IRCTC has algorithm to keep young female travellers away from males

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Most of the people aren't aware that Indian Railway(not the IRCTC website but the core application the reservation centers use) already has an algorithm to ensure that a female passenger isn't left stranded in the middle of a lot of males!
Since the IRCTC website use the same APIs provided by the reservation application(which looks much like DOS-based), we're already a beneficiary to this feature.

As soon as you enter the details to reserve a seat for a female passenger, the entire database of that train is searched to find out empty seats close to any other female passenger travelling in the same class.
If such a female is found, the seat is given close to them, otherwise any other seat is given.

That is the reason why, if you ever noticed carefully, all talkative aunties group together at the same place quite often, disturbing the peace of others in the same compartment.

This is also the reason why you find yourself bumping into male travelers everytime you travel alone and curse your fate for running into girls only when your mother or sister travels with you!

Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation: Is it possible that IRCTC utilizes a special algorithm to keep young female travelers (say 18-24) away from the compartments of young male travelers of the same age group? - Quora

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Re: IRCTC has algorithm to keep young female travellers away from male

why cant i read the comments ?

SathyaNarayanan

Country flag

So, you came to know about this only now ? :fkidding:

When I saw the post title, I was expecting to see the algorithm itself... Not some lame explanation :hehe:

sob

Mod
Country flag

Nice initiative by IR. Our men ( so called ) will never change their antics.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

why cant i read the comments ?
Why do I need to log in to read all answers?
Quora is a knowledge-sharing community that depends on everyone being able to pitch in when they know something.
(Total B.S. excuse for FB intrusion.:rolleyes:)

W.G.Ewald

Professional

Somehow this reminds me of a story my father told about rail travel in Germany when he was a student. He met a man who rode in First Class, but had his wife and children travelling in 3rd Class.:)

(Kinder, Küche, Kirche und auch dritte Klasse, wahrscheinlich!)

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Can a female book a ticket on my behalf :troll:
Yes, she can book it on her name and you could travel on it.

........ and it would be straight to jail for travelling on a ticket of some other person. :)

That's the rule position!

TRANSFER/RESALE OF TICKETS PROHIBITED :
Under Section 142 of the Railways ACT, journey tickets including any half of a return ticket and season ticket are not transferable.

If any person not being a Railway Servant or an agent authorised in this behalf :

a.sells or attempts to sell any ticket or any half of a return ticket, or b.parts or attempts to part with the possession of a ticket against which reservation of a seat or a berth has been made or any half of a return ticket or season ticket. He shall be punishable under the Railways Act.

In addition, if the purchaser or holder of transferred ticket travels or attempts to travel therewith, he shall forfeit the ticket which he so purchased or obtained and shall be deemed to be traveling without a proper ticket.

Last edited:

cloud_9

Country flag

Yes, she can book it on her name and you could travel on it.

........ and it would be straight to jail for travelling on a ticket of some other person. :)

That's the rule position!

TRANSFER/RESALE OF TICKETS PROHIBITED :
Under Section 142 of the Railways ACT, journey tickets including any half of a return ticket and season ticket are not transferable.

If any person not being a Railway Servant or an agent authorised in this behalf :

a.sells or attempts to sell any ticket or any half of a return ticket, or b.parts or attempts to part with the possession of a ticket against which reservation of a seat or a berth has been made or any half of a return ticket or season ticket. He shall be punishable under the Railways Act.

In addition, if the purchaser or holder of transferred ticket travels or attempts to travel therewith, he shall forfeit the ticket which he so purchased or obtained and shall be deemed to be traveling without a proper ticket.
What you have a your name on the railway ticket.To be true I have never travelled on Indian Railways......do they ask for a Photo ID too.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Yes the name, age and sex and the berth alloted.

A woman cannot become a man! ;)

And the Railway authorities can ask for identification in case of a doubt.

Pmaitra is the son of a Railway officer and he can give more details.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

OP made me recollect my train travels. Holy grail, 100% bang on. I have never seen a girl in my compartment when traveling alone!

Most of the time it has been the side upper or side lower seat :(

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag

There's a way to partially beat the system, probably. Book for two. One for yourself, one for a female, well in advance, then cancel the female one.
Cancel it in time just enough that you don't lose your money. To increase your chances of landing up beside a female, I'd also suggest book for maximum number of females you can afford and then, cancel it. :lol:
If anyone tries this, please, please, let us know if this works.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag

There's a way to partially beat the system, probably. Book for two. One for yourself, one for a female, well in advance, then cancel the female one.
Cancel it in time just enough that you don't lose your money. To increase your chances of landing up beside a female, I'd also suggest book for maximum number of females you can afford and then, cancel it. :lol:
Crooked :heh: :laugh: Yeah, that should certainly increase the probability a great deal.

W.G.Ewald

Professional

You need to get out more, I think.:pokerface:

Reactions: nrj

cloud_9

Country flag

That's institutional discrimination "Young Men Rise Up" :salute::gun:

mayfair

I wish they had the algorithm and the computing resources to stop it being an ordeal for most folks trying to book a train ticket online

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles