India Requests Harpoon II Missiles

sandeepdg

Well i agree with ur point but instead of purchasing those harpoon's we can co-ordinate with Russia and produce the lighter version of Bhramos
I agree with your point about a lighter Brahmos, but that's not gonna happen, I think. Nobody from the Indian side or the Russian side has mentioned anything like a lighter version in the same class as the Harpoon, though I would also prefer such a development, it will permanently end our dependence on any other anti ship missile in the future.

sandeepdg

I think the NSM/JSM would be a far better Weapon than the US Harpoon. Which, like the Exocet is becoming dated........IMO
The JSM is a better option than the NSM. NSM has a higher range than the Harpoon, but a far smaller warhead. JSM, has a substantially longer range at around 240 Kms.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
i don't think it is wise to invest more on the bhramos programme which will already on course to have a hypersonic version by the next five years.the reson i am saying this is because the bhramos programme has a big limitation and that is the range which cannot exceed 290km owing to russian obligation to mtcr agreement and so it role will remain as a very important tactical missile.hence it is wise to invest more in lrcm,nirbhoy,hypersonic long range cruise missile(hstv) than in lighter version of bhramos.nevertheless,india should have gone with more bhramos missile instead of junks called harpoon.

sandeepdg

i don't think it is wise to invest more on the bhramos programme which will already on course to have a hypersonic version by the next five years.the reson i am saying this is because the bhramos programme has a big limitation and that is the range which cannot exceed 290km owing to russian obligation to mtcr agreement and so it role will remain as a very important tactical missile.hence it is wise to invest more in lrcm,nirbhoy,hypersonic long range cruise missile(hstv) than in lighter version of bhramos.nevertheless,india should have gone with more bhramos missile instead of junks called harpoon.
Those developments are crucial, but till we have capable anti-ship missile that can be easily integrated on all platforms, we will continue to need the Harpoons. They are not junk, the Americans still use them and so do at least 20-30 other countries.

Parthy

Air Warrior
Harpoons: India to pay US almost three times more than Pak

The defence ministry is set to procure 21 AGM-84L Harpoon Block II missiles and its five training varieties of ATM 84L Harpoon Block II from the US government for a total of $ 200 million (approximately Rs 909 crore).

But this price is about 200 per cent more than what Pakistan paid four years ago for the same missiles, the Harpoon Block II. While the average unit cost of the missiles for India is a little less than $ 8 million (approximately Rs 36 crore), Islamabad paid only about $ 3 million (approximately Rs 13 crore) per unit. Pakistan's consignment of 130 units had cost $ 370 million (approximately Rs 1,682 crore).

While the defence ministry refused to comment on the deal in response to a written questionnaire, the US government's Defence Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) has notified the US Congress about the impending deal under the foreign military sales (FMS) programme.

The corporate beneficiary of the contract will be Boeing Inc, which was the original manufacturers of the missile.

The quoted price of $ 200 million for the missiles is not negotiable as, under the FMS, after notification and a clearance from the US Congress, Washington will be sending a ' letter of offer and agreement', which can only be accepted.

The navy spokesperson, Commander PVS Satish, who confirmed the details of the deal said: " I had handled a similar FMS contract some time ago. As far as I know, the offer price is the final price." The defence ministry can argue that the Indian contract has associated equipment, parts and logistical support. But the deal with Pakistan also had similar components.

The Indian price covers containers, spare and repair parts, support and test equipment, personnel training and training equipment, the US government and contractor's technical assistance and other related elements of logistics support.

Pakistan's sale also included five encapsulated Harpoon command launch systems, 115 containers, missile modifications, training devices, spare and repair parts, US government and contractor engineering and logistics support services. The defence ministry refused to give a response when questioned on the rationale behind the 200 per cent hike.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/site/S...twice-more-than-pak-for-harpoon-block-ii.html

arya

Country flag
so what we have lots of money and buddy there comission goes to many pockets

usa need pakistan not india

we need best wepaons for our force

RebateKing

It seems India has a tendency (perhaps policy) to have multiple sources for almost every weaponry.
I don't know if that's a wise use of resources, but I guess it does help to check out the best to offer out there, then possibly develop something of their own.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
i still can't understand what is the logic behind procuring junk missiles called harpoon at 3 times the price than procuring more bhramos which is a multipurpose,multiplatform weapon.there is no role which a bhramos missile cannot perform in tactical strike scenario which a harpoon can perform better.a harpoon may be a good weapon to kill a whale but when it comes to cruise missiles nothing beats the bhramos.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles