New to DFI: JMM99

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Welcome to D F I ..

==============

Would Very much like to participate in you thread related to Firearms and other defense matters ..

pankaj nema

Country flag
Finally, since it's 0125 here and I'm going to stop now, thank you for the added welcomes. I managed to slog through the first dozen pages of the maid thread and a number of names above are familiar from doing that.

Regards

Mike
Welcome Dear Sir to DFI :namaste:

I was also wondering what made you suddenly interested in India

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Mike,

Good to see you here.

Now, I don't have to cut and paste the posts of DFI on SWC and vice versa on the Khobargade case.

Yes, you being a legal eagle, always back up your points with links and background and that is indeed, not only helpful, but adds to the authenticity to your point.

I presume after a requisite number of posts, you will be able to add the links.

In case of issues, you can PM me, pmatra, Singh (the forum is his), Yusuf, Daredevil, Lurkerbaba and the other Moderators and Administrators.

You will find this forum a little different from the profundity of SWC since this forum has a diverse membership and not all are professionals. Some are students with great enthusiasm. Also, India is a diverse country with a whole lot of views and opinions and the politics is not as clearly defined in the US i.e. this or that (Republican and Democrat).

The vast views and opinions that you will experience out here will allow you to understand India, and this being a more accommodating forum to varied viewpoints, will give you a perspective to a greater insight into the kaleidoscope that is India, some interesting and some even uncomfortable.

I am sure you will enjoy being here and we, in turn, will be enlightened by your vast experience that you have in the legal aspect and insight into US affairs, some of which are Greek to us.

Welcome and enjoy your stay.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Welcome Dear Sir to DFI :namaste:

I was also wondering what made you suddenly interested in India
I 'encouraged' him to come here and discuss the issue, giving the US perspective.

That is why he has 'slogged' through.

He is a lawyer and so he gets into details, researches and does not shoot from the hip.

He has been quite fair in his handling of the issue in SWC, where he is a pillar and a fountain-head of knowledge and clarity of perspective and thought..

JMM99

Ray et alia

Thank you for the kind words - they are greatly appreciated and suggest to me that I should approach this case with humility.

Regards (as always)

Mike

JMM99

Pankaj Question

Good question to ask; and it did cause me to look back into some old mental file cabinets. When did I first have an interest in India ?

That would be when the fighting was still going on in Kashmir, but soon winding down into the UN truce, which Wiki tells me was effective 1 Jan 1949 (when I was 6-1/2). After that, India kept popping up in the news and in my history books throughout the 1950s. Nehru was something of a prickly pear (not a bad thing to be, really). India was not my focus - and still isn't - in the sense of expertise. I did manage in the 1950s to read John Master's books, but that was because of the movie Bhowani Junction (ironically filmed in Pstan), where my teenaged interest focused on Ava Gardner.

I'll stop there, lest I bore everyone with opening my mental file cabinets from 1960 on.

Regards

Mike

pmaitra

Gun question #1

I've been a Life Member of the National Rifle Association since the 1970s; and, when I was still doing trial work regularly (which ended 25 years ago), I was a pro bono consultant in the Second Amendment Foundation's legal services program. So, yes, I am a gun owner.

Regards

Mike
Good to know that there are people around ready to form a well regulated militia to fight a tyrannical regime.

JMM99

pmaitra

Interesting term, "well regulated militia". As I expect you know (because of your North Carolina location and interest in firearms), the word "regulated" meant the operational efficacy of the militia - as in a well regulated clock - based on its training and experience in the use of firearms and other tradecrafts useful in warfare. It did not mean a slew of government regulations.

That being said, how do we (gun owners) adapt to modern-day conditions. My answer for the individual gun owner is to join one or more public organizations committed to the Second Amendment (NRA, etc.); join one or more public sporting, shooting, hunting clubs to hone skills; and, for those who qualify, join the National Guard or other military reserve unit. I'd avoid organizations such as the "Michigan Militia" (you can Google for that one).

Our first line of defense is legal political action. Our second line of defense is non-violent political struggle - Gene Sharp, Albert Einstein Institution, offers a plethora of tactics (most of which are illegal - as were many of Ghandi's). We must make it clear to the gun banners that we will not comply with the Australian program (as an example). If the third line (self-defense) comes, so be it. I wouldn't last very long at that game; but others would.

Regards

Mike

pmaitra

@JMM99, thank you for the response. Please ensure that the addressee's nomme-de-plume is preceded by an at-the-rate-of symbol. That way, he or she will get a notification.

I agree with all you said.

If we go back into history, the Bill of Rights was introduced in an era (just after the Independence) when American commoners, and the regime forces, i.e. the British soldiers, and their loyalists, both has muskets (just before independence, but it's the same era nonetheless).

If we were to uphold the 2nd Amendment today, one would have to allow citizens to possess the same kind of firepower as the government forces do, such as, but not limited to, fully automatic machine guns, 50 calibre rifles, and even fighter jets (privately owned fighter jets are a reality as I write). This would ensure checks and balances between the government and the people. Of course, what I am saying is, perhaps, rhetorical. To come back to the point, today, fully automatic machine guns, large magazines, etc., are being outlawed. To me, this comes across as an effort to defang the 2nd Amendment.

Now, coming back to "well regulated," its definition is a matter of subjectivity, just like the NSA spying case, where one judge says that it is likely a violation of the 4th Amendment, while another judge says that it is constitutional.

Who gets to decide? That is the question.

Last edited by a moderator:

JMM99

@pmaitra

Hey, you could move in next door and mount Quad 50s on the rear deck. It wouldn't bother me in the least.

They (full auto, jets) are indeed "rhetorical" - your statement and mine in response to it. Full auto have been "limited" since the National Firearms Act of 1934. You can join these http://www + .saf.org/LawReviews/SouthernCal2.html to get a law review article, which represents the sentiments and arguments of the gun banners then and now. Which also takes you to the Second Amendment Foundation home - http://www + .saf.org

Who gets to decide: We the People get to decide, if we have but the Will to do so.

Regards

Mike

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Hey Mike, Welcome to DFI. Have fun.
=================
From the post below, it looks to me like you now have the power to post links.

@pmaitra

Hey, you could move in next door and mount Quad 50s on the rear deck. It wouldn't bother me in the least.

They (full auto, jets) are indeed "rhetorical" - your statement and mine in response to it. Full auto have been "limited" since the National Firearms Act of 1934. You can join these http://www + .saf.org/LawReviews/SouthernCal2.html to get a law review article, which represents the sentiments and arguments of the gun banners then and now. Which also takes you to the Second Amendment Foundation home - http://www + .saf.org

Who gets to decide: We the People get to decide, if we have but the Will to do so.

Regards

Mike

pmaitra

@JMM99,

It was a pleasure to read your comments.

On a few incidents:
  • Oklahoma Bombing: I condemn that.
  • Texas - Waco Siege: I am ambivalent. I personally dislike that character David Koresh and the things he was doing. The ATF was high handed as well.
  • Idaho - Ruby Ridge: This is a clear cut example of how a fascist government would act.
  • Boston Bombing: It took two warning phone calls from the Russians, and one full year, for the FBI to fail to prevent those explosions.

Proves that:
  • One cannot trust the law enforcement.
  • One cannot rely on, even if they can trust, the law enforcement.

I will write later about some of my observations about the US. Coming from a country where gun ownership is a privilege, as opposed to US, where it is a right, I find it ridiculous when people suggest that less guns leads to less violence. Piers Morgan et al. at CNN, however, are not going to stop this brainwashing propaganda.

JMM99

@pmaitra

Here's an SWC thread, Side story on the recent gun spree, that covers Piers Morgan, law enforcement failures and what the US military might do if it is ordered to confiscate weapons.

I don't chime in until post #70, Failures in Law Enforcement, followed by 33 more posts by me, among the many posts by others. Be aware that some of these posters are/were in LE (US & UK) and are people that I do trust to do their jobs well - that doesn't mean that you talk to them (i.e., "give me your card; my attorney will soon be in touch with you to schedule a conference", is the correct procedure).

The Marine survey posts start at #179, and continues through #184 (where I correct my error that Carl pointed out). So, would the Marines shoot down gun owners who refused to give up their guns. It seems not - unless the gun owners are dumb enough to shoot at the Marines first.

Anyhow, this was a fun thread because we had many chances to take our shots at the snarling Euro Brown Bear.

As to these:

"¢Oklahoma Bombing: I condemn that.
"¢Texas - Waco Siege: I am ambivalent. I personally dislike that character David Koresh and the things he was doing. The ATF was high handed as well.
"¢Idaho - Ruby Ridge: This is a clear cut example of how a fascist government would act.
"¢Boston Bombing: It took two warning phone calls from the Russians, and one full year, for the FBI to fail to prevent those explosions.
SWC has discussed them - just use search and change Show Threads to Show Posts and plug in the text.

As to Waco, I dropped off at home that noontime (to pick up mail) and decided to watch CNN News on the hour. So, I get Waco with the armored vehicles approaching the building (WTF); one smashing into the wall; pretty soon smoke; then fire; then explosions - and I watched 76 people burned to death.

Thus, I firmly believe that BATF ought to have served the warrant off premises rather than undertaking a building assault on the first day. And, that those who decided on the final assault were guilty of at least criminal negligence.

Regards

Mike

PS: I am now through page 60 of more than 200 in the maid thread. And register at SWC. We already have a North Carolina Indian, but he's of the woo-woo type - Eastern Cherokee. :thumb:

pmaitra

@JMM99,

Thank you for the links. I am going through them. @Ray sir had asked me to join that forum more than a year ago, but I dragged my feet, because, I wasn't sure I would have the time. I will think about it.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles