Nirbhay Cruise Missile Test 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
India to test fire sub sonic cruise missile Nirbhay on Tuesday

The much-hyped newly developed subsonic, medium range, cruise missile 'Nirbhay' will be test fired from Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur on sea, about 15 kms from here on Tuesday, defence sources said today...

As a precautionary measure, the villagers residing within the 2 km radius of the the launch complex-III of the ITR will be evacuated. The defence authorities held a meeting with the Balasore administration on Friday last and it was revealed that about
3284 people, including 698 minors belonging to 453 families, all residents of five villages namely Jaydevkasaba Pahi, Sahaji Nagar Pahi, Luna Pahi, Kusumuli Pahi and Khadu Pahi would be displaced temporarily.

The displaced villagers would be given accommodation in two temporary shelters. While each adult would be paid Rs 185 for shifting from their houses, the minor would be paid Rs 75. This apart,the authority would also pay compensation for shifting the cattle and domestic livestock.

India to test fire sub sonic cruise missile Nirbhay on Tuesday | Jaipur News, All Related News of Jaipur
:taunt:

Twinblade

Country flag
Nirbhay's maiden launch tomorrow

CHENNAI/HYDERABAD, March 11, 2013
Nirbhay's maiden launch tomorrow
T.S. SUBRAMANIAN

India's first subsonic missile all set to be tested for its full range of 1000 km
Country's first subsonic cruise missile Nirbhay (Fearless) is all set to be tested for its full range of 1,000 km on Tuesday from Chandipur, Odisha.

BrahMos is the country's supersonic cruise missile.

Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) technologists said on Sunday preparations were in full swing for the launch of the two-stage surface-to-surface missile that uses a turbo-jet engine. The Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE), a DRDO facility in Bangalore, has designed Nirbhay — a derivative of pilotless target aircraft Lakshya. The Research Centre, Imarat, Hyderabad, has developed Nirbhay's crucial avionics while other DRDO laboratories have played their part in developing it.

Nirbhay, which looks like an aircraft, can drop bombs. It can be remotely controlled and brought back. In this mission, there are no plans to recover it or use it to drop bombs.

Nirbhay takes off from a road mobile launcher after a booster engine kicks the first stage. After the booster separates, the second stage, which has a turbo-jet engine, cruises at an altitude of 500 metres to one km. It will travel for a long time at a speed of 0.67 Mach. Aviation kerosene is the fuel.

"It will cruise in the atmosphere like an aircraft and it is capable of travelling up to 1,000 km," said a DRDO missile engineer. "The biggest advantage with Nirbhay is that it can be launched from land, air and sea. It is a potent system," he noted.

Nirbhay can fly over or around hills. It can fly at a very low altitude and avoid detection. Hence it is called a "tree-top" missile. It is a "loitering missile." It can go around and around a target till it gets an opportune moment to bomb it. The U.S. equivalent of Nirbhay is Tomahawk. Pakistan has a cruise missile called Babur that has a range of 700 km.

A DRDO official said Nirbhay was on a par with the best systems of its class. It was a third variant of India's missiles, the others being the Agni series and the underwater-launched K-15/B05 missile. Nirbhay has latest navigation and guidance technologies, which were better than Pakistan's cruise missile, he added.
Nirbhay's maiden launch tomorrow - The Hindu

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Indian Cruise Missile Nirbhay Debut Test Tomorrow?

by Shiv Aroor

Speculating on a debut missile launch by DRDO is always a long-drawn gamble, but this could be it for the agency's Tomahawk-like long range cruise missile Nirbhay. With a launch window that opened yesterday off the country's east coast test range, the missile is expected to be test-fired for the first time tomorrow morning.

Mostly used to a series of ballistic missiles (the BrahMos isn't really Indian is it?), there is a great deal of justified attention in how an indigenous cruise missile programme will acquit itself. The Nirbhay is said to be a 750-1,000 km range weapon system.

As I've posted here before, the Nirbhay, shrouded in secrecy for long, is understood to be a two-stage high subsonic cruise missile with loitering capabilities. Sources suggest that apart from the engine (apparently supplied by NPO Saturn), the rest of the system is fully indigenous.

Livefist: Indian Cruise Missile Nirbhay Debut Test Tomorrow?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
so much so for official censorship on nirbhay test...........:mad:

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Do they have that kind of money?
Of course.

No one can show off a failed missile test in the first go especially when its a cruise missile and not a rocket. Same thing happened with K-15/B05 which have been tested several times before showing off to the public.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
DD all the sub systems are tested on Lakshya PTV and checked. Now they are tested it as complete missile.

A chauhan

Country flag
If it can 'drop' bombs then it's an aircraft/drone which looks like a missile, gosh ! I am eager to see its other roles apart from kamikaze.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
If it can 'drop' bombs then it's an aircraft/drone which looks like a missile, gosh ! I am eager to see its other roles apart from kamikaze.
It's being done by Tomahawk for a long time.

[video=youtube_share;19XXTArAGaM]http://youtu.be/19XXTArAGaM[/video]

Check 1.40 on

A chauhan

Country flag
^^ Well I have a fantasy to fire air2air missiles from such smaller and stealthy platforms, can't say it's viable or not.:D

Patriot

Country flag
^^ Well I have a fantasy to fire air2air missiles from such smaller and stealthy platforms, can't say it's viable or not.:D
I have read this concept already exists . I think Russians have worked out something on this concept. I shall post the details.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
It's not that this cannot be done but I don't see any use for it. It will first if all mean a larger missile and larger launchers. We can just fire multiple salvos to do the same thing. The sub munition warhead is an important one which can destroy say a runway and take out the control center.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
It's not that this cannot be done but I don't see any use for it. It will first if all mean a larger missile and larger launchers. We can just fire multiple salvos to do the same thing. The sub munition warhead is an important one which can destroy say a runway and take out the control center.
It reminds me of the vision of Dr. Abdul Kalam, maybe the plan is not to waste a system worth millions upon a conventional strike or a system which can perform half range requirement in cheap, anyways we should have a first view of the system very soon.

Less then 14 hours for the launch I suppose :timeout:

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Even though we was refering about a hyper sonic CM the idea is same,

Kalam for developing BrahMos' hypersonic version

NEW DELHI: The former President, A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, on Sunday asked the BrahMos Aerospace to develop an advanced version of the BrahMos cruise missile to maintain India's leadership in the field.

"You should develop a hypersonic version of BrahMos which can be reused... meaning that the missile should be able to deliver its payload and return to base. This will help in maintaining our leadership in this arena," he said at a function to mark the 10th anniversary of the launch of BrahMos missile.

India is the only country to have a supersonic cruise missile developed in a joint venture with Russia.

BrahMos Aerospace CEO and Managing Director A. Sivathanu Pillai said BrahMos was a unique missile that could be configured for multiple types of platforms on land and sea and underwater against different types of land and sea targets. "Its competitor is yet to be born. Its speed and devastating power has made it unparalleled."

The missile system has been inducted in the Army and the Navy. — PTI

The Hindu : National : Kalam for developing BrahMos' hypersonic version
He should be a happy man to see this development :yey:

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Hypersonic means difficult to manoeuvre and therefore not suitable for recovery and re-use.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Wonder what is the weather at Chandipur, weather could be better in my current location :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles