India to China and the U.S.: We'll Go it Alone, Thanks

amitkriit

Officials and thought leaders in India are increasingly wary of these two global powers, which are both taking an interest in the country

Beijing is not trustworthy

The U.S. is also untrustworthy

Ergo India will find its own way forward

The end-game is that India will chart its own course, relying overwhelmingly on no-one but itself. It is true that much of Indian foreign policy allies nicely with U.S. aims at the moment.
However much Washington would like to partner with India in much the same way that it cooperates with Australia, Japan, and South Korea, that scenario is probably wishful thinking. Instead, Washington can take advantage of where interests with Delhi overlap--on China for example--but move cautiously on issues such as advancing India's desire for a seat on the UN Security Council, where our interests diverge far more than coincide.
Source

pmaitra

I like that idea. Yes, we should only go with the US where our interests coincide and refuse to buckle down where they do not.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
After reading that article I must confess I will never understand diplomacy.

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Washington can take advantage of where interests with Delhi overlap--on China for example--but move cautiously on issues such as advancing India's desire for a seat on the UN Security Council, where our interests diverge far more than coincide.
India desires a permanent seat on the Security Council, then. Should have happened a long time ago.

ejazr

Ambassador
I think most people on DFI would agree that this is what we have been discussing here for a while now. Because after all, China and US will look after THEIR interests not India's.

Case in point is how both China and the US will not allow Pakistan to collapse or breakup even though both have their own (different) reasons for it.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Could somebody please expalin to me why do we expect the US to look after our interest. This has been the running theme in many of the threads here. Even ejazr has pointed it out above.

It is a dog eat dog world. If there are advantages in having a strategic partnership with the US then India will go for it. But going back to the good old NAM days, denouncing the great Shaitan the US on public forums and then running to Washington for loans and aid- let us all grow up and face reality.

If India aspires to be a power then we will have craft relationships and deals with our interests in mind. Countries will not bend to accommodate uson our whims and fancies.

Last edited:

sob

Mod
Country flag
I think most people on DFI would agree that this is what we have been discussing here for a while now. Because after all, China and US will look after THEIR interests not India's.

Case in point is how both China and the US will not allow Pakistan to collapse or breakup even though both have their own (different) reasons for it.
ejazr : Is it in our interest for Pakistan to break up?

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Good god! And ToI was talking about G3 :D

Seriously to get a hang on what awaits these relationships, what hinders these relationships, what good can come out of them and what stand would India take, one needn't travel all the way to India and then speak to diplomats, politicians, men from the armed forces and other strategic thinkers, all these people could have done and can do in future is browse through DFI, interact with the members here and one will get as good a feel of things.

I have always maintained, when it comes to international relations, DFI has a pretty good hang on the indian perspective, so next time just check out DFI.

A.V.

Good to say go it alone , but is there the resolve to go at all or atleast crawl , because it seems to be lacking

shashi

Breaking pakistan into 3 or 4 pieces may bring peace.Baloch , sindh, PoK are all disillusioned with punjabi hegemony .NWFP can be merged with afghanistan.Only punjab needs to be kept under tight control.All others can be made independent states with a 'special relationship' to India ! Just my 2 cents !

agentperry

India is addicted to soviet brand opium. its not available today. you dont have to make friends with the stature you have- the quest is for partners!!

India needs to co-operate( read persuade) usa to take on pakistan with iron fist of almighty. this means that India have more know how of pakistani functioning with slight info about isi assets. this comes with minimum weapons to pakistan( and those which goes to them should have counter measures shipped to India).
with china India needs to secure some basic things like no territorial bloodshed in near and mid future.

of course India should work on better policies in between for mid-course correction.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles