Indian Army Artillery

mayfair

Doesn't ATAGS include elements from both? I assume that a lot of inputs from Bharat 52 would have flowed into ATAGS with Kalyani getting involved.

kstriya

Country flag
Lessons learned from Kargil being implemented now ..
@Kunal Biswas Sir, classes were given to then NDA government and they learned their lessons and are implementing.We lost 10 years in the where the armed forces were neglected to the core. Now in the its different and we are doing good, Jawan & Kissan happy!:india:

Hari Sud

Country flag
Nobody answered a previous post that are we producing enough ammunition to feed all these multitude of guns and gun types. Everybody busy talking about Dhanush - both 45/52, now ATAGS, Bharat -52, TATA and South Korean brand and of course the Bofors.

If enough ammunition is not available then these guns will fall silent sooner than later.

So forget talking about type of guns, there are 166 pages of talk here. Switch to ammunition.

I am asking because, the ammunition and its type is as important.

mayfair

I think I read somewhere that Nalanda factory is now equipped to produce ammunition as well as bimodular charges for all artillery guns

Hari Sud

Country flag
I think I read somewhere that Nalanda factory is now equipped to produce ammunition as well as bimodular charges for all artillery guns

Let us get very knowledgeable masters and moderators of this forum participate in this discussion. That statement of "I think, i read somewhere" is insufficient discussion.

mayfair

Let us get very knowledgeable masters and moderators of this forum participate in this discussion. That statement of "I think, i read somewhere" is insufficient discussion.
Excuse me, I didn't realise only peer reviewed research articles were allowed.

My apologies.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
During Kargil a lot of things got exposed, 155mm import was one of them ..

Back then, Factories could produce 155mm ammunition but were never given a green light just like dhanush 155mm never given a green light, Only after Kargil someone pointed out which resulted in mass production, This is something which has been talked many times over.Their are two factories involve in making these shells and propellants since post Kargil war

Also their is news of export of bi-modular charges to UAE not too long ago ..

Ordnance Factory Board aims to create self-suffiency in defence production

KOLKATA: Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) has drawn up plans to make India self-sufficient in production of arms and ammunition with the twin objectives of reducing imports and meeting nation's requirements.

"We are creating added capacities in the production of T-90 tanks and Pinaka rockets at the various ordnance factories", S K Chowrasia, member, OFB, said.

Chowrasia, who is slated to assume the office of chairman of the board from December one, told PTI that work was also on to create additional anti-tank ammunition capacity under Project Mango in technical collaboration with Russia.

The OFB had also started production of Bimodular Charge Systems (propellants) at its factory at Nalanda for high-calibre artillery guns, Dhanush and Bofors, with the objective to meet the country's demand, he said.

The country was facing a shortage in the availability of such propellants, he said.

Regarding exports, he said that the board had received an order from the UAE worth Rs 235 crore for the supply of 155 mm shells.

OFB had been exporting to the countries of South Asia, Indonesia, Germany and US and the approximate export turnover was Rs 50 crore.

"While we do export to some extent, the primary objective is to meet the nation's demand", he said on the occasion of Ordance Factory Day.

This fiscal, the board was expected to register an approximate revenue of Rs 15,000 crore as against Rs 13,500 crore in the previous period.

The projected turnover next fiscal had been pegged at Rs 20,000 crore.

OFB had also undertaken designing of Future Infantry Combat Vehicle for the Indian Army in collaboration with the IITs.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ETTWMain

===========

TATA and Kalyani and part of OFB are working together on ATAGS ..

@Kunal Biswas Sir, classes were given to then NDA government and they learned their lessons and are implementing. Now (At last) Pappu:creepy: is reading vedas :eek1:to give some sense to Congress I (But in Vain):crazy:. We lost 10 years in the Kangressi Raj where the armed forces were neglected to the core. Now in the Modi Raj its different and we are doing good, Jawan & Kissan happy!:india:

P.S. Is it me or anyone can help me visualize that this smiley looks perfectly like Pappu :creepy:....?
Doesn't ATAGS include elements from both? I assume that a lot of inputs from Bharat 52 would have flowed into ATAGS with Kalyani getting involved.
Nobody answered a previous post that are we producing enough ammunition to feed all these multitude of guns and gun types. Everybody busy talking about Dhanush - both 45/52, now ATAGS, Bharat -52, TATA and South Korean brand and of course the Bofors.

If enough ammunition is not available then these guns will fall silent sooner than later.

So forget talking about type of guns, there are 166 pages of talk here. Switch to ammunition.

I am asking because, the ammunition and its type is as important.
Reference please.

Then, if true then close all conversations on Bharat 52 and Dhanush 52.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
So i need little information.
At present how many artillery we got?
How many artillery pieces will be procured...and what's their ranges,weight and numbers.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
One more addition might be made in the next decade, we need more Ultra-light howitzers for the second Mountain Strike Corps that will be raised. The current order of M-777 howitzers caters only to the two Arty brigades that will be raised for the 17th Mountain Corps.
I am hoping to see Bharat Forge's ultra light howitzer being accepted for that role, instead of a follow-on order of more M-777.

abingdonboy

Country flag
One more addition might be made in the next decade, we need more Ultra-light howitzers for the second Mountain Strike Corps that will be raised. The current order of M-777 howitzers caters only to the two Arty brigades that will be raised for the 17th Mountain Corps.
I am hoping to see Bharat Forge's ultra light howitzer being accepted for that role, instead of a follow-on order of more M-777.
At least 645 M777s will be inducted by the IA

Krusty

Country flag
Only if full TOT takes place. Otherwise the number stays at 145.
I don't understand how people expect full TOT. Cutting edge/bleeding edge tech will never be shared for any reason. Give me one good reason why cutting edge tech would be transferred through TOT. No country would willingly do that.
They have spend decades of reasearch pouring billions of $ and millions of manhours by foremost Scientists and Engineers to develop that tech what they are doing to day. And you just expect them to give it to us? The price is for the guns only. Maybe some auxiliary components but definitely not the main tech like the titanium barrels and so on

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
At least 645 M777s will be inducted by the IA
  • We have the largest Mountain warfare force on the planet with 13 Mountain Divisions that need artillery support and we plan to have 2 more Artillery Divisions to support 2 new Mountain Strike Corps.
  • Initially, the requirement for Ultra Light Howitzers (ULH) might be limited to 16 artillery regiments for the two Mountain Strike Corps, but gradually, we need to see an upgradation in the firepower of our defensive Mountain Divs as well.
  • Given the number of ULH guns we are looking at, it is prudent to go for an indigenous design. There is ample time before the next Mountain Strike Corps is raised to allow us to come up with an indigenous tried and tested ULH , and the current orders for
  • The current order of 145 M-777 will be enough to cater to the raising of the 43rd Artillery Division of the 17-Mountain Strike Corps. I do not see why we need more M-777.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles