Maruthu Pandyar - the great freedom fighters from Tamil Nadu

kayal

Tihar Jail
Banned
The Maruthu Pandyar brothers were the first to declare independence from British rule from Thiruvarangam Temple.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Nice. They declared Independence from Brits before the Hindian :)troll:) 1857 war. True Indian patriots

kayal

Tihar Jail
Banned
This thread belongs in military history!!!!!!!!!!

kayal

Tihar Jail
Banned
Mayfair, here is some history

The Maruthu Pandiyar brothers (Periya Maruthu & Chinna Maruthu) ruled Sivagangai, during the last part of the 18th century and they were the first to issue a proclamation of independence from the British rule from Trichy Thiruvarangam Temple, Tamil Nadu on June 10, 1801, which is 56 years before the North Indian rebellion - Sepoy mutiny of 1857.

British attacked Sivaganga in 1801. The Maruthu Pandiyars and their allies were quite successful and captured three districts from the British. The British considered it such a serious threat to their future in South Asia that they rushed additional troops from Britain to put down the Maruthu Pandiyars' rebellion. These forces surrounded the Maruthu Pandiyars' army at Kalayar Koil, and the latter scattered. The Maruthu Brothers and their top commanders escaped. They regrouped and fought the British and their allies at Viruppatchi, Dindigul and Cholapuram. While they won the battle at Viruppatchi, they lost the other two battles.

The Marudhu Pandiyars and many of their family members were captured at Cholapuram they were infamously hanged at same time on the English month of October 24, 1801.

kayal

Tihar Jail
Banned
History of Maruthu Pandiyar buried in Indian history books

Indian Government deliberately tries to hide historical facts such as Maruthu Pandiyar's fight against the British. Indian Government celebrated the 100-th anniversary of the Sepoy mutiny with great fanfare. There were numerous programs about the mutiny in the Indian Government controlled All India Radio. But not even a mention was made in All India Radio about Maruthu Pandiyar led rebellion against the British on its 150-th anniversary. [UPDATE added in October 2010: Indian Parliament commemorated in 2007 the 150th anniversary of north-Indian Sepoy Mutiny of 1857 as the First Indian Independence War but there was no such commemorat of the 200th anniversary of the south-Indian Vellore Mutiny in 2006. This seems to have irked the former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Ms. Jayalalithaa Jeyaram. On August 14, 2007, she expressed shock at the National Implementation Committee for Commemoration of the 150th Anniversary of the First War of Independence for not recognizing stalwarts and heroes from India's southern peninsula. She pointed out that chieftains from Tamil Nadu waged wars against British rule well before 1857. She recalled the role of Pulithevan, Velunachiyar, Muthuramalinga Vijayaragunatha Sethupathy and the Maruthu Pandiar brothers in the fight against British rule. She said, "Ms. Velunachiyar's role was no less than that of the Jhansi Rani". [Jhansi Rani was from north India.] In September 2010, Indian Government Ministry of Culture announced grants of Rupees 2 crore (20 million) each to conduct research on 12 freedom fighters from north-Indian Sepoy Mutiny but nothing to do research on south-Indian Vellore Mutiny or any of the freedom fighters from Tamil Nadu or other southern states. Thus Tamil Nadu's early wars against British rule were ignored and swept under the rug while north_indian wars are researched and publicized.

Health of the Tamil language: A French Perspective

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The Indian govt forgets it's soldiers as well. Forget going back over 150 years. For 50 years nobody recognized the great sacrifices of Indian soldiers in 1962.

For the first time I like Kayals thread. Thanks for letting us know about the freedom fighters from TN.

kayal

Tihar Jail
Banned

For the first time I like Kayals thread. .

I have that effect on people. I was arrested over a dozen times during my college days. Initially police treated me bad. Later they respected me. Near the end of college days SI always askede me to sit and chattecd with me. I even invited him to my wedding. He said it may seem inappproppriate for him to attend.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I have that effect on people. I was arrested over a dozen times during my college days. Initially police treated me bad. Later they respected me. Near the end of college days SI always askede me to sit and chattecd with me. I even invited him to my wedding. He said it may seem inappproppriate for him to attend.
Duh don't hijack and selectively quote.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its odd that you posting such articles, Its not that we praise such valor of our OWN BLOOD but its really odd to hear from someone who like and wish to see divided India same what brits did with Indians " Divide and Rule " we are not hindian or what ever the ************ you are calling us, we are all Indians, Bharatiyas..

Let it be Bengali, Punjabi, Kashmir, Tamil, Kerala, Assam, Gujarati all have there own culture and language but all are Indians as ONE and that is why we are standing against our same enemies, Sell your western propaganda nonsense to egoist goras not Patriotic and nationalist Indians..

And worst you are doing this in name of freedom fighter, Shame on you !

devgupt

Country flag
we are all Indians, Bharatiyas..

Let it be Bengali, Punjabi, Kashmir, Tamil, Kerala, Assam, Gujarati all have there own culture and language but all are Indians as ONE and that is why we are standing against our same enemies !
One for all, All for one :namaste:

kayal

Tihar Jail
Banned
Let it be Bengali, Punjabi, Kashmir, Tamil, Kerala, Assam, Gujarati all have there own culture and language but all are Indians as ONE

We, the people of Tamil Nadu would consider us Indians if the Hindi politicos whbo control the Indian gov consider Tamils as bros and sis.

That is not thde case. Even as Lankan bombers bombed Tamil civilians and hoispitals and massacred 40,000 civilans in about a month in 2009, India was training Lankan pilots in Chennai.

Even as Lankan troops shelled civilian camps and hospitals killing children and women and the old and the sick Tamils, India was training Lankan military officers in Oothakamandilam.

Think how we feel when we hear reports of Tamil women taken to Lankan military camps, gang raped, the their breasts cut off, leave them to bleed and die and dump the bodies of our women like garbagem even as India was hosting the Lankan president and calling Lanka its friend.

NO. we are not Indians because the Indian gov does not consider us as their bros or even as cousins.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Don't represent your self as 'WE' you are a disgraces..

Don`t give lectures us abt what happen in Srilanka, I bet you dont even care just using such argument for your own interests.

Don`t treat yourself as little princess, We ( Bengali, Punjabi, Kashmir, Tamil, Kerala, Assam, Gujarati ) all suffer the same in dirty politics..

We dont like you, We are tolerating you coz we are liberal forum and despite your views many consider you as there own, Don't take advantage of that if you have some remaining self-respect for your own..

It just you and Only YOU..

We, the people of Tamil Nadu would consider us Indians if the Hindi politicos whbo control the Indian gov consider Tamils as bros and sis.

That is not thde case. Even as Lankan bombers bombed Tamil civilians and hoispitals and massacred 40,000 civilans in about a month in 2009,

Think how we feel when we hear reports of Tamil women taken to Lankan military camps

NO. we are not Indians.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!

That is not thde case. Even as Lankan bombers bombed Tamil civilians and hoispitals and massacred 40,000 civilans in about a month in 2009, India was training Lankan pilots in Chennai.

Even as Lankan troops shelled civilian camps and hospitals killing children and women and the old and the sick Tamils, India was training Lankan military officers in Oothakamandilam.

Think how we feel when we hear reports of Tamil women taken to Lankan military camps, gang raped, the their breasts cut off, leave them to bleed and die and dump the bodies of our women like garbagem even as India was hosting the Lankan president and calling Lanka its friend.

NO. we are not Indians because the Indian gov does not consider us as their bros or even as cousins.
You are not Indian in anycase so naturally we dont care about you.

Not stop pretending to be an Indian, you weren't even born within Indian territory. Stop pretending to be from tamil nadu when you're actually a sri lankan tamil who ran away to the west because of sinhala. Such is your cowardice like your LTTE wankers that you abuse India instead of sri lanka who raped and killed your people.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles