Indian Army and DRDO co-operate to boost tank-killer Nag missile

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Nice fantasy but one does not need ten kg organ for it, it can be done with 250 gm organ.Secondly, would Nag perform the same job from UAV or drone as do the Hell-fire, Pars etc. Hitting air to ground target. You seem to hallucinating (sorry to say that).Could you see the original requirement called GSQR. Who asked you to deliver a 40 kg missile !!
Again with less knowledge you are shouting, or you are doing on purpose for argument winning..

The difference is 5kg, Now its the warhead or propulsion dont matter, 5kg weight is negotiable..

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Then why there are various armies using different type of ATGMS and what is the logic behind it, Perhaps tell them the same thing..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
some people have no idea how things work. First, army issue GSQR, then drdo starts its work, without GSQR they cannot work or else audit will hang them, except for some special black projects.
Nag is made as per GSQR, some time gsqr is funny, again it is for the user. For nag Gsqr said that 8 missies on carrier and 4 inside the carrier. When awked the reason for the same developer said, 'dont know why, we just followed Gsqr, we cant go without it'.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Again with less knowledge you are shouting, or you are doing on purpose for argument winning..

The difference is 5kg, Now its the warhead or propulsion dont matter, 5kg weight is negotiable..

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Then why there are various armies using different type of ATGMS and what is the logic behind it, Perhaps tell them the same thing..
I am very well awere what I am saying and better do not pass judgements. I think I spent my life on it..... you are just beginning to ...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
NAMICA:

Hellfire:

------------------------------------

Even hellfire project was stopped, One thing is to learn from is the size of the carrier, M113 comes in versions and it suited the requirement, In India BMP is in production Only, In such situation one should reduce the size of the vehicle with wide tracks or make a new vehicle for the system and many to come..

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Bhadra got a point, compare DRDO with Israeli military industries and we can make out the difference, I also like the Russian style of weapon procurement, firstly induct the weapons and test and develop it within military test program in this way, procedural and bureaucratic delayed can be lessen to some extent. It is not really to cherish when DRDO have major projects in multiple platforms and the result in achievement and market dominance is such miserable, leave along market dominance let it be perfection and system performance. Leave along perfection and let it be induction and operational platform. I do not question the ability of the scientist and I know they are way better then me or us who are discussing the matter here, so they are there. But point is why this miserable performance by that agency? where is the loop hole? what are the alternative approaches that can be taken? What is DRDO's benchmark compared to other similar agencies worldwide? Are their any management, bureaucratic or any other flaws that can be overcome? This are queries not to insult DRDO's scientist but progressive academic debate and discussion.

Regarding NAG-ATGM, I think if the project was performed under Army test, development and supervision, that means development after procurement, FPA problem should not be a major issue as and when better FPA are available they could have been replaced with the new ones as and when available upon the existing missile system, This way you have something that is better then nothing during war times. But what I believe is the Army is not ready to accept is as development after procurement is not a compulsion for DRDO and as Army have no say upon development but only during evaluation, they are not ready to accept a probable stale dated cheque for problems not related to the army, why the army would compromise upon issues which are not of their problem? But if the development agency would have been a part of IA, certain issue would have been easy to sort out. I think another major concern for the army is the vehicles swimming ability with the load, so their was report to reduce the load upon the vehicle to 8 from the current 12 missile configuration and the weight of the missile.

Where would the army play a vehicle which is a partial amphibious? I think DRDO being not the agency to face the real time experience missed the point and again the vehicle have to be redesigned and after that another lengthy procedural evaluation from the Army before final procurement, just like they do while procuring foreign arms. DRDO could have been more then a civilian agency or could have been a quasi armed force agency as to describe a fanboy debate :troll:

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Prasun Sen Gupta :rolleyes: have this picture in his blog as

L & T's Re-Engineered NAMICA Troop Commander Vehicle

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
L&T re-engined vehicle..

Reducing weight by reducing Missiles on ready to fire mode..

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
^^ It would have been better if it would be a cartridge of 4 or more. As the missiles operate in pop up mode it eliminates the need of bulky and heavy casings as in case of outside the tank installation.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
^^ It would have been better if it would be a cartridge of 4 or more. As the missiles operate in pop up mode it eliminates the need of bulky and heavy casings as in case of outside the tank installation.
You cannot have more two coz with this config the weight is 15tons of the whole system..

-------------------

There is no problem with 8 ready to fire module, Its a good innovation, But its the vehicle that makes problems..

NAMICA:

Hellfire:

------------------------------------

Even hellfire project was stopped, One thing is to learn from is the size of the carrier, M113 comes in versions and it suited the requirement, In India BMP is in production Only, In such situation one should reduce the size of the vehicle with wide tracks or make a new vehicle for the system and many to come..

BMP itself is a 12ton vehicle that need to changed by lighter Armour weight vehicle with wide tracks..

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I say drop the internal load then soldiers don't have to worry about reloading a heavy missile. It would take too long anyway to make a difference without a hoist and it lowers vehicle weight. Put the extra loads in a hoist equipped ammo vehicle that can run around the company reloading as needed.

As far as the FPA, I am suprised DRDO was even able to make one with the limited optronics industry. I thought the FPA was Israeli. Now it will be French... no complaints there. Shame on them for not knowing a last generation FPA wouldn't work in a desert... that is just a waste of time.

agentperry

though better arms and ammo are required for better performance of army in war but another factor is that they should be aplenty when required. having 400 javelin wont make any good thing in war. but having half the capable but 100 time more in no nag will scare a shit out of any army in the world

kaustav2001

Country flag
found my lost pic of inside nag carrier....................:namaste:
you can see space for putting 2 nag missile on one side, other two on other side.
I took it in 2008.
An excellent find. Come to think of it, I never really realized how big the missile actually is. Couldn't help compare it with the best in the business -

NAG
Weight 42 kg (93 lb)
Length 6 ft 3 in
Diameter 7.5 in
Warhead 8 kg tandem warhead
Speed 230 m/s

Hellfire
Weight 45.4 kg (basic) – 49kg (L Model)*
Length 5 ft 4 in (basic), 5 ft 9 inch
Diameter 7 in
Warhead High Explosive Anti-Tank (HEAT)/ 9 kg tandem anti-armor/ 8 kg shaped-charge
Speed 425 m/s

*AGM-114L is used for the Longbow Apache system & has a millimeter wave, fire-and-forget guidance system.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles