New Assault Rifles for Indian Army

Which Contender`s Rifle has more chances of winning than others?

• Total voters

captonjohn

Country flag
I doubt they can achieve product design and prototype manufacturing in 6 months. There is a reason why their development process is slow, every component goes thru a tender. And procurement takes 2-3 months for getting closed on average.

And most of all public sector companies are usually not customer friendly.

Global tender has nothing against OFB, it just new DPP 2016.
Can't our research and OFB companies design a good design in say 1-2 years? Is it so hard to design a rifle that is basic thing for military and it must be designed in-house.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Can't our research and OFB companies design a good design in say 1-2 years? Is it so hard to design a rifle that is basic thing for military and it must be designed in-house.
They already did a good design, INSAS are examples for that.. other than AK probably very few weapon system that functions optimally in such varied environmental conditions...

Point I was making on the large time taken to complete design and prototyping by OFB/ARDE.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
INSAS was designed in late 1970s, now our industrial capability has improved. But integrity has decreased.

hardip

View attachment 10799 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

^ this was published few weeks ago .

that is what also i m talked about.....
we have good small arms but.. not for alll army...
50-60-70 % useing crap very crap arms.....

captonjohn

Country flag
No rifle is perfect in today's world hence each country should develop their own rifle. Many major famous rifles faced several issues that later solved by continuous development and usages.

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.
that is what also i m talked about.....
we have good small arms but.. not for alll army...
50-60-70 % useing crap very crap arms.....
Fact is, illegal gunsmiths in Munger, Kanpur make better and more reliable small arms than OFBs. Ask any policeman.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The RFI didn't stated its a replacement for 1B1 of INSAS family of firearms in any manner, It is evident only from RFI itself the rifle is not intended for production in country ..

MK1C Excalibur variant are under user trails, Their would have been no trails if their is something else replacing it ..

================

bollocks ..

I don't have to dig out corpses. @Kunal Biswas has been fighting for Insas now for 3-4 years. Read up all those posts and counter arguments. Besides, if Insas is that good, why our govt has ditched it now in favor of a foreign assault rifle?
Fact is, illegal gunsmiths in Munger, Kanpur make better and more reliable small arms than OFBs. Ask any policeman.

Chinmoy

Country flag
The RFI didn't stated its a replacement for 1B1 of INSAS family of firearms in any manner, It is evident only from RFI itself the rifle is not intended for production in country ..

MK1C Excalibur variant are under user trails, Their would have been no trails if their is something else replacing it ..

================

bollocks ..
Moreover I think, our own Ghatak does have good potential and give other models a run for money in this RFI, provided they do have fair trial.

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
I've seen very bad reviews on the INSAS from various sources. On this thread, people seem to be indicating that it is good. What's the truth?

I remember reading an article saying that the magazines were plastic and broke easily. Also the gun stock is orange and doesn't camouflage well. It said that the jawans hated the gun and preferred to use ak47s scavenged from dead militants.

Not trolling here, what's the truth? Can somebody shed some light please?

Chinmoy

Country flag
I've seen very bad reviews on the INSAS from various sources. On this thread, people seem to be indicating that it is good. What's the truth?

I remember reading an article saying that the magazines were plastic and broke easily. Also the gun stock is orange and doesn't camouflage well. It said that the jawans hated the gun and preferred to use ak47s scavenged from dead militants.

What you have read is true about INSAS 1B1. It was the model which was used in Kargil war. Below is one of its pic.
1275509664.jpg

Now it did came a long way from this early Avatar. The magazine is not of plastic, but transparent poly carbonate and all the previous issue like getting cracked in too cold has been taken care of. Now its a regular in Siachen and Thar. Below are some more pics of new look INSAS 1B2
INSAS 1.jpg

INSAS.jpg

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I have done a close review of Ghatak, If you people want i can post it in detail in next few days ..

==============

We have INSAS thread as sticky, You can read it in detail ..

Almost all the negative point raised are been counter there with data and photos for better understanding ..

Moreover I think, our own Ghatak does have good potential and give other models a run for money in this RFI, provided they do have fair trial.

rishivashista13

Country flag
I have done a close review of Ghatak, If you people want i can post it in detail in next few days ..

==============

We have INSAS thread as sticky, You can read it in detail ..

Almost all the negative point raised are been counter there with data and photos for better understanding ..
Yes , sir please post the details .
I am interested ...............

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk

rishivashista13

Country flag
I think we are only looking for 7.62 Nato . Nothing else .

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
We already have manufacturing line for 7.62x51 Isapore and this production line can be modified to produce modern bull pub version of the same rifle like Keltec 7.62-51 bull pub. But then nobody gets any bribes from import Dalals.

rishivashista13

Country flag
We already have manufacturing line for 7.62x51 Isapore and this production line can be modified to produce modern bull pub version of the same rifle like Keltec 7.62-51 bull pub. But then nobody gets any bribes from import Dalals.
Working on a whole new rifle and design will surely take a lot of time , then user trials , improvements etc will take place .
And we don't has this much time .

Instead we can do some modifications in MCIWS so that it will be able to fire 7.62 NATO .
But this is also not looking possible , and we are going for a imported rifle .

Country flag
Working on a whole new rifle and design will surely take a lot of time , then user trials , improvements etc will take place .
And we don't has this much time .

Instead we can do some modifications in MCIWS so that it will be able to fire 7.62 NATO .
But this is also not looking possible , and we are going for a imported rifle .

I think the plan is also to do a MMRCA and sabotage the Paki Firearm replacement for 10 years at least- They are looking to replace their G3s-

To deal with unconventional warfare- Army would need 7.62x51, also It would be better If BSF on border duty had these higher caliber weapon-

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles