INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

G10

Country flag
I guess no instrumentation is done yet. Cant see radar and stuff. Pathetic pace of project. How this is going to ready by 2019 god knows. Bhagwan bharose sab ho raha hai.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Indian govt must keep time line for govt defence companies so that this PSU will complete all projects on time.

binayak95

Country flag
I think the Navy's not putting pressure on Cochin shipyard due to the whole fiasco with carrier borne fighters. MiG29Ks have massive issues and the future replacement fighter for the next 3 decades is yet to be chosen...

Kay

Country flag
I think the Navy's not putting pressure on Cochin shipyard due to the whole fiasco with carrier borne fighters. MiG29Ks have massive issues and the future replacement fighter for the next 3 decades is yet to be chosen...
IN can just stick with Mig-29Ks. The problems will be grdaually eliminated. Range will not be a problem with dorsal CFTs.

Kay

Country flag
In fact we need to do a Indian magic on these Mig-29K's... Add Uttam & Kaveri and it will take us through till we get AMCA's
This is a new plane in service for both Russia and India. Of course, there will be minor problems.
Adding another type complicates inventory management, training and adds unnecessary cost overheads. F-18 or Rafale needs to be tested for STOBAR operations.
The problem with availability of Mig -29K is being dealt with. Regarding ruggedization, adding more shock absorbers should not be difficult. CFTs will give the plane good enough range (though not like Rafale and F-18) - but de we really need it?

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
Another UPDATE for NLCA

We continue to LCA Navy project. Our share of the budget for LCA was 40%, over INR 600 crores. Paying 40% for LCA Mk2, over INR 300 crores. I need a Dec based fighter by 2020. LCA Navy is nowhere on the horizon. It is underpowered. - Admiral Lanba
https://twitter.com/statuses/936488138532425728

"I need a deck based combat capable fighter by 2020 for IAC I, in present state, LCA Navy cannot be operated from deck" - Admiral Lanba
https://twitter.com/statuses/936489229911179264

As and when DRDO and ADA develop a deck based fighter we are happy to induct it. - Admiral Lanba
https://twitter.com/statuses/936488638820552705

Don't foresee budget problems with 57 carrier borne fighters. We have fixed form and fit of IAC2, conventionally powered, CATOBAR, through deck carrier. - Admiral Lanba
https://twitter.com/statuses/936486373812469760

Source: Twitter
I never understood the logic for the number 57. The capacity is for 36 aircrafts in INS Vikrant. I hope additional planes won't harm LCA prospect for IAC-2. If there is extra planes, it may be spilled over into the next carrier and hence to maintain uniformity, continue with the same plane by additional orders. Do you have any idea why 57 is being considered?

In this case, the best bet is MiG29K due to interoperability between INS Vikramaditya and INS Vikrant aircrafts and easier spares and maintenance. Also, there is no Rafale -M yet.

binayak95

Country flag
I never understood the logic for the number 57. The capacity is for 36 aircrafts in INS Vikrant. I hope additional planes won't harm LCA prospect for IAC-2. If there is extra planes, it may be spilled over into the next carrier and hence to maintain uniformity, continue with the same plane by additional orders. Do you have any idea why 57 is being considered?

In this case, the best bet is MiG29K due to interoperability between INS Vikramaditya and INS Vikrant aircrafts and easier spares and maintenance. Also, there is no Rafale -M yet.

The 57 are only for the IAC-2. There are enough MiG-29Ks for both Vikramaditya and the Vikrant. Of the 57, expect around 50 to be single seat fighters and the remaining to be dual seat trainers.

Reactions: Kay

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
The 57 are only for the IAC-2. There are enough MiG-29Ks for both Vikramaditya and the Vikrant. Of the 57, expect around 50 to be single seat fighters and the remaining to be dual seat trainers.
Then, what is needed by 2020? Since IAC2 will not even be floated by 2020,the demand for planes must be for something. If MiG29 already exists in sufficient quantities, what is the concern?

binayak95

Country flag
Then, what is needed by 2020? Since IAC2 will not even be floated by 2020,the demand for planes must be for something. If MiG29 already exists in sufficient quantities, what is the concern?
That concern is the really bad quality of the MiG-29Ks. The MiG has no future in the carrier air arm of the Navy. If we start inducting the new carrier borne multi role fighters, things will become streamlined for Vishal.

Plus, we could operate the new fighters from Vikrant, relegating the MiG-29Ks to Vikramaditya and shore based interdiction.

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace

presently, we have 45 MiG-29K/MiG-29KUB , 41 & 4 respectively..
INS vikramaditya can carry 26 on-board while ~0.6 times i.e. 15 on ground ready for anytime on-board deployment because in war time, time consuming overhauls can't be possible on carrier hence those jets will be replaced from buffer. and rest 4 are for training.

same is the case with 57... and same is with french charles de gaulle (28 onboard Rafales) where as they have 44 Rafales
This is the case with almost all ACC.

anyone can correct me if I'm wrong

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Discussions about Mig-29 is not appropriate for this thread. Since you have quoted my reply about plans for fitting bhramos mini on Tejas I have provided you with the source.
Credibility of any news article can be questioned but the thing is Bhramos was all about making one missile which can be suited to multiple platforms.As such the present platforms is only Su-30 mki. Future platforms include LCA Tejas and AMCA. I have provided with the source for everyone, but it's your prerogative whether you want to believe in that news source or not.
Also FGFA itself is uncertain and Indian navy is very clear not to induct any more Mig-29k.
Also kindly quote the specific article which says Bhramos mini will not be fitted on LCA Tejas. All the news article which I have come across since the recent Bhramos test says Bhramos will be fitted on x platform or y platform etc like Su-30 mki and other aircrafts. But you are saying that there is no plan to fit it on future Tejas variants then is it your inference or have you come across some source?

Last edited:

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
Discussions about Mig-29 is not appropriate for this thread. Since you have quoted my reply about plans for fitting bhramos mini on Tejas I have provided you with the source.
Credibility of any news article can be questioned but the thing is Bhramos was all about making one missile which can be suited to multiple platforms.As such the present platforms is only Su-30 mki. Future platforms include LCA Tejas and AMCA. I have provided with the source for everyone, but it's your prerogative whether you want to believe in that news source or not.
Also FGFA itself is uncertain and Indian navy is very clear not to induct any more Mig-29k.
We always find many interesting news in open media but we can't believe on them blindly. we always analyze the data shared in articles before our belief, isn't it?
Here, we are on defense forum specially on LCA's thread as topic than it should have to be analyzed. If you want to believe on those baked articles than go ahead..
LCA is already discussed and for AMCA we need AMCA's detailed specifications (about hard-point numbers and strength).
I can believe on anything which is technically and operationally possible...
By the way, Mig-29Ks will be in IN by 2040s and already have 45 in numbers..

Good Day..

smx ocean

Navy seriously doesn't want the INS VIKRANT to come early as MIGs are facing problems. Navy feels that the new fighters would start arriving by 2023 or later (MRCBF) and if Vikrant is delivered by 2020 then navy can carry out extensive trials of the ship, including carrier certification for the said fighter using the available fighters from the manufacturers, so that if any necessary stuff needs to be changed internally it can be arranged. By the time the bulk of MRCBF fighters arrive the carrier with her full battle group would be ready for action.

If the carrier would have been delivered in time it would be a tough task to make the carrier aviation viable for combat considering the amount of MIGs available Ina given time aren't enough and navy doesn't have enough ASW equipped ships or helis to send 2 carriers under different fleet at the same time, making early induction useless and waste of money that could have been spend for much needed ships and aircrafts making the carriers expense being spread over a much larger period.

I think this is the reason that navy is comfortable in getting late delivery. It doesn't take 5+ years to fit ships equipment after she has been floated.

bhramos

Country flag
INS Vikrant To Join The Indian Navy By The End Of 2020
The majestic aircraft carrier ship will be powered by a number of additions like gas turbines and diesel generators

Mumbai

India’s first homegrown aircraft carrier ship, INS Vikrant will join the navy by 2020 according to the country’s top naval officer. The news was revealed at his annual press conference on December 4, ahead of India’s Navy Day. Sunil Lamba said that the indigenous aircraft carrier is progressing well at work and was hopeful of it joining the Indian Navy by 2020.

History of INS Vikrant
The construction of the majestic INS Vikrant (R11) commenced around the turn of the century and has been a long time in making. After its soft launch in 2013, the construction continued and the ship was not officially launched until about two years after that. Around the time of the 2015 launching, Indian media reports suggested the INS Vikrant would join the navy as early as 2017 or 2018.

What does INS Vikrant look like?
The INS Vikrant weighs 40,000-tons, with a length of 260 meters and a width of 60 meters. Earlier this year, a reporter from The Hindu who toured the ship quoted one of the shipyard’s supervisors as saying the carrier has 14 decks in all, including five in the superstructure.

How will INS Vikrant be powered?
The ship will be powered by four GE LM2500+ gas turbines using a combined gas and gas configuration, according to IHS Jane’s. Italy’s aircraft carrier, the ITS Cavour, also uses four LM2500+ gas turbines as part of its propulsion system. Diesel generators will provide electricity to the ship and power the weapon systems of the INS Vikrant.

https://www.mumbailive.com/en/civic...he-end-of-2020-according-to-sunil-lamba-18497

Kyubi

Country flag
The point to be noted here is the inventor of the IGBT tech is Jayant Baliga an Indian .. a professor of North Carolina State university he invented thia tech in 1979.. but americans decided to go for Emals tech hence this IGBT tech was taken up by Dynex semiconductor of UK which China acquired in 2008 during the global crises.. it was approved by Gordon Brown...

this will augment the capabilities of cbinese future carriers to launch heavier aircrafts.. we've got yo see how will this Pan out viz a vis our purpoted EMALs tech from US if we did acquire in near future ... china is racing ahead and we are still playing catch up...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles