Indian Army Artillery

kunal1123

Country flag
Made In India Dhanush Howitzer Fails Last Phase of Tests
Friday, July 21, 2017 by Indiandefense News

The guns are being manufactured at Gun Carriage Factory at Jabalpur
by Shishr Arya

NAGPUR:
The indigenously built Dhanush - the 155mm artillery guns developed on the lines of the famed Bofors howitzers - has failed yet again after reaching the last phase of tests.
In a test fire undertaken last week, a shell hit the muzzle brake, a source privy to the development said. The muzzle brake is the component fitted on the top of the barrel. It helps in reducing the recoil created when a shell is fired.
Sources said the gun had faced a similar issue in the test fires carried out in May this year.
The guns are being manufactured at Gun Carriage Factory at Jabalpur.
Source>>

sbm

Country flag
This seems to be a QC problem. If it was a design issue, it would have been a problem with every gun. That said, increasing the diameter of the muzzle brake might be a good idea.

Zero-Sum-Game

i am worried that this might be an ammunition issue, rather than the design one. Long range rounds pack more charge and therefore are susceptible to rounds hitting the muzzle break if the charge is sub standard. though this might be just my hypothesis but the track record of ofb on quality of ammunition for the artillery is not spectacular one to say the least.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Has there been any effort to reduce the weight of Dhanus Gun barrel?

mayfair

Actually this issue of the shell hitting the muzzle break has been reported for other guns as well including the Bofors guns and the Soltam 130mm that were upgraded to 155mm

This report says as much

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ils-at-the-tip-again/articleshow/59690768.cms

However, sources say a number of similar incidents have happened in the original 155mm Bofors guns too, despite the higher diameter in it. Even the Israeli 130mm gun upgraded to 155mm indigenously has seen similar problems. The muzzle brake in this gun has a smaller diameter as compared to Dhanush.
Muzzle breach is not a new problem in artillery systems but it is certainly not desirable. There are higher chances of shell hitting the muzzle in a gun with a longer range as more power is added to the ammunition. But Bofors, which has lower range as compared to Dhanush, too was susceptible to muzzle hits. Once it happens, the shell cannot travel full range, explained a source.
All these trials will do is iron out kinks that are better discovered now than on the battlefield

delbruky

THE VALOR OF BHAI SATI DAS 1621-1675
Country flag
the famous sidh sales involved in JABALPUR GCF fake parts scam

delbruky

THE VALOR OF BHAI SATI DAS 1621-1675
Country flag
Forum members and delhiites kindly go to his address and talk to neighbors and figure out this guy AMIT GUPTA is the shehzada of which politician or ex army.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
@Kunal Biswas Which ammunition is mostly used for light field guns.
I found different types in OFB site.And what is the difference between both shells.
upload_2017-7-23_10-51-46.png

upload_2017-7-23_10-52-14.png

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Those are HE & Illumination round in white ..

===============

300 guns were meant to be upgraded, 180 guns were upgraded by Soltam. The older Soltam upgrade was not very successful and the company was banned before any tech transfer could take place.

About 300 M-46 guns would be upgraded now, private companies and OFB will compete for the contract.

@Kunal Biswas Which ammunition is mostly used for light field guns.
I found different types in OFB site.And what is the difference between both shells.
View attachment 18053
View attachment 18054
How many are upgraded until now and how many active 155mm guns are present in army.
Here is what i found on OFB site
View attachment 18056
View attachment 18057

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

They are showing shell as well as the cartridge which is detachable and contain charge bags ..

I don`t know the exact name for that cartridge, you may have to google a bit ..

No what i'm talking is there two different types of rounds one is like 155mm shell and charge
And the other is like 120mm tank round.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles