INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
with quad rail you can change what ever you want to. add three side or four sides P rails.

You guys notice the new sniper rifle made by OFB, this one has range of 1000 meters and it has provision for silencer on it. This is first time OFB has made sniper rifle, first in India. Next version will have range of 1200 meters.
Didn't the specs sheet of the sniper rifle show 600 Mts as range in one of the previous posts?

I doubt beyond that range with that barrel.

Sabru Foxtrot

Sabru Foxtrot
Indian Para Commando Counter-Insurgency Training

During night and weapons training and field craft involving 20 km treks with 60 kg (132 lb) loads and live ammunition are conducted. Weekly forced marches with 65 kg combat loads with distances over 50 to 80 miles and quarterly night drops with full combat loads are also conducted.

kr9

Country flag
Recently one new rifle was made. OFB Head said that it is neighbor's envy and owner's pride. Can anybody throw any light on this rifle?

@Kunal Biswas , @sayareakd , @kr9 , @Prasanna kumar
Have been searching and could not find it.
But I have this deja-vu about seeing the same thing somewhere.

If I remember correctly, it was said for the new Trichy Assault Rifle 7.62x39mm.
I do not see it being used by the IA in the battlefield as it prefers the 5.56mm rifles.
But it would be good in CI operations.

I think they reworked the FAL body for this rifle:

XgTc1yQ.jpg

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The rifle is going to Coast Guards ..

If I remember correctly, it was said for the new Trichy Assault Rifle 7.62x39mm.I do not see it being used by the IA in the battlefield as it prefers the 5.56mm rifles.
But it would be good in CI operations.

I think they reworked the FAL body for this rifle:

View attachment 8226

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
As predicted here, Government and Army now going for Excalibur / Advance Version of 1B1 which was actually ready since 2006 ..

Hari Sud

Country flag
Indian Army wants imports even if imports fail during trials or worst case scenario during a battle.

Hence the Army will use all means to list drawbacks in INSAS, Excalibur, Amogh, Trichy rifle etc. They will hide all possible defects in imports where they collect commission.

Now the Defence Minister and Prime Minister have cleaned up procedures to prevent commissions, a similar effort is needed in the Army. A new COAS is needed like Thimayya, or other COAS to clean up the army procurement chain. Some people need to be ejected and made an example, that is what is the need of the day.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Since the multi caliber requirement is dropped, "MCIWS", might not be multi caliber anymore, but single caliber.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Since the multi caliber requirement is dropped, "MCIWS", might not be multi caliber anymore, but single caliber.
Not necessarily, tender is dropped not GSQR(if there was one).

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
There was, the army isnt looking for a multi caliber rifle anymore, nor is there a requirement for it.
Fundamental question..

Wouldn't mean they have to re-issue GSQR Officially. In past 2 years I am sure that none of us in this forum have heard of such a change. At least there is no such news in public domain.

Maybe this is the reason, DRDO never complete their projects on time. Changes in requirement at drop of a hat(quite literally in this case).

Can someone else confirm what @Shaitan is saying...

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Fundamental question..

Wouldn't mean they have to re-issue GSQR Officially. In past 2 years I am sure that none of us in this forum have heard of such a change. At least there is no such news in public domain.

Maybe this is the reason, DRDO never complete their projects on time. Chances in requirement at drop of a hat(quite literally in this case).

Can someone else confirm what @Shaitan is saying...

It was even mentioned by this guy on his facebook as early as DefExpo. I posted it here, cant find it anymore.

He mentioned the multi caliber assault rifles, MoD said the army doesnt want that requirement anymore.

Some of the rifles in the running may have that feature, sure, but I dont think it'll be a end all be all requirement like before.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
He mentioned MKC1 is trialing, AAR 5.56 will join soon.

To my question to the Def Min on the 28th Mar 16, on the future of ARDE's Multi Cal Aslt Rifle. He replied that army does not want the multi caliber any more. The results during trial of 5.56 Aslt Rifle are very encouraging so far.....

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
It was even mentioned by this guy on his facebook as early as DefExpo. I posted it here, cant find it anymore.

He mentioned the multi caliber assault rifles, MoD said the army doesnt want that requirement anymore.

Some of the rifles in the running may have that feature, sure, but I dont think it'll be a end all be all requirement like before.
If indeed what you say is true, that army dropped the requirement itself and there by not supporting the development itself. Then there is serious need for rethinking on how future "operational requirements" are issued and handled by IA.

I would rather hope, DRDO won't stop the R&D on multi barrel, even if they are delivering only single barrel for operational purposes. Who knows IA would ask for multi barrel again couple of years down the line.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
If indeed what you say is true, that army dropped the requirement itself and there by not supporting the development itself. Then there is serious need for rethinking on how future "operational requirements" are issued and handled by IA.

I would rather hope, DRDO won't stop the R&D on multi barrel, even if they are delivering only single barrel for operational purposes. Who knows IA would ask for multi barrel again couple of years down the line.
It's rather sad really, ARDE-DRDO chased a requirement to only have it dropped. IA have done this to several programs.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Might not be a coincidence that DRDO renamed, "MCIWS", to just AAR. We'll see what ARDE will do. Whatever the case, AAR 5.56 will be entering trials, I am guessing user trials.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
It's rather sad really, ARDE-DRDO chased a requirement to only have it dropped. IA have done this to several programs.
If I may...

At least IA and DRDO have common redressal mechanism I.e Raksha mantri.

I now feel sorry for private players, they must be having hell managing these changes in IA requirements. Those stories will not even come out, to keep the customer happy.

Pvt. players will also take their sweet revenge when ever they can, they'll just say "good idea sir, these changes will just cost you a little extra". I know this because I do this everyday(not defence sector of-course).

Frankly after our conversation, the news defence procurement rules 2016 makes more sense now. Thanks ...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles