Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinmoy

Country flag
I am not ok with IAF allotting the task of base protection to Garuds.

IAF should raise another specialize force with the following responsibility:

# Guarding IAF Base.
# Guarding major Radar installation.
# Guarding missiles,warhead,other important assets.
# To act as QRT
Basically all the protection jobs of IAF should be transferred to this force.

Now coming to Garud,their main task should be the following:

#rescue of downed pilot,those people who need to be airlifted from behind enemy line or hostile area.
#Conduct recon/intel gathering for IAF behind enemy lines.
#Demolition of assets behind enemy lines or hostile area(radar,SAM etc)
#To call in airstrike and direct them through laser target designator.
#To support others special forces acting as force multiplier.
#Destroying downed aircraft ,drone of IAF ,to prevent sensitive technology from going in the hands of enemy.
#Gathering sensitive info from downed enemy plane,drones.
You can add more.

In addition to this Garuds need to be involved with the operations in kashmir for a year ,to gain combat experience.
IAF's Garud commandos to be equipped with new arms and bullet proof jackets

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/...w-arms-and-bullet-proof-jackets/1/862847.html

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Is it ghatak ??

Please enter a message with at least 30 characters.
According to them it's AK. Also,I don't see the similar Buttstock as seen on Ghatak.

Or, if OFB had made further modifications then i don't know.

Ghost68

NSG

National Disaster Response Force deployed on the Rajpath to guard the Republic Day parade from chemical, nuclear, biological and radiological weapons.

INDIAN ARMY GHATAK
is that carl gustav m4 in video from 00:10?

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
CG Mk 4 has not been in serial production in India. Only Mk 2 and Mk 3 in service.

armyofhind

Country flag
Sorry bro but this is a weak argument. I am not talking about doctrine (7.62mm vs 9mm*) or training (obviously Indian units are as good as any) but purely EQUIPMENT.i
Objectively speaking much of the NSG's equipment is below the standards in the West. For example, their plate carriers are far too bulky and heavy, they have only got single tube NVGs whilst most Western units have twin tube NVGs and the top units now have quadtube NVGs, those ACH style helmets also look very uncomfortable and cumbersome, a high cut FAST helmet would allow greater movement whilst offering similar levels of protection. Furthermore, the very uniforms the NSG are wearing look less comfortable and less functional than the breathable combat unforms (designed to be worn under modern plate carriers) now adopted by most Western militaries.

I don't buy the "our people don't like their equipment much", no sensible warfighter would turn down lighter, less bulky, more useful and more comfortable equipment, superior situational awareness and greater lethality.

*although even the IA has changed their tune on this matter and have accepted the superiority of the 7.62 in CT/COIn/CQB

Indians should stop settling for mediocrity.
I understand the demand for having our forces equipped with the best available. As Patriots, that's what all of us want.
But remember, that's not the only consideration.

Quad tube NVGs like you've said are as of now, a protected technology and not available outside of the US.
Even if they were, they cost 65000 USD apiece.
Do you really think we have that kind of money as of now?

While people are quick to compare equipment levels, they don't apply the same logic to the respective economies and defence budgets of the two countries.

Also, the argument of our people not kicking their equipment much is a reality. There's a vid on YouTube of Yudh Abhyas 2009.. where US mech inf exercised with our infantry.
US soldiers are quoted as saying that apart from their optics, our soldiers considered the rest of their equipment as dispensable... being heavy and cumbersome.

Also, tha rationale behind using a NVG monocular is to preserve natural night vision in one eye.
Israeli SF do the same.
We use Gen 3 NVGs in SF which are made in Israel.
Also, West being a world leader is just a matter of perception.
Certain sources have claimed that FBI HRT was contacted for advice during Op Black Tornado and they threw up their hands saying that they've never handled an operation of this scale before.

The sheer amount of hostages evacuated without casualties and rooms cleared since NSG came into action was unprecedented anywhere in the world.

sthf

Country flag
According to them it's AK. Also,I don't see the similar Buttstock as seen on Ghatak.

Or, if OFB had made further modifications then i don't know.
Is that an integral rail on the upper or is it removable?

Also are those flip up back sights?

su35

Country flag
I understand the demand for having our forces equipped with the best available. As Patriots, that's what all of us want.
But remember, that's not the only consideration.

Quad tube NVGs like you've said are as of now, a protected technology and not available outside of the US.
Even if they were, they cost 65000 USD apiece.
Do you really think we have that kind of money as of now?

While people are quick to compare equipment levels, they don't apply the same logic to the respective economies and defence budgets of the two countries.

Also, the argument of our people not kicking their equipment much is a reality. There's a vid on YouTube of Yudh Abhyas 2009.. where US mech inf exercised with our infantry.
US soldiers are quoted as saying that apart from their optics, our soldiers considered the rest of their equipment as dispensable... being heavy and cumbersome.

Also, tha rationale behind using a NVG monocular is to preserve natural night vision in one eye.
Israeli SF do the same.
We use Gen 3 NVGs in SF which are made in Israel.
Also, West being a world leader is just a matter of perception.
Certain sources have claimed that FBI HRT was contacted for advice during Op Black Tornado and they threw up their hands saying that they've never handled an operation of this scale before.

The sheer amount of hostages evacuated without casualties and rooms cleared since NSG came into action was unprecedented anywhere in the world.
I also share same thought. Our special forces are par with western counterpart except in sights and radios communication. Western special forces look more bad ass due to their digital camouflage. Their is lots of variation in our forces uniforms

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
I also share same thought. Our special forces are par with western counterpart except in sights and radios communication. Western special forces look more bad ass due to their digital camouflage. Their is lots of variation in our forces uniforms
Like i said before we should always compare to our adversary and not to what is happening thousand of kms from us.

Our SF have to be light weight because the insertion and extraction will be by foot most of the time.

US SF are opposite.Their insertion and extraction is by air.

The moment they have a firefight they cant handle..they call for air support.A 10,apaches and what not.

Moreover,we are mostly involved in jungle and mountainous terrain where carrying so many and such heavy equipment is not wise.

I honestly believe that an accessory upgrade of the AR,good optics,good LMG,BPJ and helmet and some ballistic computers would be enough for our SF.

Sniping is something we need to upgrade.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Basics have to be strong which includes better load bearing gear and better quality rations than a cyborg.

su35

Country flag
Basics have to be strong which includes better load bearing gear and better quality rations than a cyborg.
But i feel our forces lacks cameos also their is a need of massive improved in sniping.
We have marksman but lack proper rifle. Hope to see jihadis castrated by snipers before sending to 72 virgins.
Sir, do you think govt should give free individual soldiers to buy sights and helmets of their choices

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
We have everything needed in this country, What is needed is to implement new training and education ..

Unless their is no proper education regarding importance of various improvement and their need, Their won`t be any improvement despite visible clue laying in front of them ..

But i feel our forces lacks cameos also their is a need of massive improved in sniping.We have marksman but lack proper rifle. Hope to see jihadis castrated by snipers before sending to 72 virgins.Sir, do you think govt should give free individual soldiers to buy sights and helmets of their choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles