Indian Navy pilots set to train at top civilian flying school - IGRUA

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
The Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Uran Akademi (IGRUA) at Fursatganj in Rae Bareli, will impart ab initio training to naval pilots, official sources said, adding that the navy was in talks with the academy to finalise the arrangement.

The IGRUA, an autonomous organisation under the civil aviation ministry, has a range of trainer aircraft.

Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Uran Akademi at Fursatganj in Rae Bareli, will impart training to naval pilots

Its fleet include Diamond DA-40, Diamond DA-42, Trinidad TB -20 and Zlin Z 242 L aircraft.

The intake of pilots in the navy has increased as its aviation arm is in for a major expansion in the coming years.

From about 200 aircraft, the naval fleet is expected to grow up to 600 by 2027.

Naval pilots are trained at the Air Force Academy (AFA), Dundigal, near Hyderabad.

But the AFA was unable to give additional slots to the navy because of scarcity of resources.

The air force had grounded HPT-32, a locally produced basic trainer, because of technical glitches.

Consequently, cadets were being put straight on Kiran jets, a difficult aircraft for rookies to handle.

The problem is being addressed by induction of Swiss Pilatus PC 7 aircraft in the AFA.

The navy decided to use civil resources to meet its requirements, an arrangement that was in place with the Delhi Flying Club years ago.

The requirements for naval flying are slightly different as aircraft are flown over sea.

But the initiation into flying is common for which the civil academy can fit the bill.

The navy will also begin advanced training of its pilots as it expects to get five of the 17 Hawk Advanced Jet Trainers (AJTs) by the end of this year.

These Hawks were ordered for exclusive use of the navy and will be based in Vishakhapatnam.

With the induction of MiG-29K fighters, the navy will need more combat jet pilots. The first squadron - INAS 303 - of MiG-29Ks will be commissioned on May 11 in Goa.

The force will eventually have 45 MiG-29Ks, out of which 16 have been inducted.

They are meant to be operated from two aircraft carriers - INS Vikramaditya and Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC).

While sea trials of Vikramaditya are expected to begin again in Russia in the coming months, IAC is under construction at Cochin shipyard.

The navy is also looking to send a fresh batch of pilots for carrier operation training to Kingsville, US.

At least 40 naval pilots have got trained in the US, with the last batch coming out in 2011.

The naval aviation arm is completing 60 years of existence on May 11.

Indian Navy pilots set to train at top civilian flying school | Mail Online

Ankit Purohit

Country flag
Re: Indian Navy pilots set to train at top civilian flying school - IG

is IGRUA is part of IGNOU ?????

drkrn

can civilians too have a chance here???

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

can civilians too have a chance here???
you want to join in buddy.... !!
Welcome ..more the marrier..

drkrn

you want to join in buddy.... !!
Welcome ..more the marrier..
but i am myopic:cry:
is it ok.i always wanted to fly

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

but i am myopic:cry:
is it ok.i always wanted to fly
I have no depth perception so was rejected by USN Flight School. :-(

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

And I was rejected by IA for myopia! :cry:
@drkrn you can go for PPL... be ready to pay a bomb though. Also, if you are serious to join IAF and qualify on all other parameters, and have money, go for Lasik or PRK.

Last edited by a moderator:

drkrn

what is ppl?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles