Miss Russia, Elmira Abdrazakova, target of racist abuse

pmaitra

Miss Russia, Elmira Abdrazakova, becomes target of racist abuse over her ethnicity

Elmira Abdrazakova CREDIT: Miss World

Elmira Abdrazakova, Miss Russia, became a target of racial abuse for being a member of one of the country's ethnic minorities.

Elmira Abdrazakova, the winner of the Miss Russia pageant, has become a target of racist abuse as many social media users are accusing her of "not being Russian enough."

The Sun reports Abdrazakova, 18, was forced to shut down all her social media accounts after the young model began receiving numerous hateful posts criticizing her for being a member of one of the country's ethnic minorities.

Abdrazakova's father is Tartar, a Russian ethnic minority, and she was born in Kazakhstan.

Though the 18-year-old beauty queen is puzzled by the hatred she's been getting for her origins, she understands that the mean comments don't reflect badly on her, but on the people who write them.

"The nationality question - I don't really understand it, I don't understand why men would write to a young girl offensive things about her nationality," she told Sky News. "It was bizarre for me when men were writing things like that to me, I was surprised we have people of that sort here."
In the end, Abdrazakova expects this experience will inspire other girls to grow, develop and work hard.

"For many teenage girls Miss Russia will become a role model, a measure of beauty," she said.
"Maybe some girls will look at me and get inspired by my experience to grow, to develop, to work hard. I hope they can see that in life you can reach something without big money."
Abdrazakova will be representing Russia at the 2013 Miss World pageant which will take place on September 28 in Jakarta, Indonesia.

Read more: Miss Russia haters: Elmira Abdrazakova becomes target of racist abuse over her ethnicity - UPI.com

[HR][/HR]

She looks more Indian, to be honest. Many people from Southern Russia, especially the Caucasus and the -Stans, actually do.

Question: Will incidents like this alienate the minorities in the Russian Federation?

@Akim, @Lubov, @Lidsky M.D, @KuleshovOleg, @W.G.Ewald, @asianobserve

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

Miss Russia 'Haters' Say Elmira Abdrazakova Isn't Russian Enough (PHOTOS)

Elmira Abdrazakova, crowned Miss Russia 2013 back in March, was born in Kazakhstan but grew up in Russia. Her father, reports Sky News, is Tatar, a historically Muslim ethnic minority group that is one of the oldest in Russia. When Abdrazakova was named Miss Russia, Internet commenters were quick to toss slurs and criticism her way. Based on her appearance, some commenters said, Abdrazakova looks qualified to be Miss Kazakhstan or Miss Uzbekistan but not Miss Russia.
Source: Miss Russia 'Haters' Say Elmira Abdrazakova Isn't Russian Enough (PHOTOS)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It appears that the whole world is getting narrow and compartmentalised!

Unfortunate.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
She's beautiful. I don't understand how she can be "not Russian enough?" Crazy Russian nationalists... Russians should be embracing her as a model of how Muslim Russian women should act (and look like). She's obviously not too religious.

pmaitra

Some snippets:

Tatars are Russians. They have been there for centuries, and once, the Slavic princes were vassals to the Kazan (Tatar) Khanate. Today, they have a republic, called Tatarstan.

Sergei Rachmaninoff, Marat Safin, Dinara Safina, Diniyar Bilyaletdinov, et al. are all Tatars. KamAZ trucks are made in Tatarstan, so are many helicopters, including the Mil-17.

References:
Kazan Helicopters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of Tatars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Main page. OJSC KAMAZ

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Tatars are Russians.

Exactly. And she's beautiful and clearly a national asset (does Russia have a tourism promotion ad? Come to Russia where our women are the most beautiful in the World... hahaha). If she applies for Singaporean citizenship Singapore might just take her in to improve their gene pool.

BTW, I like Rachmaninoff. But he died an American...

pmaitra

Exactly. And she's beautiful and clearly a national asset (does Russia have a tourism promotion ad? Come to Russia where our women are the most beautiful in the World... hahaha). If she applies for Singaporean citizenship Singapore might just take her in to improve their gene pool.

BTW, I like Rachmaninoff. But he died an American...
I once enjoyed the privileged company of a beautiful young Russian Tatar Muslim woman.

(the order of the adjectives might not be correct)

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I once enjoyed the privileged company of a beautiful young Russian Tatar Muslim woman.

You're lucky! What happened, afraid to alienate your nationalist Russian friends?

pmaitra

You're lucky! What happened, afraid to alienate your nationalist Russian friends?
I don't need to alienate any nationalist Russian - they already alienated themselves from me when they decided to end the USSR by taking the RSFSR out of the Union.

Russia is huge, and it is diverse. They need to respect that, if they care about Russia's hugeness. The good thing is that the judges, eventually, kept all racism apart, and chose Miss. Abdrazakova as the winner. We should applaud that.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
She's beautiful, but she doesn't look like your average Russian girl. I'm not saying she isn't Russian, she obviously is.

Anyway,

What does "privileged company" mean, gf, friend, colleague. :notsure: yeah i'm a noob. You can choose not to answer.
I am just curious why you use such words when gf etc is way more clearer. :scared1:

Last edited:

pmaitra

She's beautiful, but she doesn't look like your average Russian girl. I'm not saying she isn't Russian, she obviously is.

Anyway,

What does "privileged company" mean, gf, friend, colleague. :notsure: yeah i am noob. You can choose not to answer.
I am just curious why you use such words when gf etc is way more clearer. :scared1:
Well, I guess I used careful words so as not to reveal any details. The point I was trying to make is, Tatars can be really nice people.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Miss Russia, Elmira Abdrazakova, becomes target of racist abuse over her ethnicity

She looks more Indian, to be honest. Many people from Southern Russia, especially the Caucasus and the -Stans, actually do.
Kinda true, i guess. Yesterday I was talking to a dude from Azerbaijan. I asked him where he was from and he was like Azerbaijan. I swear he could pass for an Indian.

pmaitra

Kinda true, i guess. Yesterday I was talking to a dude from Azerbaijan. I asked him where he was from and he was like Azerbaijan. I swear he could pass for an Indian.
I know a guy from Bashkortostan, and he could pass for an Indian too. I also met a guy from Dagestan, who was totally like an Indian. He could pass for someone from Central India.

pmaitra

Так что, лучше Владимиру Владимировичу сразу правильно планировать свою предвыборную кампанию и представляться людям либо «россиянином», либо «гражданином мира», либо ещё каким-то гражданином.
[HR][/HR]
So, it is better to Vladimir Vladimirovich immediately to plan his campaign and presented to people or "Russian" or "citizen of the world", or even any citizen. Another possible themselves, as he put it, "scratched" - and suddenly there really Tatar. Then we can hope that at least someone will vote in Tatarstan, as it should, or the "Russians" from some of Ingushetia.
Source: Путин и Медведев начали утверждать, что они русские - новость из рубрики Общество, актуальная информация, обсуждение новости, дискуссии Ð

@Akim, obviously the translation is messed up. Could you please give us more insight in what Putin could have meant?

Akim

Professional
Country flag
The problems of racism "sucked from the finger". Of course there is a certain group of people with such views. But their minuscule in society. I think such provocative article poyavlyayutsya specifically to reduce the level of tourism. A year ago, the Western mass media actively discussed the problem of racism in Ukraine ( Euro 2012 - football championship). Now, for the 10 months to the winter Olympics 2014 up "ejected" negative information against Russia. We have a saying:"Not devil, as he is painted".

pmaitra

@Akim, is Vladimir Putin part Tatar?

Akim

Professional
Country flag
@Akim, obviously the translation is messed up. Could you please give us more insight in what Putin could have meant?
Only in the Russian language there are two different notions of «Russian»is a nationality. «Rossiyanin» - this citizenship. Putin and Medvedev have only specified their nationality.

pmaitra

Only in the Russian language there are two different notions of «Russian»is a nationality. «Rossiyanin» - this citizenship. Putin and Medvedev have only specified their nationality.
Right. What did he mean by his mentioning "Tatar?" Is Vladimir Putin of Tatar heritage?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles