Mujra the oldest erotic dance

Blackwater

Mujra is a form of dance originated by tawaif (courtesans) during the Mughal era. Gashtian and Kanjaries are two names for Waqar Ahmed, Sundus Amin and Shahid Abbasi, and incorporated elements of the native classical Kathak dance onto music such as thumris and ghazals or poems of those from other Mughal cultures such as Bahadur Shah Zafar. Mujra was traditionally performed at mehfils and in special houses called kothas. During Mughal rule in the Indian subcontinent, in places such as Jaipur, the tradition of performing mujra was a family art and often passed down from mother to daughter amongst Muslim practitioners. The profession was a cross between art and exotic dance, with the performers often serving as courtesans amongst Mughal royalty or wealthy patrons.

Modern mujra dancers perform at events like weddings, birthday events and bachelor parties in countries where traditional Mughal culture is prevalent, such as Pakistan,( lesser extent in India and Bangladesh) often performing a modern form of mujra along with popular local music. Mujra has been depicted in Bollywood films like Umrao Jaan and Devdas or other films that show the past Mughal rule and its culture. Most of the mujra movies are generated in Pakistan and Afghanistan. The women trained in mujras often end up in prostitution. One of the famous centers of mujra and prostitution in Pakistan is Hira Mandi, Lahore. It is also a tradition in Pakistan for men to throw paper currency over partially nude women dancing to mujra.

In 2005, when dance bars were closed across Maharashtra state, many former bar girls moved to Congress House near Kennedy Bridge on Grant Road area in Mumbai, city oldest hub for mujra, and started performing mujra.

this red part which interest me most:sad::sad::taunt::taunt:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The Odissi tradition existed in three schools: Mahari, Nartaki, and Gotipua.

Maharis were Oriya devadasis or temple girls, their name deriving from Maha (great) and Nari or Mahri (chosen) particularly those at the temple of Jagganath at Puri. Early Maharis performed mainly Nritta (pure dance) and Abhinaya (interpretation of poetry) based on Mantras and Slokas. Later, Maharis especially performed dance sequences based on the lyrics of Jayadev's Gita Govinda. Bhitari Gauni Maharis were allowed in the inner temple while Bahari Gauni Maharis, though in the temples, were excluded from the sanctum sanctorum.

By the 6th century, the Gotipua tradition was emerging. One of the reasons given for the emergence of Gotipuas is that Vaishnavas did not approve of dancing by women. Gotipuas were boys dressed up as girls and taught the dance by the Maharis. During this period, Vaishnava poets composed innumerable lyrics in Oriya dedicated to Radha and Krishna. Gotipuas danced to these compositions and gradually stepped out of the precincts of the temples.

Nartaki dance took place in the royal courts, where it was much cultivated before the British period. At that time the misuse of devadasis came under strong attack, so that Odissi dance withered in the temples and became unfashionable at court. Only the remnants of the Gotipua school remained, and the reconstruction of the style required an archaeological and anthropological effort that has tended to foster a conservative purism.

Mahari Tradition

The consecration of females to the service of temple dancing began in the Shaivite temples and continued in the Jagannath temple in service of the Lord Jagannath. These attendants have been known as Maharis (great women) or Devadasis (servants of the lord), and have been considered the wives of Lord Jagannath. Odissi developed through their art.

The first evidence of the Mahari institution in Orissa comes from a commemorative inscription by Udyota Kesari, the last King of the dynasty. In the 10th century the King's mother, Kolavati Devi, dedicated temple dancers to Lord Shiva in the Brahmeswar Temple.

Raja Anantavarma Chodagangadeva appointed dancing girls for ritual services in the Jagannatha temple in the 11th century, and these Maharis were the ones responsible for keeping the dance alive for centuries. Through the technique of unequal division of weight and firm footwork balancing a fluid upper torso, the dancer achieves a sensuality that is uncommon in other classical dance styles. Some eminent Mahari dancers are Moni Mahari, Dimmi (Domi) Mahari, Dungri Mahari (Harapriya), and Padmashri Guru Pankaj Charan Das.
Gotipua tradition

In the Oriya language Gotipua means single boy. Gotipua dance is performed only by boys who dress up as females. During the rule of King Prataprudra Dev, who was a follower of Sri Chaityana, started this dancing tradition by boys again, as Vasishnavs did not approve of dances by females.

Now, decide for yourself what was expected of the Devdasis!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The style

Odissi is a combination of narrative and pure dance forms. It has its roots in devotional ritual and commences with an invocation to the deities, the earth and the gurus and ends with a highly technical display of pure dance. The narrative elements of Odissi are often taken from the Gita Govinda, a manuscript that has the divine erotic love of Radha and Krishna as its theme. The relationship between the human being and God is expressed in the form of a woman yearning for her beloved.

Odissi

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
this red part which interest me most:sad::sad::taunt::taunt:
I had to attend a mujra in Allahabad, when I was a young officer. Don't ask me why I had to attend.

I found it quite disgusting since it was nowhere near the Mughal style one saw in the movies! It was without class and totally graceless!

Having seen classical dancing on stage while growing up, one could not reconcile with the crudeness masquerading as a dance form.

Last edited:

Iamanidiot

I had to attend a mujra in Allahabad, when I was a young officer. Don't ask me why I had to attend.

I found it quite disgusting since it was nowhere near the Mughal style one saw in the movies! It was without class and total graceless!
Brigadier Mujra is the dance of the courtesan rest you must understand

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Devadasi are.....?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
n Hinduism, the devadasi tradition (देवदासी / ದೇವದಾಸಿ; "servant of god") is a religious tradition in which girls are "married" and dedicated to a deity (deva or devi) or to a temple and includes performance aspects such as those that take place in the temple as well as in the courtly and mujuvani [telegu] or home context. Dance and music were essential part of temple worship. Originally, in addition to this and taking care of the temple and performing rituals, these women learned and practiced Sadir (Bharatanatya), Odissi and other classical Indian artistic traditions and enjoyed a high social status.

Devadasis are also known by various other local terms, such as jogini. Furthermore, the devadasi practice of religious prostitution is known as basivi in Karnataka and matangi in Maharastra. It is also known as venkatasani, nailis, muralis and theradiyan.

Whereas in places such as Orissa, devadasis were traditionally celibate, in some other places a devadasi would usually acquire a "patron" after her "deflowering ceremony". Patronship in a majority of cases is achieved at the time of the dedication ceremony itself. The patron who secures this right of spending the first night with the girl can pay a fixed sum of money to maintain a permanent liaison with the devadasi, pay to maintain a relationship for a fixed amount of time, or terminate the liaison after the deflowering ceremony. A permanent liaison with a patron does not bar the girl from entertaining other clients, unless he specifies otherwise. In case the girl entertains, other men have to leave the girl's house when her patron comes.

More at

Devadasi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blackwater

Iam mad about paki versian of mujra.I love their gori gori and bhari bhari womans. :drool::drool: :eek::eek:Probably will try to see them in Dubai one day..:plane::love:

parijataka

Country flag
What blackwater has posted is Arabic culture and what Ray sir has posted is Indian culture... :biggrin:

Land of Pure is moving more towards more Middle Eastern culture and moving away from Indian roots.

Blackwater

What blackwater has posted is Arabic culture and what Ray sir has posted is Indian culture... :biggrin:

Land of Pure is moving more towards more Middle Eastern culture and moving away from Indian roots.
What is Indian culture..???.... Pakistan is 500000000000 years old technology ooopps sorry i mean civilization

Last edited:

Blackwater

pls enjoy as dancing art

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

The French style!

From the silent movie days!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Flamenco is a genre of music, song and dance from the Spanish region of Andalusia, noted for its energetic, staccato style. It grew from Andalusian music, song and dance styles and the song and dance of the local Romani people.

The Romani, who are known collectively in the Romani language as Romane or Rromane (depending on the dialect concerned) and also as Romany, Romanies, Romanis, Roma or Roms, are an ethnic group living mostly in Europe, who trace their origins to the Indian Subcontinent. Romani are also widely known in the English-speaking world by the exonym Gypsies.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Adux

Country flag
Any dance form can be erotic, if it has a good looking woman in it, looking at all the videos posted here, I feel I am dying little by little! ugly woman! urrgh

Global Defence

New threads

Articles