Is Facebook the new enemy of the Indian Air Force?

ubuntu

Tihar Jail
Banned

Is the Air Force really saying that the use of Social Media is affecting pilot and flight safety? The IAF says that unhealthy obsession with Social Media is endangering pilots and aircraft.

Last edited by a moderator:

bennedose

The Indian government and security forces took a decade before they realized that email is not private and Windows has more holes than a sieve. So when they warn people that Facebook usage could expose relationships and connections and pose other security threats they have not even realized that it is not Facebook alone but also Twitter, Whatsapp and a whole lot of other Social apps that mine your personality, contacts and data.

I think Indians are far far away from understanding the security implications of a connected world and on average, government agencies and the armed forces IMO are ten years behind the average schoolboy geek

What I fear is that everyone will believe that Facebook is a problem but not Twitter or Whatsapp and make all the security mistakes on other applications that were sought to be prevented by issuing a Facebook warning. My other worry is that those who issue the warning are often types who trust Microsoft Windows. I am suspicious of the latter group. Too often I find that bank security software in India is built around M$windows and Internet Explorer. For a country calling itself an IT power - the level of awareness is frightening and pathetic.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The best solution will be an Indian made online equivalent of Facebook ..

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The best solution will be an Indian made online equivalent of Facebook ..
Site where forums and articles are provided (like DFI) but where login with real name and user information is required would be a good idea, especially if Indian Armed Forces provided members with email accounts. Don't know if those exist. (I have a us.army.mil email account.)

In fact, if DFI required the real names and emails of posters, it would go a long way towards improving the credibility of this forum. That anonymous screen names are permitted here just allows some people to run amok with baseless posts just to get attention, rather than contributing something useful for everybody to benefit from.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles