India bans gay foreign couples from surrogacy

Discussion in 'Foreign Relations' started by LurkerBaba, Jan 19, 2013.

1. LurkerBaba

LurkerBaba Staff Administrator

Commercial surrogacy is a booming industry in India, and in recent years the ranks of childless foreign couples looking for a low-cost, legally simple route to parenthood have been joined by gay couples and singles.

The measures mark the first step to the regulation of "surrogacy tourism" in India.

The rules say foreign couples seeking to enter into a surrogacy arrangement in India must be a "man and woman (who) are duly married and the marriage should be sustained at least two years".

The rule changes, posted on the Indian home ministry's website, were denounced by fertility clinics and gay rights activists as "discriminatory".

--

The new India rules, which also state applicants must apply for a medical instead of a tourist visa, come as legislation to regulate the industry has yet to be passed by parliament.

The bill says only women aged between 21 and 35 can act as surrogates but sets no minimum payment for the mother.

India bans gay foreign couples from surrogacy - Telegraph

3. jamesvaikom

jamesvaikom Regular Member

In India many poor women give birth to get more subsidies from Govt. Why can't they make money by acting as surrogates? Foreign gay couples can provide more facilities for children than poor Indians.

Mad Indian likes this.
  4. spikey360

spikey360 Crusader Senior Member

After a long time, UPA is working like a government and taking a few decisions which make sense.

Gay-> Even the thought and idea makes a normal person nauseous. I have a question for you, why bring that child into this world at all? No child-> no question of providing facilities.

I think I'm gonna throw up. :sick:

jackprince likes this.
  5. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Good decision.

Gays should be allowed to marry but not adopt children.

Illusive likes this.
  6. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

A family must be balanced. A man and wife complement each other. Moreover, a baby can be born only out of a heterosexual relationship. Homosexuality is unnatural and exceptional. Homos should be given equal rights when it comes to business, profession, and general life, but when it involves family and raising kids, sorry, they must be discriminated against.

Snuggy321, Illusive and Razor like this.
  7. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

It is exceptional but not "unnatural". I don't need to provide links to you, you can get them faster with a simple Google search.

You might argue that a mother's love and care is a critical part of a child's upbringing. I wholeheartedly agree, but then, what does one do when the woman of the house (in a normal heterosexual marriage) dies of natural causes or in an accident or something?!

I don't have an opinion on this yet - I have not made up my mind. But I really feel that a large part of the angst here comes just because of an irrational and inexplicable dislike or hate for homosexuals. Why can't we just say, "well, maybe those guys have some feelings which we cannot comprehend/understand/appreciate" and leave it at that? Why all the "disgust" and "anger" and "hate" all around?

Dovah and Mad Indian like this.
  8. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

Well, I thought they should all together ban haveing children for a while. To many mouths to feed.

However Gays should be allowed to adopt children, better among fags than on the pavement i always say.

Dovah likes this.
  9. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

I think lesbians can be allowed to adopt babies as the whole "motherhood" concept is not missing there..gays though, I have no opinion.

Illusive likes this.
  10. civfanatic

civfanatic Retired Moderator

A father figure is just as important, if not more important, than a mother figure. Look at all the teenagers in America who grew up in single-mom households and end up in jail.

balai_c likes this.
  11. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

That I guess has more to do with the supposed individualistic upbringing of the kids than with anything else..the upbringing of children in India is radically different from those in America..

Illusive likes this.
  12. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

Right, better on the pavement than to fit our moral standards!

13. Phenom

Phenom Regular Member

Good that they're finally regulating this industry, many experts demanded some regulation to deal with this booming industry.

-------------------------

Since Indian gays aren't allowed to marry or adopt children, it understandable that they extended the same law to any foreign couples, we can't have two different laws for Indians and foreigners.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  14. balai_c

balai_c Regular Member

Quite an astute statement. A typical single mother family has no strong exemplary male figure for a growing male child. Other than hypermasculine bravado shown every day of TV, a typical adolescent boy has no guide to look up to. Even schools in USA has negligible population of male teachers as a prospective role model , and this ratio is actually declining everyday.

male teacher vanishing breed

This vacuum is filled by his anti social peers, pushing him to a life of crime. This is a growing concern in USA, and most Anglosphere countries.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  15. balai_c

balai_c Regular Member

Sorry, but this is a sexist statement. If lesbians can adopt , or birth babies through IVF (the preferred method), then why not gays? Either make it valid for both end of the outliers, or ban it for both ends. Unlike lesbians, gays do not have a built in vagina within their body, which compels them to either adopt, or , in this case, hire a surrogate uterus.

16. Illusive

Illusive Senior Member Senior Member

I agree with Messiah, Pmaitra and KS. Its more about perspective for the child in case of gay couples. Parents have a huge influence on their children's life and in some way it'll affect the childs thinking. In case of lesbians, well lets just say a mother has always a way of bringing up their kids in the best possible way, not just in us humans but in every other life forms too.

17. sasi

sasi Senior Member Senior Member

Good move.