the food for him. Now, in the States if a panhandler in a city like Washington, DC comes up and asks you for money, and you offer to buy a meal for him at KFC, you are likely to be physically assaulted. :-(

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I have been fooled once by a dangerous interstate gang that operates like helpless lost people. It happened some distance from Trichy railway station a couple of years ago.

They were pleading to me that they were Hindi speaking people lost in TN and had no money.Since they spoke in Hindi and looked like lost northies I stopped and listened to them. Later they became a bit compulsive and blocked my way. On of the guys was really big and well built. They wanted me to come to a secluded place to see some thing and even surrounded me. It was 10 in the night. I sensed danger, saw a couple of motorists on the road and literally ran away from the place as soon as I could carrying my heavy luggage.

I took refuge at a restaurant and had dinner.After walking some distance and ,I found a Marwadi guy fighting and beating up another person and accusing him of theft. The person who was getting beaten up was from the same group that had begged to me.

The Police did not do anything, despite atleast a dozen personnel present nearby.

When I reached home I told to mom what I happened. What she later told me was shocking. She said that a few days ago the same incident happened with another relative and that person had to part with Rs.100 to get away from them.
Is Thugee still in existence? :shocked:

SPIEZ

Country flag
You were kind to take the time and get the food for him. Now, in the States if a panhandler in a city like Washington, DC comes up and asks you for money, and you offer to buy a meal for him at KFC, you are likely to be physically assaulted. :-(
Beggars live in the USA or is it the hippie's :confused: ...?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
He didn't ask for money though! I never give money...only food if they accept to take it.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Is Thugee still in existence? :shocked:
This isn't really that "Thugee" - it is just a bunch of robbers in the city....

Beggars live in the USA or is it the hippie's :confused: ...?
There are beggars and homeless everywhere in the world. The last time I went to the US (around 3-4 months back), it was depressing to note that there were more such people on the streets. They have large cardboard signs on their chest that says something like, "please help me - no insurance, no healthcare, no housing", or something similar. Even in West Europe, there are lot of homeless people and beggars.

But in general, those beggars look better fed and better clothed than beggars in India.

Param

This isn't really that "Thugee" - it is just a bunch of robbers in the city....

There are beggars and homeless everywhere in the world. The last time I went to the US (around 3-4 months back), it was depressing to note that there were more such people on the streets. They have large cardboard signs on their chest that says something like, "please help me - no insurance, no healthcare, no housing", or something similar. Even in West Europe, there are lot of homeless people and beggars.

But in general, those beggars look better fed and better clothed than beggars in India
If Social security is stopped in the US, they'll look just like ours. And yeah, big slums would come up in every big City.

SPIEZ

Country flag
Here's a real look at for the development.

But I thought USA had some sort of poor management, wherein they give money to the people who have lost their jobs or something.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Here's a real look at for the development.

But I thought USA had some sort of poor management, wherein they give money to the people who have lost their jobs or something.
Europe is renowned for that not usa.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Today, I was visiting a couple of my friends, now days it's becoming a rare occasion. While returning I saw an old man, typical lower middle class old man. What he said to me next didn't make me eat my dinner.

The poor old man said to me "Annen, kongam idly vangi thariya ?".

This translates into "(elder) Brother, would you so kind as to buy me some idli's ?"

I was on the phone and paid no attention to him at first. It took a second to grasp what he meant. I felt so phucked up. Although I kept on walking, I glanced back to look at him. He stood there, in the middle of the rain, looking with despair.

I didn't bring my purse, luckily for him I found a Rs.10 note in my pocket, I ran back to give it to him.

The look in his said almost said it all, he lost as though he won a lottery, he said he had no words to thank me. But I couldn't listen and started walking.

:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

hope you didn't trip over your high heels with all that running , love.

SPIEZ

Country flag
If it is same then why 2 different names ?
A lot of things having same names have a different meaning, it depends on the regionalism, for eg British English and American English. Even our local languages have many.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
A lot of things having same names have a different meaning, it depends on the regionalism, for eg British English and American English. Even our local languages have many.
purse -> women
wallet -> men

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
I have heard people using purse to refer to men's wallet too. I have also seen many street shopkeepers referring to it as such. Personally I prefer using wallet for men's wallet, but I think it is ok to refer to it as purse also.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
That's your inclination, that's why I have put up a wiki reference page for understanding.
what if i edit that wiki page ? wiki is not reliable source.

purse -> to store money, cards and other accessories like makeup, phone etc
wallet -> to store money and cards

it is fact...dont deny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles