Miss Russia, Elmira Abdrazakova, target of racist abuse

Discussion in 'Europe and Russia' started by pmaitra, Apr 26, 2013.

1. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Miss Russia, Elmira Abdrazakova, becomes target of racist abuse over her ethnicity

[​IMG]
    Elmira Abdrazakova CREDIT: Miss World

Elmira Abdrazakova, Miss Russia, became a target of racial abuse for being a member of one of the country's ethnic minorities.

Elmira Abdrazakova, the winner of the Miss Russia pageant, has become a target of racist abuse as many social media users are accusing her of "not being Russian enough."

The Sun reports Abdrazakova, 18, was forced to shut down all her social media accounts after the young model began receiving numerous hateful posts criticizing her for being a member of one of the country's ethnic minorities.

Abdrazakova's father is Tartar, a Russian ethnic minority, and she was born in Kazakhstan.

Though the 18-year-old beauty queen is puzzled by the hatred she's been getting for her origins, she understands that the mean comments don't reflect badly on her, but on the people who write them.

In the end, Abdrazakova expects this experience will inspire other girls to grow, develop and work hard.

Abdrazakova will be representing Russia at the 2013 Miss World pageant which will take place on September 28 in Jakarta, Indonesia.

Read more: Miss Russia haters: Elmira Abdrazakova becomes target of racist abuse over her ethnicity - UPI.com

[HR][/HR]

She looks more Indian, to be honest. Many people from Southern Russia, especially the Caucasus and the -Stans, actually do.

Question: Will incidents like this alienate the minorities in the Russian Federation?

@Akim, @Lubov, @Lidsky M.D, @KuleshovOleg, @W.G.Ewald, @asianobserve

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  3. pmaitra

Miss Russia 'Haters' Say Elmira Abdrazakova Isn't Russian Enough (PHOTOS)

Source: Miss Russia 'Haters' Say Elmira Abdrazakova Isn't Russian Enough (PHOTOS)

4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

It appears that the whole world is getting narrow and compartmentalised!

Unfortunate.

5. asianobserve

asianobserve Elite Member Elite Member

She's beautiful. I don't understand how she can be "not Russian enough?" Crazy Russian nationalists... Russians should be embracing her as a model of how Muslim Russian women should act (and look like). She's obviously not too religious.

pmaitra likes this.
  6. pmaitra

Some snippets:

Tatars are Russians. They have been there for centuries, and once, the Slavic princes were vassals to the Kazan (Tatar) Khanate. Today, they have a republic, called Tatarstan.

Sergei Rachmaninoff, Marat Safin, Dinara Safina, Diniyar Bilyaletdinov, et al. are all Tatars. KamAZ trucks are made in Tatarstan, so are many helicopters, including the Mil-17.

References:
    Kazan Helicopters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    List of Tatars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Main page. OJSC KAMAZ

7. asianobserve

Exactly. And she's beautiful and clearly a national asset (does Russia have a tourism promotion ad? Come to Russia where our women are the most beautiful in the World... hahaha). If she applies for Singaporean citizenship Singapore might just take her in to improve their gene pool.

BTW, I like Rachmaninoff. But he died an American...

8. pmaitra

I once enjoyed the privileged company of a beautiful young Russian Tatar Muslim woman.

(the order of the adjectives might not be correct)

9. asianobserve

You're lucky! What happened, afraid to alienate your nationalist Russian friends?

10. pmaitra

I don't need to alienate any nationalist Russian - they already alienated themselves from me when they decided to end the USSR by taking the RSFSR out of the Union.

Russia is huge, and it is diverse. They need to respect that, if they care about Russia's hugeness. The good thing is that the judges, eventually, kept all racism apart, and chose Miss. Abdrazakova as the winner. We should applaud that.

sorcerer likes this.
  11. Razor

Razor CIDs from Tamilnadu Senior Member

She's beautiful, but she doesn't look like your average Russian girl. I'm not saying she isn't Russian, she obviously is.

Anyway,
    What does "privileged company" mean, gf, friend, colleague. :notsure: yeah i'm a noob. You can choose not to answer.
    I am just curious why you use such words when gf etc is way more clearer. :scared1:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  12. pmaitra

Well, I guess I used careful words so as not to reveal any details. The point I was trying to make is, Tatars can be really nice people.

Razor likes this.
  13. Razor

Razor CIDs from Tamilnadu Senior Member

Kinda true, i guess. Yesterday I was talking to a dude from Azerbaijan. I asked him where he was from and he was like Azerbaijan. I swear he could pass for an Indian.

14. pmaitra

I know a guy from Bashkortostan, and he could pass for an Indian too. I also met a guy from Dagestan, who was totally like an Indian. He could pass for someone from Central India.

15. pmaitra

Source: Путин и Медведев начали утверждать, что они русские - новость из рубрики Общество, актуальная информация, обсуждение новости, дискуссии Ð

@Akim, obviously the translation is messed up. Could you please give us more insight in what Putin could have meant?

16. Akim

Akim Defence Professionals Defence Professionals

The problems of racism "sucked from the finger". Of course there is a certain group of people with such views. But their minuscule in society. I think such provocative article poyavlyayutsya specifically to reduce the level of tourism. A year ago, the Western mass media actively discussed the problem of racism in Ukraine ( Euro 2012 - football championship). Now, for the 10 months to the winter Olympics 2014 up "ejected" negative information against Russia. We have a saying:"Not devil, as he is painted".

pmaitra likes this.
  17. pmaitra

@Akim, is Vladimir Putin part Tatar?

18. Akim

Only in the Russian language there are two different notions of «Russian»is a nationality. «Rossiyanin» - this citizenship. Putin and Medvedev have only specified their nationality.

19. pmaitra

Right. What did he mean by his mentioning "Tatar?" Is Vladimir Putin of Tatar heritage?

20. Akim

His parents are Russian - which he then Tatar.

21. Akim

We have 400 years of living under the Tatar yoke. We have many Tatar blood.

pmaitra likes this.