Iraq set to buy Russian weaponry

Discussion in 'Europe and Russia' started by bhramos, Oct 18, 2009.

1. bhramos

bhramos Elite Member Elite Member

Iraq set to buy Russian weaponry

BAGHDAD, October 16 (RIA Novosti) - A military delegation from Iraq will visit Moscow in the near future to discuss the purchase of Russian weaponry, an Iraqi parliament member has said.
    "A large delegation from the Iraqi Defense Ministry will travel soon to Moscow for talks on arms purchases [from Russia]," Abbas al-Bayati said in an interview with the Al Iraqiya television.
    According to the Iraqi MP, Baghdad is seeking to sign arms contracts with Russia, Germany, France, Serbia and the United States by the end of 2011 "to complete the creation of Iraqi Armed Forces and security forces."
    Al-Bayati said the Iraqi leadership is interested in the diversification of arms suppliers, but takes into consideration the fact that "the military experience of the Iraqi army is based primarily on the Russian weaponry."
    The Soviet Union had been the main supplier of military equipment to Iraq before an international embargo against the country was imposed in 1990 following the Iraqi attack on Kuwait.
    After the fall of Saddam Hussein's regime in April 2003, the Iraqi Armed Forces had to be recreated almost from scratch, and they are still not sufficiently equipped with modern weaponry, especially aircraft.
    Iraq set to buy Russian weaponry | Top Russian news and analysis online | 'RIA Novosti' newswire

3. Vladimir79

Vladimir79 Defence Professionals Defence Professionals

I wonder how much their foreign masters will let them eat. US hasn't been very forthcoming with their promises of Russian contracts after the war.

4. F-14

F-14 Global Defence Moderator Senior Member

I think they will go for the MiG-29 serise i gusse that Russia still has some MiG-29's that IqAF had ordered in the 1980's and they might even go for the rafale with french

5. ahmedsid

ahmedsid Top Gun Senior Member

The Iraqis ruined the reputation of Russian arms, especially with their ill trained soldiers operating them!!!

The americans wont let the Iraqis get too cozy with the Russians and the Russians wont sell anything sensitive with the fear of it being studied by the yankees.

6. ahmedsid

I heard of F16s being sought for or something for Iraq. I dont think they will operate the migs again, and I dont think the Russians will sell the upgraded Migs for fear of the Americans snooping around it.

7. p2prada

p2prada Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

They should order 230 Su-35MKI(Iraq) and a couple a hundred T-90s.

8. ahmedsid

Hope you were joking! :D The americans would love to get their hands on the SU35s and the latest T90s :) Iraqis wont get any good platform from the Russians while the Iraqis are under the americans.

9. bhramos

bhramos Elite Member Elite Member

already Iraq ordered M1A2's then why will they go for T-90's ?