Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinmoy

Country flag
When was that photo with the M3s taken? Doesn't look that old. At least 8000 M1 Garands were sent to the SFF plus there were BARs. ITBP received them too. In addition M2 and M3 carbines were supplied. Wish photos of all were available. Who knows maybe M14s came too? I had, many years ago, seen a photograph of the SFF with an early M-16A1 from around 1971.
M3 was revived back in 2004 as far as I know. Seems these lot are from those revived batch.

mendosa

Monikers of SF units
9 Para - Meghdoot
10 Para- Desert Scorpions
21 Para- Waghnaksh
12 Para- Dirty Dozens
4 Vikas- Mavericks

Anything else that you all know of ?
Hahaha all these units are useless. Indian Air Force is going to fight a two front war with Pakistani SSG and Chinese special forces to win the battle.

1 Rafale will kill 1 SSG commando. So we need 20,000 Rafales to win this war, which is quite a reasonable demand.

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
CRPF COBRA

I have seen pretty much every infantry weapon in Naxal ops that is in service with Indian Army or maybe better than Army since their AK and others rifles are brand new. Variety of snipers, better NVG equipment and their trainers are Para SF and ex SG (will post the pic later)

But still these "untrained" Naxals turned the tables every time during encounter and our forces do not suffer casualties but general slaughter in 10, 25 or 75 dead in one encounter.

That when most of the Naxals are only armed with SLR, .303 very limited AK and even bow and arrow. Maybe they read and adopt to the Forest better than someone from Haryana.

Last edited:

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
When was that photo with the M3s taken? Doesn't look that old. At least 8000 M1 Garands were sent to the SFF plus there were BARs. ITBP received them too. In addition M2 and M3 carbines were supplied. Wish photos of all were available. Who knows maybe M14s came too? I had, many years ago, seen a photograph of the SFF with an early M-16A1 from around 1971.

M1 Carbine and M1 grand license. were issued to civilians in late 70s early 80s (including one in my family). I have posted a pic somewhere on DFI. These were claimed to captured from Pak forces and issued to ex servicemen and who had "Jugad" with state govt. Now mostly used as celebration fire in marriages etc

Around 7 - 8 years back one round of M1 Carbine cost Rs 500 ~ that too from Mhow in black.

Last edited:

ghost

I have seen pretty much every infantry weapon in Naxal ops that is in service with Indian Army or maybe better than Army since their AK and others rifles are brand new. Variety of snipers, better NVG equipment and their trainers are Para SF and ex SG (will post the pic later)

But still these "untrained" Naxals turned the tables every time during encounter and our forces do not suffer casualties but general slaughter in 10, 25 or 75 dead in one encounter.

That when most of the Naxals are only armed with SLR, .303 very limited AK and even bow and arrow. Maybe they read and adopt to the Forest better than someone from Haryana.
A navy seal team six member had mentioned in his memoir that during his seal training it was instilled into them that they are the best, so much so that each one of them would believe that they are the god of battlefield.Such attitude was carried over in the missions.This gives a psychological edge to them and makes them fearless.

In contrast ,I have heard that even though CRPF guys receive excellent jungle and weapon training but still they lack the warrior spirit.As soon as they finish training everyone try their best to avoid posting in anti naxal ops,they even offer hefty bribe for this.Only the poor who cannot afford to give bribe and have no choice left are posted there.Psychologically they are afraid of naxals even before facing them.Such defeatist mentality invite failure.If hunter has doubt over his capability then he will end up becoming the hunt.

Whatever little knowledge I have gathered about this ,I have come to this conclusion regarding failure of CRPF:

Motivation : CRPF is in dire need of some high level of motivation,to make them believe in themselves ,to instill the warrior spirit into them.To strengthen their will and resolve to fight.This confidence should be instilled into everyone from a soldier to a battalion level ,they should be encouraged to fight for the glory which belongs to them and their force.Further they should be provided with excellent living conditions in their camps,with latest gear and uniforms ,such things are important to keep the moral high and increase the self worth of soldiers among themselves.General neglect of their living conditions and gear result in feeling of despair and despondent.There are lot of stories of cowardice of CRPF men going around,which point to the lack of will to fight.

Leadership : It is known fact that CRPF has lacklustre leadership right from top to lower ranks.Most of the officer avoid going out in the field or lead from front and when they do, they are not able to do it efficiently.Now whether you need to improve officer training,need to import officer from armed forces or provide CRPF officer training in IMA ,I don't know .I know only this that something has to be done with regards to this.Good leadership is required to motivate troops ,lead from the front and coordinate the attack and counter attack at tactical level.

Coordination : In case of any attack instead of launching a counter attack,out-flanking the naxals and coordinating their formation ,it seems that CRPF soldiers fight for self defense at individual level, bogged down and ripe for being overrun by the naxals.

Planning and tactics :I don't know what is the current plan of government and forces but they surely need a clear plan with short term and long term objectives.They also need to revise their tactics which are either faulty or they fail to implement them efficiently.For example in case of any mass scale ambush there should be a heliborne QRF ready to block and choke the escape route of the naxals.

Discipline : It is a clear observation of everyone that there is a lack of disciplines within the ranks of CRPF.This also shows in the battlefield when they often let their guard down,utter disregard for the SOP,Chaos among them when facing an attack.Casualty in firefight is one thing but being run over with all the weapons and gear being looted is another.Any large formation will fall apart in absence of battlefield discipline.

Intelligence : Crpf should develop their own intelligence wing to supplement the other intelligence agencies.Maoist not only gather in large number prior to attack but they also practice the attack a number of time before the final execution,failing to notice this is absolute failure of Intelligence.Further Crpf should have complete information about the area they are going in,and they should prepare and practice about every contingency that could arise in that area.

Like this there are many other points in which CRPF need a serious overhaul.However, I would like to add that things in cobra battalions are much better.

Beside this ,to give the credit where it's due,naxals are highly motivated,discipline and coordinated in their attack.Each and everyone is assigned a role down to the last man.They not only plan their operations well but also practice them a number of times before the final execution.They know and play by their strength ,which is numbers,surprise and shock and awe.

sbm

Country flag
Bornubus, I've seen at least 1 M1 Garand (not grand) with a havildar of the Punjab police back in the 1980s in an India Today photograph. I've seen a photograph of a Thompson M1A1 in service with the original task force assigned to hunt Veerappan alongside another M3 Grease Gun (it was a photograph in a magazine called Sunday back in around 1994-5). It is interesting to hear from Chinmoy that the M3s were brought back in 2004.

Vinod DX9

Country flag
NSG...mind the gun
By the way...I couldn't identify the helmet...seemed some version of Model 1974 to me
FB_IMG_1495113093894.jpg

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
NSG

=====================================================================================
That's a Thaiwanese T-91 rifle in the extreme left.First time i am seeing aa T91 with NSG or any other unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles