Indian Army Artillery

Country flag
In the Artillery procurement plan apart from general field requirement laid down by Army. Other major requirement which doesn't highlighted much by the media is that these Artillery guns will be fully capable to fire Tactical Nuclear Artillery shell such as W48 or Soviet equivalent ZBV3 etc

Other being these artillery is not terrain specific like the case earlier and lastly to offer element of surprise due to the range.

===================
These things should never be told- IMO media should turn a blind eye to even weapon buying and missile tests- I remember an 155mm reactor grade plutonium shell was tested along with weapon grade plutonium in sub-kiloton yield in Shakti tests 1998-

Do you have any information about Neutron bomb development ? Both Russians and Americans have used Neutron bombs regularly in Middle east- Russians have even planned to use Neutron bomb in tank ammunition to create 300 meter circle of total destruction- Such shells could come in handy to India- But we would have to develop neutron bomb technology and test it-

Country flag
this is what i like most about K9,..............................................View attachment 15324
How feasible would be to mate Bofors/ULH with Heli-crane type helo configuration-

Or even 105mm field guns-

I am not talking about Slinging But Full integration- A Howitzer which can fly from peak to peak and shoot after landing-

Just like we have APU integrated in our Bofors-

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
These things should never be told- IMO media should turn a blind eye to even weapon buying and missile tests.

This is according to a Lt Gen level officer (retd) who said this to Anurag Punetha on IDA. He was involved in Arty procurement process.

sthf

Country flag
@Guest US tried that with CH-47. It didn't work. With ever modernizing air defence, that thing will be swatted like a fly.
----------------

Now that the K9 agreement is signed, it is about time Army brass get their heads out of their asses, cancel the wheeled arty tender and order 200 more of these babies.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
It would have been much welcome if this system mounted on Arjun chassis ..

This reminds me of Bhim ..
We can still hope that the ATAGS will get mounted on Arjun chassis.

But the thing is, an Arjun chassis mounted howitzer will only be able to support a column of Arjun tanks. Who will support the T-90s?
Even so, I would like to hope that K-9 purchase is a stop-gap and the future is:-
  • ATAGS gets inducted
  • ATAGS based Bhim is developed
  • Bhim induction makes Army realize how new infrastructure creation for induction of more Arjuns is even more feasible due to economies of scale due to same chassis.
  • Army inducts at-least 1000 Arjun and supporting Bhims.
Its ammo storage capacity of K9..................
I thought that the best thing about the K-9 was the K-10. BTW, I dont think K-10 is part of the deal, is it?

mayfair

I thought that the best thing about the K-9 was the K-10. BTW, I dont think K-10 is part of the deal, is it?
No it's not. No idea if there are plans to acquire K10 at all.

It would have been much welcome if this system mounted on Arjun chassis ..
Apparently the idea was floated early on but Techwin turned it down.

sthf

Country flag
@Adioz Even though the comment wasn't directed at me, please allow me to butt in. I don't think that reviving ATAGS based Bhim is financially or strategically feasible. According to my understanding, the requirement for self propelled arty is as follows.

6 arty brigades attached to 6 RAPID divisions, I.e. 324-378 units. 100 tracked has been ordered & 200 wheeled are under consideration.

15 independent arty brigades are to be filled with MGS, ie 810-945. This is where AMAGS (if it exists) comes in.

I am hoping that Army brass stops running after dollars, cancel the wheeled tender and order 200 more K9.

@mayfair You sure about K10.

Adioz

@Adioz Even though the comment wasn't directed at me, please allow me to butt in. I don't think that reviving ATAGS based Bhim is financially or strategically feasible. According to my understanding, the requirement for self propelled arty is as follows.

6 arty brigades attached to 6 RAPID divisions, I.e. 324-378 units. 100 tracked has been ordered & 200 wheeled are under consideration.

15 independent arty brigades are to be filled with MGS, ie 810-945. This is where AMAGS (if it exists) comes in.

I am hoping that Army brass stops running after dollars, cancel the wheeled tender and order 200 more K9.

@mayfair You sure about K10.
@Adioz

(4 regiments each consisting of 18 K-9 and 4 K-10) + (10 K-9 and 2 K-10) = 100
4 regiments alone will not suffice for 6 RAPID divs IMHO. And what about the Armoured Divs?
This makes more sense if we have each K-9 regiment attached to each Armoured Div. The 4th regiment might get split up into batteries and assigned to each of the Independent Armoured Brigades. Either RAPIDS or Independent Mech Inf Brigades, meanwhile, might be the ones to get Wheeled SPH.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Arjun operated by Armour and Arjun based SPGH are operated by Arty & their logistics flow are different, They do not depended on each other for spares ..

According to Army and DRDO evaluation, It was decided to mount 130mm cannon on Arjun rather T-72, Arjun based SPGH are already operational in Army in form of catapults, some 40 as known from open sources..

During exercise shatrujeet ..

We can still hope that the ATAGS will get mounted on Arjun chassis.

But the thing is, an Arjun chassis mounted howitzer will only be able to support a column of Arjun tanks. Who will support the T-90s?
Even so, I would like to hope that K-9 purchase is a stop-gap and the future is:-
  • ATAGS gets inducted
  • ATAGS based Bhim is developed
  • Bhim induction makes Army realize how new infrastructure creation for induction of more Arjuns is even more feasible due to economies of scale due to same chassis.
  • Army inducts at-least 1000 Arjun and supporting Bhims.

Adioz

Arjun operated by Armour and Arjun based SPGH are operated by Arty & their logistics flow are different, They do not depended on each other for spares ..

According to Army and DRDO evaluation, It was decided to mount 130mm cannon on Arjun rather T-72, Arjun based SPGH are already operational in Army in form of catapults..

During exercise shatrujeet ..
Which all arty units use SPGs? Only the ones supporting Armoured Divs? Or do RAPIDS and Independent Brigades also get integral SPG support?
Also, which one is more preferable the current 130mm mounted on Arjun chassis or an "AMAGS" (ATAGS on Arjun chassis)?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
BHIM was meant to get its own gun from ARDE, This will eventually happen in near future ..

Afaik, These SPGH seen as part of Strike 1 corps ..

Which all arty units use SPGs? Only the ones supporting Armoured Divs? Or do RAPIDS and Independent Brigades also get integral SPG support?
Also, which one is more preferable the current 130mm mounted on Arjun chassis or an "AMAGS" (ATAGS on Arjun chassis)?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
How feasible would be to mate Bofors/ULH with Heli-crane type helo configuration-

Or even 105mm field guns-

I am not talking about Slinging But Full integration- A Howitzer which can fly from peak to peak and shoot after landing-

Just like we have APU integrated in our Bofors-
When you got HELINA why you want to have 105mm its quite dangerious for helicopters.

sthf

Country flag
@Adioz Either follow on orders or wheeled arty will equip the RAPID divisions.

It is my understanding that armoured divisions are not stand alone but are a part of Strike Corps and thus are covered by 40th & 41st artillery divisions. Strike Corps are offensive but slow moving units so the required support most likely comes from towed arty units.

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
Very informative video on Indian artillery for those who are interested. (HINDI)

BTW there is very interesting discussion on Indian TNW program in The video (straight from retired general's mouth).

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles