Korea News & Discussion

Discussion in 'Indo Pacific & East Asia' started by nrupatunga, Oct 6, 2014.

1. nrupatunga

nrupatunga Senior Member Senior Member

Kim Jong-un falls off the radar as North and South Korea agree to talk

3. ezsasa

ezsasa Senior Member Senior Member

re: Korea News & Discussion

Looks like North Koreans have figured out that they won't be attacked as long as they keep talking,especially when their leader is sick. That would mean this dance will continue till their leader is ok.

4. nrupatunga

But who is going to attack NoKo?? China and to an extent even russia, will not want any action in its backyard.

5. ezsasa

ezsasa Senior Member Senior Member

That is the whole problem, nobody wants to attack them. It's just plain paranoia.

6. anupamsurey

anupamsurey Regular Member

yeah, you can sum it up, no ko is the second pakistan. both of hem have many similarities.

7. Dhairya Yadav

Dhairya Yadav Regular Member

Coup in NK? :rofl:
    Looks like some one is bullying the fatty supreme leader !

8. amoy

amoy Senior Member Senior Member

nothing like coup. Kim suffers from gout and a medical team has been dispatched from Russia according to a report from Moscow.

NK is very active recently in diplomacy with Japan, Russia and now SK. very likely some breakthrough with Japan though Abe has been cautioned by Uncle not to move too fast (such as to visit Pyongyang suddenly).

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

9. nrupatunga

Why this sudden diplomatic activity?? And also what breakthrough with japan??

Also what is chinese media saying on all these??

10. Zebra

Zebra Senior Member Senior Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/07/world/asia/two-koreas-exchange-fire-at-sea-border.html?_r=0

By CHOE SANG-HUNOCT. 6, 2014

11. amoy

Kim Jung-Un has steered NK to shift to economic development as priority. Meanwhile Japanese PM Abe seeks to break diplomatic isolation since getting sour with China, S.Korea and Russia due to territorial spats and sanctions on Russia after the Ukraine crisis additionally. Japan has tried to tip a balance btwn 2 Koreas (playing one against the other) despite the superficial anti-NK stance.

North Korea's business - Global Times

Regarding NK-Japan relations

Inoki meets with North Korea's ceremonial head of state | The Japan Times
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Top court suspends permit for Chongryon property sale to developer
    http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/07/16/national/politics-diplomacy/u-s-warns-abe-visiting-north-korea/
    TASS: Russia - North Korea FM comes on visit to Moscow

NK athletes at the Asian Games Inchon
    [​IMG]

Many S.Koreans are in favour of resuming "reconciliation" policies of previous presidents, and "reunification" . They wave the "peninsula flag" while NK flag is forbidden in SK.
    [​IMG]

12. amoy

@Casper The difference btwn NK and SK's claims over the western sea (the Yellow Sea in Chinese) border lines

What below map indicates is not the latest incident
    [​IMG]

Usually NK patrol boats cover their fishing trawlers in the disputed water - the fishing grounds. Both sides normally don't shoot at each other, but just make warning shots .

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  13. nrupatunga

[​IMG]

14. amoy

Is South Korea ready to take over control of troops on peninsula? - News - Stripes

:p These buddies all want a free ride with Uncle.

15. nrupatunga

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/520443461963902977
    [tweet]520443461963902977[/tweet]

So has he been removed?? Is his sister the new "Dear Leader" or "Supreme Leader" or whatever??

If he has been removed, wonder what is going on in SoKo, japan, china, russia, and usa intelligence agencies?? When did they get the news?? What are they doing on this?? It would interesting to be the fly on the wall in those offices.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  16. amoy

Can't call my self a big fan of Kim but objectively speaking he (and his team) has a pretty good grip over the country. The stability during his absence just attests to this. And NK is improving its economy steadily. Mark my word!~!~ Don't get carried away with those "leaks" from the rumour mill. Perhaps South Koreans like Israelis are the best at psy-war :pound:

Pyongyang - Not isolated but with regular tourists
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. nrupatunga

North Korea's Kim Jong Un Ends Long Public Absence

18. AVERAGE INDIAN

AVERAGE INDIAN EXORCIST Senior Member

[​IMG]

19. Kshatriya87

Kshatriya87 Senior Member Senior Member

The worst dictator of todays age is back. I feel bad that he is still alive. I was hoping he would be dead.

20. amoy

deleted double

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  21. amoy

Rogers says Korea to unify within 5 years
    Rogers says Korea to unify within 5 years
    OFF TOPIC with Jim Rogers

By Daniel P. Collins

October 10, 2014 • Reprints

The Alpha Pages: We and our readers are interested to know what you learned on your trip to North Korea.

Jim Rogers: People have mobile phones everywhere. I was allowed to take my mobile phone into the country and my computer. I could not do that before. They didn’t work, but I could take them into the country. I could have applied to the government to get access, don’t know if they would give it to me, but I was only there five days.

Many Asian countries are having goods manufactured in North Korea. They are doing a lot of business. A lot of things are happening already, more than I realized. I certainly knew the Chinese were pouring in. When I crossed the border I was amazed that there were hundreds of Chinese crossing the border. I went and saw the new docks that the Chinese and Russians are building. I was in a town called Rason. Rason is the Northern-most ice-free port in Asia. The Russians have just built a new dock there. Everything I am telling you is happening now. It is not something that is going to happen. This is all new stuff that America is not talking about because it takes a while for American bureaucrats to catch on to what is going on in the world. It is exciting; unfortunately since I am a citizen of the land of the free there is nothing I can do.

TAP: You talk about investing. Are there any industries there to invest in?

JR: In the 1970s North Korea was richer than South Korea; communism can ruin anything, it certainly ruined North Korea. They have vast mineral resources that can be exploited, will be exploited. The communists didn’t do a very good job but there is plenty of stuff to be exploited. Fishing: They have coastlines on both sides of the border. Manufacturing: They are cheaper than China, probably cheaper than most places in the world.

TAP: Is the new regime building a manufacturing base similar to what China did several decades ago?

JR: I was only in this one region this time but I saw that manufacturing is exploding. One company I saw went from having three or four factories five years ago to having 16 factories. Small, but that is the sort of thing that is happening.

TAP: Is this all happening under the radar? Do you have any expectation that there will be an official [reform]? A free market experiment [as] in China?

JR: The [United States] will be the last to know and certainly the last to announce just as we were in China, just as we were in Russia, just as we were in Myanmar. It’s happening. The Japanese went there and had a big wrestling festival. Wrestlers from all over the world were there. They had an international marathon in North Korea this year. You can take bicycle tours in North Korea now. This is not something that is going to happen, it is happening now. And these things were totally inconceivable three years ago before the old man died but it is all happening. You don’t read about it in the American press because the American press is controlled by the State Department and by American propaganda. Japanese Prime Minister Abe loosened some of the sanctions against North Korea. You don’t know about it because you live in [America].

It’s happening because of the kid. [Kim Jong-un] grew up in Switzerland. He knows it’s a different world. There is a black market now in just about everything. The Koreans know there is all sorts of stuff.

TAP: Where do you see this going: A year from now, five years from now and 10 years from now?

JR: North and South Korea will merge within five years and then Korea will be the most exciting country in the world for a decade or two. No one else will agree with that but I will remind you that if someone said in 1985 that Germany would be unified in five years they would have the same reaction you did.

TAP: Technically South Korea and the United States are still at war with North Korea; doesn’t America have to have a role in having that happen?

JR: America still has [28,500] troops stationed in South Korea. America is part of the situation; part of the problem if you ask me because they put on these war games every year. If country X is putting on war games with Canada every year what do you think America’s reaction would be? They have these war games every year, partly because they have always had these war games and bureaucracy grinds very slowly. I had dinner with the South Korean Defense minister earlier this year and I said to him — he knew about my predictions — why don’t you call off the war games next year. He was shocked, he never thought of such a thing.

TAP: Hasn’t North Korea fired on South Korea recently?

JR: You read the American press. What happened was South Korea and American were having war games shooting live ammunition in rehearsal and a lot of it landed on a North Korean island and the guys shot back. What would you do? Yeah that happened. Not the way it was presented in the American press.

TAP: North Korea has been a force for destabilization in the world; the United States spends a lot of money helping to defend South Korea so you would think this would be good news and welcome. Why isn’t the United States part of this?

JR: You would think everything that you just said. It would be fantastic for America, for Korea, for the world, for Northeast Asia if this stops. In America you have no clue as to what is going on. There are forces at work that prosper from, thrive on this state of affairs.

TAP: Does not being a part of this damage the United States in terms of global competition?

JR: We don’t want this to happen. We have [28,500] troops in South Korea and with reunification those troops will have to leave. The pentagon likes having troops stationed in Northeast Asia. When reunification comes I assure you part of the deal is going to be American troops go home. There are lots of people who defend the status quo. It happens with Cuba. Many people are [investing] in Cuba, not us.

TAP: Were you able to talk to any government officials?

JR: Yeah, I went to see them, they want me to invest; they want us all to invest. There is a whole department designed to attract foreign investment. There were all sorts of incentives they were giving, etc. I had to say I am sorry, I’d like to do something but I am an American citizen and it is illegal. I am now in the process of trying to find out what is illegal and what isn’t. I have the impression that everything is illegal.

TAP: Did you meet will Kim Jong-un or any of his trade ministers?

JR: I was in Rason. I wanted to go to Rason because that is where the Russians just rebuilt the railroad across Siberia into Rason and that is where they are rebuilding the port. Rason is going to become the most important port in Asia in the next decade or two. If you put goods on the train in Rason, they get to Berlin two weeks earlier [than the current alternative]. Putin knows this, the Koreans know this, the Chinese just put in a railroad across China and Kazakhstan to get things to Europe much faster so geography is changing as we speak. You wouldn’t know it if you watch (American TV).

I went to the market, you could get anything. Stuff that I don’t even have myself. It is all there. All the food you want. If you want ice cream you got it. Good ice cream.

TAP: From what you said there appears to be an acceptance of this even in the South. Are there signs of a softening of the tensions, some cooperation?

JR: I was quoted on the front page of the largest South Korean newspaper in December talking about unification coming, and that it would make Korea the most exciting country in the world. You would then have a country of 75 million people on the Chinese border with vast natural resources in the North with cheap, educated, disciplined labor combined with vast amounts of capital and knowledge in the South. There is no country in the world that would be as exciting. To my shock and delight, the president of South Korea in her New Year’s address talked about how this American said it is going to be a jackpot when we unite. Most politicians would have ignored it. She didn’t, she picked up on it and said ‘this could be a jackpot for Korea.’ So some people are thinking about it. The polls now favor unification in the South. Even Japan is opening up to the changes. The biggest opponent at this point is Washington, D.C. The Chinese and Russians are all in there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Interesting insights. and DPRK urges Seoul to respond to proposal for reunification through loose federation

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    N.Koreans on the border river

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014