INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

Filtercoffee

Country flag
You do realise that an aircraft carrier is useless without competent aircrafts. Don't you ?
Then all the efforts of the NLCA team are in vain if you believe the competency of competition. It would be great if one waits for MK-2 Navy to complete tests and evaluations for comparision, and this by the way is a fighter atleast closest to 'tailor made' for Indian aircraft carriers.

singhboy98

Country flag
Then all the efforts of the NLCA team are in vain if you believe the competency of competition. It would be great if one waits for MK-2 Navy to complete tests and evaluations for comparision, and this by the way is a fighter atleast closest to 'tailor made' for Indian aircraft carriers.
I would beg to differ with you on this. The security of a nation, especially a nation like India which is surrounded by enemies and does not have any powerful allies, cannot be held hostage to the whims of weapons indigenous-iation targets of politicians and DPSU engineers. No doubt, we can never become a great power without an indigenous MIC which backs our armed forces but we will have to make do with what we have. The N-LCA is a work in progress. IMHO, the Navy along with the GoI (MoD and PMO) should give a public undertaking to the DRDO, ADA and supporting industries and labs that it will induct a specific number of N-LCA's once it reaches even IOC standards. The same has been done by the IAF and I don't see any reason as to why the same cannot be replicated by the Navy which has a far better record of supporting Indian products and moreover, has injected money into the N-LCA program from the beginning. Meanwhile we have to finalise the designs for IAC-2 which cannot be done if we don't know what aircraft we will be operating from it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Filtercoffee

Country flag
I would beg to differ with you on this. The security of a nation, especially a nation like India which is surrounded by enemies and does not have any powerful allies, cannot be held hostage to the whims of weapons indigenous-iation targets of politicians and DPSU engineers. No doubt, we can never become a great power without an indigenous MIC which backs our armed forces but we will have to make do with what we have. The N-LCA is a work in progress. IMHO, the Navy along with the GoI (MoD and PMO) should give a public undertaking to the DRDO, ADA and supporting industries and labs that it will induct a specific number of N-LCA's once it reaches even IOC standards. The same has been done by the IAF and I don't see any reason as to why the same cannot be replicated by the Navy which has a far better record of supporting Indian products and moreover, has injected money into the N-LCA program from the beginning. Meanwhile we have to finalise the designs for IAC-2 which cannot be done if we don't know what aircraft we will be operating from it. Please correct me if I am wrong.
You haven't seen liability issues for imports, netcentric is great but we are under attack from a hostile turk supporting country. If you want a conventional aircraft NLCA is better for the country. At the same time Allied nations are also involved, so there isn't a problem of a disconnect or a 'one-up' situation among us. Your point was the NLCA MK1 test and evaluation aircraft are not competant; according to me.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its important to have functional hardware then just hanger queens specially when its about a aircraft carrier, Reasoning on basis of capabilities is fooling oneself ..

When considering the whole nation and its maritime security in long term, Its important to remain self sufficient and NLCA let it MK1 or 2 is the correct path to go on, Regardless what is their present capabilities, These systems are meant to evolve into larger platforms according to needs ..

singhboy98

Country flag
Its important to have functional hardware then just hanger queens specially when its about a aircraft carrier, Reasoning on basis of capabilities is fooling oneself ..

When considering the whole nation and its maritime security in long term, Its important to remain self sufficient and NLCA let it MK1 or 2 is the correct path to go on, Regardless what is their present capabilities, These systems are meant to evolve into larger platforms according to needs ..
Granted. But how do you induct an aircraft that cannot even take off from an Aircraft carrier with any useful payload ? I don't know when the Mk-2 will come (provided it does come) but the Mk-1 CANNOT be used as a carrier based aircraft by the IN. The same has been said by the Navy and other eminent retired naval officers. And since we cannot finalise the design of our next A/C until we decide the aircrafts that are going to operate from it, we do not have an option but to import an aircraft or continue with the Mig-29s. Blame the ADA or blame the govt. or blame the Navy. But this is the situation we are stuck in.

Hari Sud

Country flag
Granted. But how do you induct an aircraft that cannot even take off from an Aircraft carrier with any useful payload ? I don't know when the Mk-2 will come (provided it does come) but the Mk-1 CANNOT be used as a carrier based aircraft by the IN. The same has been said by the Navy and other eminent retired naval officers. And since we cannot finalise the design of our next A/C until we decide the aircrafts that are going to operate from it, we do not have an option but to import an aircraft or continue with the Mig-29s. Blame the ADA or blame the govt. or blame the Navy. But this is the situation we are stuck in.

You are singing Indian Navy's tune.

French are the happiest people with this development.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The People who came out so vocally about their opinion which is based on prototype and not production variant, NLCA MK1 was always meant for carrier deck from, You can read official data posted on this very thread ..

The propulsion of the carrier is not finalize, Rest is only media speculation based on half truths ..

singhboy98

Country flag
The propulsion of the carrier is not finalize, Rest is only media speculation based on half truths ..
Quite correct considering that no one really knows what is going on in the corridors of power. Let us wait and see the developments which I presume should be headed for a conclusion pretty soon.

busesaway

I'm an advocate of merging the air force, at least in Southern India, into the navy; aircraft carriers would help India project its military forces over a wider area, including fighting on the European side of the Middle East, the Arabian Sea, and the South China Sea.

I think India should focus on transferring/replacing most existing aircraft in the South to the Navy, and that the Navy should be provided with supercarriers to act as "moveable bases", as this would provide India with more flexibility.

I would choose the HAL LCH and HAL FGFA for any new procurement. I highly doubt that any conflict in the South would be fought on land, and the conflict that I can imagine happening can be easily fought by paramilitary/gendamerie.

My only concern with the HAL LCH is that it's somewhat weak and wasn't built for the purposes that South India would need to defend from. SK's navy has procured the AgustaWestland AW159 Wildcat which is markedly more powerful than the LCH, and it's also built around the concept of naval warfare and anti-submarine operations.

North India has very little use for a navy. It should build a wall and focus on counter-terror operations (paramilitary), with a sizable air force and land force for skirmishes along the border.

Chinmoy

Country flag
I'm an advocate of merging the air force, at least in Southern India, into the navy; aircraft carriers would help India project its military forces over a wider area, including fighting on the European side of the Middle East, the Arabian Sea, and the South China Sea.

I think India should focus on transferring/replacing most existing aircraft in the South to the Navy, and that the Navy should be provided with supercarriers to act as "moveable bases", as this would provide India with more flexibility.

I would choose the HAL LCH and HAL FGFA for any new procurement. I highly doubt that any conflict in the South would be fought on land, and the conflict that I can imagine happening can be easily fought by paramilitary/gendamerie.

My only concern with the HAL LCH is that it's somewhat weak and wasn't built for the purposes that South India would need to defend from. SK's navy has procured the AgustaWestland AW159 Wildcat which is markedly more powerful than the LCH, and it's also built around the concept of naval warfare and anti-submarine operations.

North India has very little use for a navy. It should build a wall and focus on counter-terror operations (paramilitary), with a sizable air force and land force for skirmishes along the border.
Just one question.............

4e6da28748b4f3026cfa840d38b168c1d8afa03b72fb10606238c2ac2591a147.jpg

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Official their are no statements indeed, But if you look into foreign suppliers you can guess a little ..

==========

I think you meant LCA and not LCH, IN should have shore based SU-30MKI for surveillance and strike ..

Quite correct considering that no one really knows what is going on in the corridors of power.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Vikrant is now one step closer to completion. It can be seen that MF-STAR radars are installed and works on installing Selex RAN-40L is progressing (it seems India already received the radar from Finmeccanica subsidiary). CSL hopes to begin builder's sea trials by mid 2017, and deliver the carrier by early 2018.
That's not likely, as per the navy she will go to sea trails in Dec 2018 (best case) and will enter service 1.5-2 years later.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

abingdonboy

Country flag
The article seems to say the same thing as i have said before ..
They are getting confused between sea trails and induction, she will go to sea trails in late 2018/early 2019 and it will be 1.5-2 years of arduous sea trails before she is offically inducted into service and made operational.

busesaway

Why does South India need a land based military though? I think it would be more efficient to merge the three into the navy in Southern India, and use aircraft carriers like portable military bases. The land based operations can be carried out be gendarmerie forces since the majority of land based fighting in southern India seems to be terror-like stuff.

North India can focus on its land based wars which require a stronger air force and army, while South India can focus on various naval operations and the occasional peacekeeping service done by the marines.

The majority of land based fighting in South India isn't going to be anything that a paramilitary/gendarmerie couldn't handle.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Why does South India need a land based military though? I think it would be more efficient to merge the three into the navy in Southern India, and use aircraft carriers like portable military bases. The land based operations can be carried out be gendarmerie forces since the majority of land based fighting in southern India seems to be terror-like stuff.

North India can focus on its land based wars which require a stronger air force and army, while South India can focus on various naval operations and the occasional peacekeeping service done by the marines.

The majority of land based fighting in South India isn't going to be anything that a paramilitary/gendarmerie couldn't handle.
IAF does use NSBF for their operation. Its simply not possible to station all the aircraft on carrier. Even the Mig-29 which both IAF as well as IN operate are not inter operable. Leave alone the MKI launching from Carrier top. In order to achieve what you are saying, India would have to carry out a massive refabrication of its aircraft which is not feasible. So its better to leave things as they are now. South of India does have the air force to take care of threats originating from sea.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles