India asks U.S to Sell mine-resistant vehicles to be left behind in

Kushal sinha

Re: India asks U.S to Sell mine-resistant vehicles to be left behind i

Why cant Indian government privatise the ordanance factories which will produce better and more durable mpv's

Jagdish58

Why cant Indian government privatise the ordanance factories which will produce better and more durable mpv's
You are doing a big sin by commenting this , If we give opportunity to our private companies then how will babus , middle men & men in uniform get kick backs in US $$$ ??:lol:

And what will happen to non performing Public sector defence industry:scared2:

We have to take care of all right??/:p:sad:

mikhail

Country flag

@Blackwater, Take this as a formal warning for the last time ..

1. Don't Insult our servicemen ( C-130J crash thread ) ..
2. Give a proper research before making some claim ..

If you are so much confident about some thing non-Indian and that gives you right to go on insulting we Indians, We have a limit to tolerate it to an extend..
But sir don't you agree that buying a couple of thousands of these "used" MRAPs from the U.S. will serve our forces quite well in the maoist belts!I mean just imagine a scenario where we would be getting 2000 of these MRAPs at a fraction of a cost from the U.S. surplus in Afganistan(the cost of a brand new MRAP is around $800,000-$1 million).That way we could press more of these MRAPs into service in the maoist affected areas and thus would save the lives of many brave Jawans from I.E.D. explosions.Plus the fact remains that the OFB produces around 200 MRAPs(4*4) each year for the Police forces,so it would take atleast 5 years to manufacture around a thousand MRAP but on the other hand if we go ahead with this deal we would get around a 1000 ready to use MRAPs.What's your take in this matter?

Last edited by a moderator:

Immanuel

Country flag

The rest will go to Pakistan. If you aren't advising to buy all 10000-13000 MRAP designated to be divested, then the number that India will not buy will be given to Pakistan in the name of strategic balance and WoT.

Now, we may end up buying 2000-3000 MRAP but the same amount given to Pakistan for free. in the name of WoT support.

In any case if India doesn't buy, still Pakistan will not get more that 2000-3000 as they don't have the money to support them and run them.

so, by buying these MRAP we aren't stopping from USA from giving them to Pakistan for free but, we are giving then one better reason for transfer, which is strategic balance apart from WoT.

So, your first point is lame.

Coming to your second point, I would like to see the life cycle cost to believe how cheap they would be.
Actually there are around 4000 in Afghan and 1500 or so will be reatined the ramining 2500 will be for sale for those who can pay, we'll end up getting them. They also made it clear Pak wont be getting them

laughingbuddha

Country flag

How effective are they? Viz the south african ones?

LalTopi

But sir don't you agree that buying a couple of thousands of these "used" MRAPs from the U.S. will serve our forces quite well in the maoist belts!I mean just imagine a scenario where we would be getting 2000 of these MRAPs at a fraction of a cost from the U.S. surplus in Afganistan(the cost of a brand new MRAP is around $800,000-$1 million).That way we could press more of these MRAPs into service in the maoist affected areas and thus would save the lives of many brave Jawans from I.E.D. explosions.Plus the fact remains that the OFB produces around 200 MRAPs(4*4) each year for the Police forces,so it would take atleast 5 years to manufacture around a thousand MRAP but on the other hand if we go ahead with this deal we would get around a 1000 ready to use MRAPs.What's your take in this matter?
Agree entirely. There is no point Going through the time and cost of tooling up and starting new production lines only to shut down the same two three years later once the inventory has built up. Better to by the US kit now on the cheap for immediate use and use the money saved on other much needed equipment.

Glint

Country flag

Cougar(MRAP) hit with mine and driven at 20 mph by crew back to safe area on three tires and a rim. Crew sustained mild concussions.

This Cougar(MRAP) was hit in Al Anbar, Iraq by a directed charge IED approximately 300-500 lbs in size. All crew members survived the blast and some went out the next day.

Gotta admit that these things are tough to go down.

laughingbuddha

Country flag

Will suit bastar.

EXPERT

anybody know what's the status of the request . . .

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Men matter more than anything, Buying 1000 will only make some hundred operational, Rest for spares ..

On second thought, We can reverse engg these vehicles for our own industry ..

======================

On negative side, These would be costly compare to OFB once and they wont provide anything better, Our money should go to national interest than foreign, Also buying from outside will give another excuse for corruption and dependent on Imports ..

We have better system, We should order from our own ..

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag

We shpuld consider the immediate needof military rather than about the domestic industries growth.Even if we order the domestic players to pproduce such vehicles it will cost many years to get finalised and many valuable lives.And thhere is also chances that the domestic production may not happen at all.:p.
We should buy the military surplus at cheap rates in order to meet the urgent requirements.
We should also consider about buying small arms like HMGs,rocket launchers,MAG58s,sniper weapons and bomb disposal robots if they too are for sale

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Its 2014 where OFB, Mahindra and TATA MPV are already operational within Paramilitary and Police forces in gud numbers, Buying such scrap at such price is waste of time and money ..

Jagdish58

Its 2014 where OFB, Mahindra and TATA MPV are already operational within Paramilitary and Police forces in gud numbers, Buying such scrap at such price is waste of time and money ..
Kunalji but many think this might be sold to Pakis

my point Pakis brought F-16 used from jordan & Mirage from aussies just to stop the pakis from buying this old war horse should we but these second hand dud

common sense , at this rate we might import even a iron nail for use of armed force :thumb:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Even If they sold to PA, It wont be an issue for us ..

These vehicles are simply too expensive to maintain unless more than half of these are turn to scrap to provide for spare, What left is too little against an Army but Insurgency ..

In short they have serious need for these vehicles to sort out Internal issues, These vehicles against IA Infantry are sitting ducks for 84mm RCL HEAT rounds / 105MM / 155mm / 120mm guns and motars if used ..

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag

Even If they sold to PA, It wont be an issue for us ..

These vehicles are simply too expensive to maintain unless more than half of these are turn to scrap to provide for spare, What left is too little against an Army but Insurgency ..

In short they have serious need for these vehicles to sort out Internal issues, These vehicles against IA Infantry are sitting ducks for 84mm RCL HEAT rounds / 105MM / 155mm / 120mm guns and motars if used ..
sir, india is asking MRAP so that pakistan won't get it , thought pakistan not in condition to maintain it but they can give it to china and you know chinese talent of cloning, and china will come with a low cost MRAP and will business it . Perhaps I think chinese people are clone of korean people

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Pakistan is a dependent country, China is not dependent on Pakistan ..

China will get it one way or another, What we should learn is to make our own National Industry strong as Chinese, That should be our goal ..

And i am glad, That we make some best MPVs in the Globe ..

sir, india is asking MRAP so that pakistan won't get it , thought pakistan not in condition to maintain it but they can give it to china and you know chinese talent of cloning, and china will come with a low cost MRAP and will business it.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag

Pakistan is a dependent country, China is not dependent on Pakistan ..

China will get it one way or another, What we should learn is to make our own National Industry strong as Chinese, That should be our goal ..

And i am glad, That we make some best MPVs in the Globe ..
Ya that is also a good may be best option for india

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles