'Liushou ertong' - Children of Migrant Workers in Guizhou

DaTang

Tihar Jail
Banned
Since some forum members blamed me on biased India report, I am sharing here some dirty drapes Chinese want to wash in home.
Liushou ertong aka Stayhome Kids, refers to migrant workers' children. In extreme poverty-stricken areas like Mountainous Guizhou and Yunnan,
active population all go to bigger cities to make more money, what they left behind are their Children and Elders. This are some photos
taken in 2010, things have been improved but not that much. Note, it is the poorest area in China, don't assume all our rural area is like this. and actually most our rural area is NOT like this.

The five children on the cart are all stayhome kids.

Besides school, they are expected to take up chores on farm like looking after sheep/goats, some minor labor in the fields.

Brother of Wei family, they haven't seen their parents for 5 years, note here, it is very loose the one child policy in rural area.

In a detached kitchen, Wang xiaoyan is boiling hot water to make some tea for his younger brother.

quote from the original text:
" They only have a 15 inch TV and landline is installed on the second floor" means even in such a remote area, power is accessible and they may choose landline over cell because mountains impacts signal.

link:
ͼƬ���£�̽�ù���ƶ�ɽ�塰���ض�ͯ��--�㽭����-�������

DaTang

Tihar Jail
Banned
Thank you for changing my topic MOD but you changed it wrong, it is not migrate workers in Guizhou, but the children of these workers in Guizhou

DaTang

Tihar Jail
Banned
and by the way, this is a photo album of Guiyang, Guizhou province's capital city, a fast developing city where some of these kids' parents are work hard to build up.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
In China, many migrant workers move to the city to earn more money and escape rural poverty. It can also be a chance to find new opportunities.

Liu Hong Liang is a manager working for an engineering parts firm. The firm has undergone major expansion which Hong Liang puts down to government policy, a boss with excellent business management skills and a united, positive workforce.

The manager has introduced a reward and punishment system with successful workers receiving bonuses and poor workers having their pay docked. Hong Liang says this has had a positive effect on the workforce and the business. About once a week, Hong Liang leaves the dormitory he shares with his co-workers and travels to his rural home thirty miles away. While there he works on his parents' farm.

He left the farm to improve life for himself and his family and to see more of the world. By moving away he feels he can contribute more to his family by saving money for his parents. Although he sometimes thinks of moving to a larger city, Hong Liang feels he lacks the education to do so. He also feels he will return to his rural home when he grows older..

Watch the video.

BBC - Learning Zone Class Clips - Liu Hong Liang - Chinese migrant worker - Geography Video

DaTang

Tihar Jail
Banned
Frankly speaking, miserable as they are, still much better then most Indian rurual schools.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Frankly speaking, miserable as they are, still much better then most Indian rurual schools.
Nope, I don't think so.....Poverty in China is a concealed affair......Poor Indian school children get free education and Mid-Day meals.....that is no way present in China!

China is all glitters from a distance and from inside it's as hollow as a bell! Poor Chinese are a forgotten lot and they will create a revolution to get free from the clutches of ruthless authoritarian dictatorship of CCP. Chinese slave citizenry will soon have to rise to free itself from the clutches of slavery!

DaTang

Tihar Jail
Banned
Nope, I don't think so.....Poverty in China is a concealed affair......Poor Indian school children get free education and Mid-Day meals.....that is no way present in China!

China is all glitters from a distance and from inside it's as hollow as a bell! Poor Chinese are a forgotten lot and they will create a revolution to get free from the clutches of ruthless authoritarian dictatorship of CCP. Chinese slave citizenry will soon have to rise to free itself from the clutches of slavery!
Provided these school kids can go to school to get the lunch right? Actually, a great percentage of them can't, thye either do not have transportation, or there are no school. Poor family just barely got everyone fed. I noticed with a very interesting phenomenon, correct me if I am wrong, a lot, I mean really a lot indian children, some in bigger cities, don't have shoes, they running around in their bare feet, don't say it is a cultural thing.

and it is unfair to compare your New Delhi, Bangalore schools with those of extremely poor Chinese villages.

Your crisis is poors become poorer and number are increasing
The 2011 Global Hunger Index (GHI) Report places India amongst the three countries where the GHI between 1996 and 2011 went up from 22.9 to 23.7, while 78 out of the 81 developing countries studied, including Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Kenya, Nigeria, Myanmar, Uganda, Zimbabwe and Malawi, succeeded in improving hunger condition.[7]

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Provided these school kids can go to school to get the lunch right? Actually, a great percentage of them can't, thye either do not have transportation, or there are no school. Poor family just barely got everyone fed. I noticed with a very interesting phenomenon, correct me if I am wrong, a lot, I mean really a lot indian children, some in bigger cities, don't have shoes, they running around in their bare feet, don't say it is a cultural thing.

and it is unfair to compare your New Delhi, Bangalore schools with those of extremely poor Chinese villages.

The 2011 Global Hunger Index (GHI) Report places India amongst the three countries where the GHI between 1996 and 2011 went up from 22.9 to 23.7, while 78 out of the 81 developing countries studied, including Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Kenya, Nigeria, Myanmar, Uganda, Zimbabwe and Malawi, succeeded in improving hunger condition.[7]
In India mid day meals for children is mandatory.

It is financed by the Govt.

The aim behind the mid day meal is to ensure that children come to school, get an education and alongside get a frugal but nutritious meal so that they remain somewhat healthy.

It is all India and not confined to cities and town.

Running around in barefoot is indeed a cultural thing. I am sure you have not heard of the barefoot footballers of Calcutta who defeated the British premier team.

You possible may not have noticed, but Indian sports such as kho kho or kabbadi, it is all played barefoot. Bare feet gives a better grip and keeps one feet firm on the ground, even under slippery conditions.

One of the reasons why people prefer to move barefoot especially in the rural areas is that the weather is moist and one may have to walk through water or foliage. If you do not air your feet, you get what is known as Athlete's Foot which is fungal infection that is hard to cure and is caused through moisture and sweat.

Take dress for instance/ Saris and dhotis allow air to circulate through the body. Wearing pants and shirt constricts this air circulation resulting in prickly heat and the like.

In Australia, people prefer to move barebodied and in shorts. In the UK that would be as good as being nude, but not so in Australia.

It is all about weather and the environment.

Western ways are not the sole parameter to equate with being civilised.

In China eating dogs is par for the course, especially in North China, but is reprehensible in other parts of the world.

But then, one could wonder how is Frogs Leg a delicacy in the western world or even eating raw fish eggs and being enthused as being highly sophisticated with caviar and being classy!

Poor in India are not getting poorer because there is the NREGA.

Check that out by Goggling!

On the issue of Hunger, it has different meanings for different peoples of the world.

For Americans, if you can't constantly have coffee or keep chewing something or the other, it would be hunger.

There are countries that have one meal a day and that is not hunger.

Then there are countries where eating grubs, larvae, insects, the creepy crawlies of the land and sea is adequate, but to the western world of having three meals and elevenses and tea in the afternoon that would be hunger and would reflect in their sponsored statistics.

So life has a differnt meaning for different people.

Last edited:

amoy

Guizhou is the poorest province, with fabulous limestone karst landscape which's barren not good for agriculture . I've been there. Hans are okay, but those minority living in mountains are in bad conditions. Food is no problem but education and healthcare, and job opportunity is, for minority.

Guizhou was brought into the empire as late as Ming Dynasty with a huge influx of migrants from Jiangsu and Jiangxi provinces in the reach of Yangtze River. Han in Guizhou still preserved some of their ancient traditons from their hometowns.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

It maybe true that in China the poor or the rural folks have no govt programmes or even facilities to have food as would be eaten under formal conditions.

However, in China, the Chinese have a varied diet which may appear odd to the westerners or even Indians and others. But then they can scour the countryside for such 'exotic' food and hence would not really be hungry or suffering from malnutrition.

If modernity alone means not being hungry, one wonders how did the ancient hunter-gatherers existed and have the strength to ward of enemies, both human and animal?

Let us not get awed by western standards and scales of hunger and happiness.

In the Vietnam war, it required 50 tons of stuff to keep the US troops in action. And still they were unhappy and so they lost.

Compare it to the Vietcong, who existed on rice and whatever that he carried in a small cloth bag hanging on a stick as he moved on!

So, hunger, happiness and contentment differs country to country.

Hence, western standards are not really the common denominator.

Haven't you heard the famous lines - people in the third wold exist on less that $2 a day?

True. but then $2 goes a long way in third wold countries, unlike in the West!

One must analyse these western statistics with the realities on the ground and not merely swallow it up and digest it as truth of the season.

Visit British sites and see how inflamed they are that India does not want their aid.

Christ, why?

We have money and so why must we remain as a country with a begging bowl, when we have discarded the begging bowl long back?

No, but it hurts the British ego that their colony has come of age and are not beholden to them!

Hard truth that the west cannot swallow.

And so flows the Hudson, Thames, Seine, Volga, Hwang ho, Mekong and the Ganges!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Guizhou is the poorest province, with fabulous limestone karst landscape which's barren not good for agriculture . I've been there. Hans are okay, but those minority living in mountains are in bad conditions. Food is no problem but education and healthcare, and job opportunity is, for minority.

Guizhou was brought into the empire as late as Ming Dynasty with a huge influx of migrants from Jiangsu and Jiangxi provinces in the reach of Yangtze River. Han in Guizhou still preserved some of their ancient traditons from their hometowns.
Any people who live in remote areas will have hardship, but man is resilient and can adapt to the environment.

Education maybe hard to get by in these areas, but then the Govt has to ensure that education reaches them.

Education alone brings in emancipation and understanding of the environment and governance.

mikhail

Country flag

and all chinis are living in lalaland right:rofl:!mate don't try to act smart at least in front of us as we all know about your country's dirty secret!your govt. suppress the voice of the poor people there in china but in India we have a democracy hence its very transparent in nature.if your govt releases all the datas today your country'll probably have the largest no. of malnutritioned people in this world!so here's an advice for you:people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones at others:wave:!

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
@Ray Sir has aptly explained and disected all the points made by me and Da Tang! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles