Kudos to Hare Krishna (ISKCON) movement for Akshaya Patra Program

Tamil Arasan

Kudos to Hare Krishna (ISKCON) movement for providing free and healthy meal to 1.3 million school going poor kids every day through their Akshaya Patra Programe...:thumb:

In India, the World's Largest School Lunch Program

Narasimha Das is on his way to feed 169,379 hungry children. A devotee of Lord Krishna, Das oversees operations in an industrial-size kitchen in the Hindu religious town of Vrindaban, about a three-hour drive from New Delhi. As he reaches work, the pebbles on the facility's driveway crunch softly in the semidarkness of a nippy October morning.

It's only 3 a.m., but the kitchen, run by the Akshaya Patra Foundation, already exudes the warm fragrance of freshly baked chapati. Thirty men in overalls and mouth and hair guards silently labor over tons of wheat flour and dough. They have less than five hours to make tens of thousands of rounds of Indian flatbread that will be loaded onto heat-insulated, dust-free delivery vans and transported to 1,516 schools in and around Vrindaban. (See pictures of India's changing visual landscape.)

As the world's cameras focus on India this week, with U.S. President Barack Obama making his first visit to New Delhi, scenes like this one — and the problems it underscores — are not likely to capture much of the international spotlight. Despite its optimistic economy and growing geopolitical clout, India continues to be home to more undernourished children than any other country; 42% of the world's underweight children under age 5 live here. A global hunger index released this month by the International Food Policy Research Institute ranked India 67th out of 84 countries on indicators like child malnourishment, child mortality and calorie deficiency.

It's hardly a new problem. To address the enduring and intertwined problems of hunger, child malnutrition and illiteracy, India launched the Mid-Day Meal Scheme, the largest school-lunch program in the world, back in the 1960s. Today the program feeds 120 million students every day across the nation. Akshaya Patra, a Bangalore-based nonprofit, is its largest nongovernmental partner, running 17 kitchens across eight states and providing hot meals to more than 1.26 million children every day at their schools. The program aspires to feed 5 million children by 2020; described by Obama as a "powerful demonstration of what's possible when people work together," it today runs on a public-private partnership model, with 65% of its funds provided by the government.

Das, president of the Vrindaban operation, tells TIME the Vrindaban kitchen now makes 250,000 flatbreads, four tons of rice, more than two tons of lentils and between five and six tons of vegetables each morning. The menu, developed with the needs of growing children and local food habits in mind, consists of rice or chapatis and a different kind of Indian soup, like daal or kadhi (a soup made from yogurt and flour), with vegetables and, once a week, dessert.

The subject of a 2007 Harvard study about time management, Akshaya Patra began providing cooked, nutritious meals on its own initiative for 1,500 schoolchildren in Bangalore in 2000, a year before India's highest court made it mandatory for the government to provide cooked meals to children in all government and government-assisted primary schools each day. "It was shocking how much a meal, which we take for granted, meant to these children," says Chanchalapathi Dasa, vice chairman of the Akshaya Patra Foundation. In 2006 the NGO hooked up with the federal Mid-Day Meal Scheme, which has been a huge success and is seen as key to helping India meet its Millennium Development Goals of eradicating extreme poverty and hunger and achieving universal primary education. That program's funds increased from approximately $670 million in 2005-06 to slightly more than $1 billion in 2006-07. (See pictures from Obama's Asia trip.)

Despite its success, Akshaya Patra's guiding principle has remained the same: that no children in India will miss out on education because they are too hungry to attend. For more than 13 million children in India, attending school is not a priority because if they don't work they will go hungry. Despite repeated requests from other parts of the developing world, Akshaya Patra wants to remain focused on India. "We have enough hungry children to feed in India," Dasa says.

Later in the morning, the Akshaya Patra delivery van arrives at the Gopalgarh Primary School, a little more than a mile away from the kitchen. The children look out expectantly as the familiar thud of the food containers being unloaded from the truck reach their ears. Laxmi Binodini, the headmistress, says attendance has increased from 120 to 200 students since the program started in her school four years ago. The number of girls has doubled. "Parents now have an incentive to send the girls to school. Previously they would be taken off after [age 9] to stay at home and do the cooking and other chores," Binodini says. A survey by Akshaya Patra showed that since its kitchen started in Vrindaban in 2006, attendance in the town's schools rose from 80.6% to 92.4% and the proportion of underweight children dropped from 38% to 26%.

When the gong sounds for lunch break at noon, the children tumble out of the classrooms. They wait while the teachers dole out the soft chapatis and steaming lentils and vegetables. Laxman, a 12-year-old boy, returns for seconds. In keeping with its name, which means an inexhaustible bowl of food, Akshaya Patra allows as many helpings as the children want — as long as they finish what's on their plate.
Akshaya Patra and Mid-Day Meal Scheme Feed India's Students - TIME

Tamil Arasan

Barack Obama's letter of Appreciation
While Obama was on his campaign trail, he heard about Akshaya Patra mid-day meal programme of India and took time off to send a congratulatory note. In the note sent to the head of Akshaya Patra office in Boston, he writes, "Your use of efficient and innovative business practices to scale up in just a few years from feeding 1,500 school children daily to almost a million is a powerful demonstration of what's possible when people work together.

Obama's Original Letter:- http://www.akshayapatra.org/sites/default/files/Letter-from-Obama.pdf

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
God work for providing food, i think that is laudable work.

Wonderful work.

However my head aches when i listen to Evangelist chanting of any kind.

Tamil Arasan

God work for providing food, i think that is laudable work.

Wonderful work.

However my head aches when i listen to Evangelist chanting of any kind.
Could you please elobrate which part you found the so called "Evangelist chanting" in the above video or in the Akshaya Patra Program...so far I have not seen any Hare Rama Hare Krishna devotes going and converting other religious members to Hindu faith in the name of charity work in my 27 years life period...

Last edited:

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
I used to dismiss ISKCON as Abrahamic version of Hinduism. However, I now realize that this is the correct method to counter Christian evangelism.

devgupt

Country flag
When Steve Jobs was in college he didnt have enough money to buy food regularly.so he used to walk to the nearest ISCKON temple to eat the free meal.

Tamil Arasan

When Steve Jobs was in college he didnt have enough money to buy food regularly.so he used to walk to the nearest ISCKON temple to eat the free meal.
Very true!!! - in his commencement speech to the graduates of Stanford University in 2005 he says how he survived on the Hare Krishna temple food...below is the video link of that speech a truly great one by a great human being...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Lets not go offtrack..

There are various threads in our forum dedicated to various discussion..

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
"First World" Kanneda is worse than an African country today!

The land of the Drugs, Khalistani, Criminals, Illegal, Unskilled PENDU Immigrants!!! They are even thinking of giving shelter to Faltustinis also!!! :crazy:

It seems like Kanneda is no longer fit to be a free country, it needs to be COLONIZED so it can be civilized! Trudoo represents REAL KANNEDA!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Look at the comments, these WHITE ZOMBIES are criticizing their "govt" but shit scared of even naming TERRORIST Trudo who leads this SHITTY country called Kanneda! :lol:

View attachment 228846

View attachment 228847
Drug addiction is a lifestyle problem with Goras. Go to Nuremberg in Germany and see how streets are lined up with addicts and needles lying all around. The same in France and Belgium.

This has more to do with their unsustainable way of living:

1. They don't have any discipline when it comes to personal life and relationships. Everyone sleeps around with everyone like an animal which results in a sociopathic mentality and inability to attach to one person.

2. Zero-sum mindset. They don't have the concept of adjusting with each other - always yelling and hating on one another and showing their partner down. Today they are oversexed or sex-deprived extremes of a society.

3. Neanderthal mentality of going by instinct and feelings rather than learning to fence oneself socially. The lack of any value system makes it 100x worse.

4. Christianity itself has become a failure and Islam is way too imposing - even those who take to Eastern spirituality, turn it into a fanatical pursuit rather than balancing themselves. Whether it is the Western hippie "boosts" or the Hare Krishnas calling themselves different sects, their versions of Dharma are so twisted that it shocks me when I hear what they think Dharmic texts are.

Result?

They live an empty materialistic life where they can afford different things but fail at forming meaningful relationships, have broken families, kids being raised by a degenerate globalist ecosystem, rampant depressions and thus .... drugs as the only way to escape.

Those goras who migrate to Asian countries have ZERO PROBLEMS. Ever seen them do this shit in India, Thailand or Vietnam? Maybe some weed in Goa and here and there for some fun, but they are so much in awe of the local cultures that they want to emulate and become a part of it, forgetting drugs to be addicted.

justaguy

Country flag
the Hare Krishnas calling themselves different sects, their versions of Dharma are so twisted that it shocks me when I hear what they think Dharmic texts are.
They are pulling people out of drugs and materialistic lifestyle, doing ghar wapsi of many xtians to Hinduism and have spread Hinduism more than anyone else outside India.
Don't know why people on this forum constantly have problem with Iskcon. Bunch of keyboard warriors who probably are ashamed to wear tilak in real life in front of mlecchas. So what if they are a bit different? As long as they are doing ghar wapsi, I am all in support of them.

Azaad

Country flag
They are pulling people out of drugs and materialistic lifestyle, doing ghar wapsi of many xtians to Hinduism and have spread Hinduism more than anyone else outside India.
I think this part is the key here. All their proselytization activities are outside of India wheras we need them here . Having said that we need an organisation which proselytizes in the west too but with their deep pockets & networks , they'd be able to mount a more effective challenge to the church ecosystem here as compared to other local Sanatani organisations out here.

RN in India as far as Sikhi goes it's the deras who're preventing wholesale conversion of the Mazhabi Sikhs to Christianity not the SGPC ( where I've read reports / tweets whose veracity I can't confirm that the jathedar of the Akal Takht who has a PhD in Islamic studies once told a delegation of Sikh men & women from Paxtan who'd sought refuge in India from religious persecution complaining about the situation of Sikhs & Sikhi there that this is how Muslims are but not what Islam is by way of explanation / justification . If that's not all when the issue of Mazhabi Sikhs converting in significant numbers was brought to his notice , he claimed he couldn't care less if that's how lower caste Sikhs felt ) , it's the likes of Mata Amritanandmayi , Jaggi Vasudev , Satya Sai Baba when he was alive & hundreds of lay preachers & katha vachaks who're in the frontline of prevention of conversion mostly to Christianity out here .

ISKCON doesn't feature in that list though they run plenty of other programs like Akshaya Patra , etc. Meanwhile ISKCON in Bali

This is oft levelled charge against ISKCON in India as well. Their aggressive promotion of Vaishnavism especially Krishna worship & vegetarianism has brought them at odds with the Shakti / Tantra / Devi tradition of worship with the panch makara or elements of it followed by the Shaktipeeths & other temples dedicated to Gram Devis & Devataa which lay emphasis on Pashu Bali to the extent that even the judiciary has started echoing their stance on this aspect of worship in Sanatan Dharma banning pashu bali left right & centre wherever they can .

justaguy

Country flag

This is oft levelled charge against ISKCON in India as well. Their aggressive promotion of Vaishnavism especially Krishna worship & vegetarianism has brought them at odds with the Shakti / Tantra / Devi tradition of worship with the panch makara or elements of it followed by the Shaktipeeths & other temples dedicated to Gram Devis & Devataa which lay emphasis on Pashu Bali to the extent that even the judiciary has started echoing their stance on this aspect of worship in Sanatan Dharma banning pashu bali left right & centre wherever they can .
1. Aggressive promotion of vegetarianism and Veganism is done by North Indian Hindus and not by Iskcon, It is BJP that promoted militant vegetarianism. Some privileged brahmins like acharya prashant are now promoting veganism aggressively, even telling kids not to consume milk.
2. Bali pratha was vehemently criticised again by northie hindus.
3. The ban of pashu bali again is due to the paranoia of north indian hindus in general, especially from areas of UP, Haryana, Rajasthan, Gujarat, etc.

Master Chief

Country flag
1. Aggressive promotion of vegetarianism and Veganism is done by North Indian Hindus and not by Iskcon, It is BJP that promoted militant vegetarianism. Some privileged brahmins like acharya prashant are now promoting veganism aggressively, even telling kids not to consume milk.
2. Bali pratha was vehemently criticised again by northie hindus.
3. The ban of pashu bali again is due to the paranoia of north indian hindus in general, especially from areas of UP, Haryana, Rajasthan, Gujarat, etc.
BJP wants all Hindus to have the food habits of Brahmins..No one is forcing Brahmins to eat meat.. Similarly Brahmins and Jains should keep their nose out of other Hindus' food habits..
This militant vegetarianism is one of the reasons of child stunting in India as BJP is against eggs in schools in many states in India.. Happy BJP kicked out of Karnataka.. although I want BJP at the national level..
Freedom to eat meat is more important than any f**king Hindu Consolidation to me..
We do pashu bali in my ancestral village to Gram devta every year.. Used to love it as a kid..

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles