India's economic success a 'lie' : Arundhati Roy to BBC

Phenom

Not just BBC, all the western channels engage in this type of propaganda and not just against India but against all the developing nations. If its about India, then its poverty and Caste system, If its about China, then its Human rights and democracy, Brazil is about Slums and Gangs and Africa is all about civil wars and genocide. They almost never report any good news from any developing countries. So I am not really surprised to see this.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Not just BBC, all the western channels engage in this type of propaganda and not just against India but against all the developing nations. If its about India, then its poverty and Caste system, If its about China, then its Human rights and democracy, Brazil is about Slums and Gangs and Africa is all about civil wars and genocide. They almost never report any good news from any developing countries. So I am not really surprised to see this.
This is so true man, there are 1 billion people in Africa and a lot of them live peacefully but all they show on Western News media is that they are fighting and starving! They only show the negative stereo types thats why i said NEWS stand for Negative Entertainment Whole Sale!

Also i would tend to agree that Indian economic development is not benefiting a lot of people in our country and we should not lose track of that. That said the attention hoe Arundathi says stuff merely to get attention and the lime light on to herself, we should look how happy she looks if the cameras focus on her face. She criticizes but has not to offer in return.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Arundathi is right on lot of things like disturbing tribals etc but she is dead wrong on others and her romantic idea of the world without nations etc., is just do childish and does not take into account the reality.

amitkriit

Arundathi is right on lot of things like disturbing tribals etc but she is dead wrong on others and her romantic idea of the world without nations etc., is just do childish and does not take into account the reality.
She is the perfect candidate for Miss World or Miss Universe Pageant. She may declare "Mother Teressa" as her hero. She might like to adopt 1000 orphans as well.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
LOL after being out-casted by our own paid media and recently got lukewarm response from Jihad factory media aka failed state pakistan....she goes to her darling brits to project India in a manner she loves to perceive India in her own deluded world.....Now to me, she is a funny woman.....BBC is next laughter challenge to look out for, as they have run a smear champaign against India for more than 60yrs, and has not stopped even after attaining such a marvelous growth thanks to its hardworking citizens.....soon when their beloved pakistanis bomb them (UK) again, then would be the time to watch BBC ....Bloody Fools of armchair liberals with their dumb 70s ideology!! :)

sukhish

I think when ever taliban holds MISS WAZIRISTAN pea-gent she will be there. some time I literally feel that she is the spokesperson for pakistan. something is seriously nutty with this lady.

sukhish

dead on. she should get some mental treatment from a good hospital, or better yet she needs to ask for a refund from which ever college she did her studies from. I mean something is terribly wrong with lady ? may be in her last incarnation she was a wife of some taliban commander.

JBH22

I just like how the west is giving her importance..well they just forgot that she's a commie sympathiser and is one who cites USA a power who occupies and terrorizes Afghans,Iraqis...Let them give her more importance she's just another Noam chomsky wannabe.

bhramos

Country flag
India's economic success a 'lie' : Arundhati Roy to BBC​

Courtesy : BBC
well i dont support here fully, but some things are true, as i have personally seen the politicians cleaning the Maoists and then taking whole forest and mountains in their control,
this is truth, the people who see this thing live, only accepts the truth... i accept the truth, Bayyaram mines, khammam dist.

Last edited by a moderator:

AOE

Despite many of the responses here which seem to be emotional rather than rational, I think many Indians should take note of this particular person (Arundhati Roy) as the kind of person we in the west have to deal with all the time, stating that big business is evil and so is the idea of a nation state. Indeed what another poster said earlier about her being a wannabe Chomsky hits the nail on the head, and it is people like this that stand in the way of real prosperity for developing countries; they are the enemies of the third world.

As for the western media; well I would agree that it is more about entertainment and less about facts, but it is not in the way people here are imagining. With the exception of Chinas communist dictatorship, however, it is not used to demoralize or put down a developing nation; more so to appeal to emotions for political reasons; white guilt and trying to get foreign aid, the latter of which often is misplaced or destabilizes a developing countries economy.

Neil

Country flag
Clearly her radical views of loin cloths and spears isn't going to fly, but she does raise important issues of imminent domain. Does the government have the right to take any land they want and give it to corporations? Does it provide enough compensation and local investment to give indigenous people alternatives and a better quality of life? Do the people get to vote on whether the change is in their interest and do they got proper redress in the judicial system? These are all issues that have not been adequately addressed by GoI and is the cause of Naxalist support.
what you said are right questions....but sometimes this people blow things out of proportion...sometimes 75% of the town is ready to give up their land but not the rest 25%...so what to do in such cases is something GoI should consider....sometimes the entire town is against the project but the project is so damn important for development that no matter what it has to go ahead....sometimes politics takes center stage and the problem gets more problematic...there are way too many issues related to land aquisation in India....and its hard to separate one from another!!

mayfair

Give me India's economic-success-story-a-lie over Arundhoti's "truths" anyday

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Has this woman given any facts and figures to show that the economic success is a lie?

Generalities anyone can spew.

That way one can also speak about China's economic success is a lie by giving general statements about the various poor provinces of China. But would that be a true representation of China? No. China's successes will still be marked by the figures that show that China is a success story.

This unfortunate woman requires to remain in the limelight by hook or by crook.

Pity her!

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
GOI is only to blame for letting her all say this. One day she said kashmir wants freedom and then, after that she is wandering freely throughout india saying everything she could say. if GOI was PRC, she would be hanged long ago...

cw2005

GOI is only to blame for letting her all say this. One day she said kashmir wants freedom and then, after that she is wandering freely throughout india saying everything she could say. if GOI was PRC, she would be hanged long ago...
PRC is smarter now and avoiding martyr creation at all cost. She would be house-arrested instead, not hanged. By doing so, Chinese may bag another Nobel price for peace.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles