Mig-21 bison down

agentperry

a mig-21 bison crashed while making an attempt to land earlier today. it was different from the mig-21s crashed this year and yesteryear. it was a refurbished mig-21 which can accomodate two pilots and was used for training purpose. this is was done with the help of israel. its similar to F-7pg of PAF. reason for crash still unknown but technical snag is suspected.
good news pilots are safe.

MiG-21 crashes near Punjab highway, pilot safe - Hindustan Times

Galaxy

Country flag
IAF MiG-21 crashes in Rajasthan, pilot ejects safely

AIPUR: A MiG-21 combat aircraft of the IAF on Friday crashed near Uttarlai airport in Rajasthan's Barmer district but the pilot ejected safely.

The plane was on a routine sortie and the incident occurred at around 11.30am when the pilot was preparing for landing, he said.

The pilot, flying officer Amit, ejected safely, defence PRO S D Goswami said.

A court of inquiry has been ordered, he said. This is the sixth air crash involving IAF's fighter aircraft this year and the fifth belonging to the MiG-21 series warplane.

In view of the increasing number of accidents involving the MiG-21 aircraft type, the IAF has decided to phase them out by 2017.

The force is also planning to allow only experienced fighter pilots to fly the plane from next year.

Of the total 976 MiG-21s inducted in the service since 1960s, over half of them have been lost in air crashes.

[URL]http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/IAF-MiG-21-crashes-in-Rajasthan-pilot-ejects-safely/articleshow/10265400.cms
[/URL]

ganesh177

Country flag
Of the total 976 MiG-21s inducted in the service since 1960s, over half of them have been lost in air crashes.
jeeez
I dunno what is the point of flying these coffins anymore. IAF must be holding embarassing record of most plane crashes in world. Squadron levels have fallen to pathetic low.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I did not know the Bison had a crew of only 2. Is that normal for this aircraft?

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
*No source available*

Last edited:

JayATL

Here is where I see the lack of respect for lives by Indian Govt. I mean if this crap happened in the US as often as it happens with Mig 21 series- they would have grounded it all... just because the MOD in india pussyfooted around in getting them replaced in time, does not mean you risk your pilots lives. These monthly crashes it seems is getting to be ridiculous now.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
I agree - one pilot's life is far more important than all the mig-21s put together.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
It must be a mistake in reporting. Mig-21s are single seaters.
My mistake, thought is was an
[h=1]Myasishchev M-4[/h]
also called "Bison" (NATO code for Russian Bomber).

agentperry

mig-21 bison is an upgraded mig-21 which now accommodate two people( god know how). there is no photo proof but still all the defence/IAF personnel statement feature same specs. all bisons are not 2 seaters but yes few for training purpose have been converted. israel help was taken!!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles