INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

abingdonboy

Country flag
Let the Indian rifle go thru tests. Let the army not reject on flimsy grounds.
I like what I am seeing from OFB wrt their 7.62X51 rifle BUT I have no doubt that the IA is going to reject it, they already seem to be laying the groundwork for that.It's sadly predictable, either the top brass is corrupt to the core or incompetent whatever the case they cannot seem to buy ANYTHING.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Firing the JVPC aka the MSMC

Published on Aug 3, 2017
DRDO-ARDE designed Joint Venture Protective Carbine

===============

Published on Aug 3, 2017
The JVPC (earlier called the MSMC) is the arguably the best close protective carbine developed in India. Indigenously designed by the DRDO's Armaments Research & Development Institute and produced by the Ordnance Factory Trichy. It has the potential to replace every 9 mm carbine used by the army, the paramilitary and police forces.
Wow, she's come along way! For the love of god just get it into production and replace all those 9mm Sten guns from the 1910s!!! Even if it isn't 100% able to meet the IA's absurdly high requirements it should be more than able to meet the needs of all police units in India, this looks like a weapon that would be more suitable for law enforcement agencies than the INSAS and MP-5.

armyofhind

Country flag

Published on Aug 3, 2017

===============

Published on Aug 3, 2017
The JVPC (earlier called the MSMC) is the arguably the best close protective carbine developed in India. Indigenously designed by the DRDO's Armaments Research & Development Institute and produced by the Ordnance Factory Trichy. It has the potential to replace every 9 mm carbine used by the army, the paramilitary and police forces.
There hardly seems to be any recoil on that thing.. even in burst fire.

abingdonboy

Country flag
There hardly seems to be any recoil on that thing.. even in burst fire.
Indeed, would like to know what calibre this weapon is chambered for, if it is 9mm then the lack of recoil is to be expected, if it is heavier then that then this is impressive.

Kchontha

Country flag

Published on Aug 3, 2017

===============

Published on Aug 3, 2017
MSMC nee JVPC should replace age old 9 mm sten carbine still in use by the army, paramilitary and state police forces if the weapon is perfected and trial is successful.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
MSMC nee JVPC should replace age old 9 mm sten carbine still in use by the army, paramilitary and state police forces if the weapon is perfected and trial is successful.
Instead of looking at JVPC as a replacement for sten, it should be marketed as PDW(personal defence weapon). Our own version of uzi.

I am looking forward to see it with silencer.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Instead of looking at JVPC as a replacement for sten, it should be marketed as PDW(personal defence weapon). Our own version of uzi.

I am looking forward to see it with silencer.
The terms SMG and PDW are largely interchangeble now, why couldn't the JVPC be a replacement for the 9mm Sten?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
The terms SMG and PDW are largely interchangeble now, why couldn't the JVPC be a replacement for the 9mm Sten?
My comment is more in terms of marketing cycle. Since it is nearing completion of development cycle, marketing cycle would start shortly. In a marketing cycle it is important to expand the target audience at the beginning stages.

I am not saying it cannot be a replacement of sten, I am saying it can be marketed far beyond India as a UZI's competition.

JVPC can easily be used a concealed SMG. It can tap into all international markets where UZI is not banned. I think it has the potential far beyond just Indian security forces.

Kchontha

Country flag
IMHO what JVPC lack is not in term of quality but lack of marketing techniques from its OEM (OFB in this case); lack of commercial wing or marketing arm has made some of its quality products render useless without any customers. DRDO has made Brahmos aerospace as it temporary marketing agency similarly ofb should rope in some marketing agency to market its products. They should come out of their shell otherwise they don't have a chance in this cut throat world of business.

abingdonboy

Country flag
IMHO what JVPC lack is not in term of quality but lack of marketing techniques from its OEM (OFB in this case); lack of commercial wing or marketing arm has made some of its quality products render useless without any customers. DRDO has made Brahmos aerospace as it temporary marketing agency similarly ofb should rope in some marketing agency to market its products. They should come out of their shell otherwise they don't have a chance in this cut throat world of business.
This is what ALL DPSUs fail at, they are far too insular looking.

Look at how poor HAL/ADA have been at marketing the LCA, with a properly managed PR campaign they could easily build up hype for this beast and win over many Indians.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
I don't think the recoil is massively higher than other 7.62x51 rifles:

The noise can be reduced with some specific design changes that aren't a huge task at all.

With an improved stance and an experienced shooter the recoil is perfectly manageble, dare I say it- minimal?
Regarding high recoil of the firearm,I want to say something bout 7.62 NATO.

7.62 x 51mm NATO was designed in '50s in order to replace larger .30-06 springfield (in metric convention,7.62 x 63mm) round that had been servicing as standard issue battle rifle cartridge of USA since World War I.Their initial goal was to replace it with a cartridge that has at least SAME ballistic properties as itself if not more so in order to do that what they did was,they took empty casing of .30-06 and filled it with newer improved propellants and primers that significantly improved its performance,but also made it little heavier,so they downscaled it a little bit and fill up again with newer propellants to such amount that kept its ballistic properties (muzzle velocities,amount of pressure created by it etc.) to almost same (though,a little bit improved) levels.This simple 'jugaad' reduced weight of already heavier .30-06 as well as shortened it too,while also improved its performance a little bit then former one.Hence,a new cartridge was born designated as 7.62 x 51mm NATO.

So,basically we're firing an upgraded .30-06 cartridge from our OFB 7.62 that was already panned for having insane amount of recoil.

Last edited:

Kchontha

Country flag
OFB's new 7.62 nato rifle has similar or lesser recoil then its foreign made counterpart. If the Indian army has decided for a calibar change from 5.56 Nato to a more heavier 7.62 nato then this rifle will be the one to replace the INSAS 1b. Therfore a lot of negative publicity campaign has been launched by paid media and prestitutes to push in the product of their support.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Shooting the new OFB 7.62x51 AR

Published on Aug 4, 2017
designed and developed in response to the Indian Army's requirement for a new 7.62 NATO AR.

================

Published on Aug 3, 2017
The INSAS 1B & 1B1 entered service in 1994 and continues to be the standard service weapon since 1999.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
Shooting the new OFB 7.62x51 AR

Published on Aug 4, 2017
designed and developed in response to the Indian Army's requirement for a new 7.62 NATO AR.
What that gun needs is good magazine and some diet and it will surely will be in the hands of our soldiers.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles