ISRO General News and Updates

Prashant12

Country flag
Desi satellite to have three improved atomic clocks

Chennai: IRNSS-1H, with three rubidium atomic clocks of an improved design, will replace the first of the seven Indian Regional Navigational Satellite System or NaVIC, when it takes off on board a PSLV from Sriharikota on Thursday. The rubidium atomic clocks, made by Astrium, a European aerospace manufacturer, is meant to provide accurate locational data.

The new satellite is being launched as IRNSS-1A's atomic clocks stopped functioning. However, the satellite will continue to be used for other functions as only the clocks are found to be faulty.

Director of space application centre, Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro), Tapan Mishra said that issues like temperature, rubidium bulb that produce light and electronic power supply resulted in the failure of the atomic clocks installed in IRNSS-1A. Navigation satellites require precise time to measure accurate location. IRNSS-1A was launched on July 1, 2013. Last year, Isro scientists found that all three atomic clocks installed in the satellite stopped.

"We have addressed these anomalies and have improved the design of the clocks installed in the new satellite," he said.

Mishra explained they have to measure the satellite's position at an accuracy of 0.5m and atomic clocks help in determining it.

"The clocks that failed are the first set of clocks we received. We have improved the design in the subsequent satellites. Usually, there is a probability of the clocks failing in the first three-year time frame. Also, we are not the only one who has had problems with the clocks," he said.

Atomic clocks in Glonass, Russia's navigation satellite system and Galileo, the European Union's navigation satellite system have also failed earlier.

Isro had imported 27 sophisticated timekeepers, which run on the element rubidium, for nine satellites of the navigation system. Seven of the satellites are now in orbit and two of them are on standby.
In an earlier launch, Isro chairman Kiran Kumar said the failure of the atomic clocks in one of the seven satellites in orbit, will not affect the performance of the navigation system.

"The original mission was identified with seven satellites and two spare satellites. A minimum of four satellites are required to provide services. We have six fully functional ones. The services from these satellites are available and companies have started building hardware to use these resources," he said.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...proved-atomic-clocks/articleshow/60266941.cms

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
Today's big launch: PSLV-C39 at 1900 hrs.

Propellant filling operations are completed.

(C39 on SLP)

Live telecast (35 mins before launch)
http://www.isro.gov.in/pslv-c39-irnss-1h-mission/live-webcast-of-pslv-c39-irnss-1h-mission-launch

PSLV-C39/IRNSS-1H Brochure

http://www.isro.gov.in/pslv-c39-irnss-1h-mission/pslv-c39-irnss-1h-brochure

Information on IRNSS-1H

IRNSS-1H will be launched into a sub Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (sub-GTO) with a 284 km perigee and 20,650 km apogee with an inclination of 19.2 deg with respect to the equatorial plane. After injection into this preliminary orbit, the two solar panels of IRNSS-1H are automatically deployed in quick succession and the Master Control Facility (MCF) at Hassan takes control of the satellite and performs the initial orbit raising manoeuvres using the Liquid Apogee Motor (LAM) of the satellite, thereby finally placing it in its designated slot in the inclined Geosynchronous orbit.

While IRNSS-1H joins the constellation for providing navigation services, IRNSS-1A will be used for messaging services. IRNSS 1H comes with more flexibility in service and it is compatible with the satellites, which are in orbit.

Payloads: Like its other IRNSS predecessors, IRNSS-1H also carries two types of payloads – navigation payload and ranging payload. The navigation payload of IRNSS-1H will transmit navigation service signals to the users. This payload will be operating in L5-band and S-band. Highly accurate Rubidium atomic clocks are part of the navigation payload of the satellite. The ranging payload of IRNSS-1H consists of a C-band transponder, which facilitates accurate determination of the range of the satellite. IRNSS-1H also carries Corner Cube Retro Reflectors for laser ranging.

Curtain Raiser (English)
http://www.isro.gov.in/pslv-c39-irnss-1h-mission/curtain-raiser-video-of-irnss-1h-english

Mission Gallery
http://www.isro.gov.in/pslv-c39-irnss-1h-mission/pslv-c39-irnss-1h-mission-gallery

kurup

Country flag
PSLV mission failed .......... Heat shield failed to seperate .

indiatester

Country flag
It was sad to watch today. Even my kids were able to notice that the pre-flight prediction to observed path were not matching.
Heat shield not separating is a shame.

kunal1123

Country flag

................................................................................................................................

mahesh

Country flag
Well there is nothing wrong with the system but just the heat shield failed to open.
My guy feeling There might be other story to this , I will put it when I get more credential.

Sent from my irisX8 using Tapatalk

Trinetra

Country flag
1st failure.. after 38 successful launch.. I wouldnt mind.. not everything is perfect in this world.. i would predict software hacking.. because range director never mentioned Heat shield separated event ever occurred..

xeaaex

Is this some kind of sabotage? Because of recent events ?
Inquiry committee should be setup.
Any comments from experts?

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
Pakis will be celebrating tonight...................................

Trinetra

Country flag
Pakis will be celebrating tonight...................................
let them who care.. they dont deserve our attention also..

on topic.. cant the heat shield be separated right now and put satellite into orbit because the altitude is already achieved??

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
By the way it is PSLV -XL it's a new design I believe.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
satellite separated inside the heat shield , partial failure...

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
This satellite was the LAST one to be deployed, India would have got it's own navigational platform.. IRNSS.

Trinetra

Country flag
This could be sabotage act.. i would put my money on Chinese .. somehow they may penetrated the ISRO network.. and changed the code

Global Defence

New threads

Articles