IN Scorpene Submarines - News & Discussions

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
I have to take issue with this because it is the Germans who are screwing up all of the joint aviation projects. A400M disaster is caused by Germans making a defective gearbox. NH90 suffering corrosion from defective airframe structures. Eurofighter supply chain held up by German contractors who can't deliver on time. That is just the aviation, if you want to talk about their own naval problems don't even get me started. Thyssenkrupp is a disaster. Really the only thing they make of quality is land systems and that is now owned 50% by France.
Interesting. Perhaps they dont send their best people into defence? Or maybe theyre underfunded?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Interesting. Perhaps they dont send their best people into defence? Or maybe theyre underfunded?
Underfunding is the problem. Taking Thyssenkrupp for example, they have been trying to sell their marine business for over a decade and decided not to upgrade their facilities. No one made a decent offer and now they are paying $3 million in fines a day for delayed submarines and naval repair work. The yards are full of broken and under-consruction vessels but they can't finish the job. When they finally do push it out it is full of defects just like their last frigate the German navy rejected.

Shashwat

Country flag
Next 3 submarine will be called Vela, Vagir and Vagsheer.

Admiral Lanba said he expects timely construction and speedy delivery of the remaining three submarines — Vela, Vagir and Vagsheer. “The three submarines are in various stages of outfitting. The entire project is expected to be completed by 2020,” a defence official said.

“Today’s launch should mark an eventful 2018,” said MDSL’s chairman and managing director Rakesh Anand. He also said that MDSL is in the process of upgrading and would soon have the capability to build and launch two lines of submarines.

INS Kalvari, manned by a team of eight officers and 35 sailors, carries sea-skimming SM39 Exocet missiles and the heavyweight wire-guided Surface and Underwater Target (SUT) torpedoes. For self-defence, it has mobile anti-torpedo decoys.
Source - http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ins-karanj-boosts-navys-firepower/article22613449.ece

---

Here is a nice quality video of the launching ceremony - unlike other this is HQ video./

Just the video, the content is bogus- The MDL Chairman is playing into the hands of this bonkers media house by saying its a Nuclear sub.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
Totally BS !
sorry to write that.

Actually german army is weak. Nothing in common with WW2 wermacht !
Actual german army is weak because they spend a paltry 40 billion dollars on defence. I am talking about the hypothetical scenario where they spend 4-5% of budget on defence.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Actual german army is weak because they spend a paltry 40 billion dollars on defence. I am talking about the hypothetical scenario where they spend 4-5% of budget on defence.
The problem is they have let their MIC rot for so long the costs would go deeper than that to bring it up to speed.

Prashant12

Country flag
Scorpene submarine programme makes progress

The second Scorpene submarine Khanderi is expected to complete sea trials by the middle of this year, while the fourth and the fifth submarines, under construction at Mazagon Dock Limited, Mumbai, are expected to be assembled later this year. The third submarine Karanj was launched into water early this week.

Khanderi is undergoing extensive trials, including deep dive trials. The fourth and fifth Scorpene submarines are to be booted up this year,” a senior officer said on Friday.

‘Boot Together’ is a process wherein five separate sections are welded to put a submarine together.

Technology transfer

Khanderi, which was launched in January 2017, is expected to complete all trials by the middle of this year, subject to the Monsoon and will be ready for induction. MDL is manufacturing six Scorpene submarines under technology transfer from Naval Group of France under a 2005 contract worth $3.75 bn. The first of the class, INS Kalvari, joined service in December last year.

Meanwhile, the just launched Karanj has to undergo rigorous harbour and sea acceptance trails after which it would be commissioned into service.

Karanj will join the Navy next year. The fourth Scorpene is expected to be launched into water next year,” the officer added.

The Scorpene class is the Navy’s first modern conventional submarine series in almost two decades since INS Sindhushastra which was procured from Russia in July 2000.

Meanwhile, the Navy is drawing up plans to install Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) modules on all the Scorpene submarines when they go for normal refit six years after their induction.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...-programme-makes-progress/article22637521.ece

Shashwat

Country flag
MDL is making a second line for submarine. Not sure what its for but GOI must be planning something to augment the depleting fleet. Maybe it for a follow on order of 3 or 4 enhanced Scorpene or maybe P75I goes to Naval group with SMX 3.0 design given its built on top of Scorpene design and has 3000 tonne displacement with VLS and what not.

Here is the link for enhanced Scorpene with some changes to sail which can now accommodate 8 masts, some much needed changes to propulsion and rudder -

http://www.navyrecognition.com/inde...-scorpene-2000-ssk-submarine-at-udt-2015.html

SMX 3.0 seems to a complete revamp with more displacement and it leverage ideas from Barracuda.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
MDL is making a second line for submarine. Not sure what its for but GOI must be planning something to augment the depleting fleet. Maybe it for a follow on order of 3 or 4 enhanced Scorpene or maybe P75I goes to Naval group with SMX 3.0 design given its built on top of Scorpene design and has 3000 tonne displacement with VLS and what not.

Here is the link for enhanced Scorpene with some changes to sail which can now accommodate 8 masts, some much needed changes to propulsion and rudder -

http://www.navyrecognition.com/inde...-scorpene-2000-ssk-submarine-at-udt-2015.html

SMX 3.0 seems to a complete revamp with more displacement and it leverage ideas from Barracuda.

Interesting to wait the output of the next french President trip to India on this subject....

mhk99

No disrespect to you dear brother, can't help notice You said "than china", I agree that Chinese have a large army but cmon bro 'the chinese' with their stolen drawings and with no fundamental understating of ergonomics, design, mechanics, optics and physics are a Piece of shit power rightly called "PAPEL TIGEL" for a reason. I beg you to not make such a wahiyaat comparison again.

The Germans even today if willing and if need to can create THE MOST FORMIDABLE in army, navy, air force and cyber command in the WORLD in NO TIME. I have spoken to many american and russian current vets and believe me 70 years on WW2 even today the mention of 'gestapo' sends shivers down americans and russians spines alike. The putins and other top leaders don't just move in german built motorcades for no reason.

Don't be fooled by the niceties of german govt, just wait and watch even with simpleton stuff like BREXIT for example you'll see for yourself how ferocious they can be. As the saying goes "Sau Choohey Khaker Billi haj ko chali".
Q. just guess after the soviet collapse who retrained and upgraded the russian troops equipment manufacturing processes and their modus operandi. (Rhinemetal). Indians are barely learning how to design and build modern guns, Russians are adept in designing and building their own guns but Germans make the machines that make guns..........for all.

Have you heard of a 9 axis cnc lathe?
Be careful with Kuka, China has purchased this robot company recently, so this 9Axis CNC lathe is probably chinese owned!!

delbruky

THE VALOR OF BHAI SATI DAS 1621-1675
Country flag
I wonder what were our so called dolt head tycoons doing Ambanis, Mahindras, tatas etc. I think the Mahindras are the most over rated of all them, big snobs and the biggest dolt heads of all. They spend almost nothing on R&D and pay very little. Their best product after all these decades of existence is a farm tractor which needs hatoda chap robotics, Zero Axis

undeadmyrmidon

I wonder what were our so called dolt head tycoons doing Ambanis, Mahindras, tatas etc. I think the Mahindras are the most over rated of all them, big snobs and the biggest dolt heads of all. They spend almost nothing on R&D and pay very little. Their best product after all these decades of existence is a farm tractor which needs hatoda chap robotics, Zero Axis
We are more service and manufacturing oriented than R&D focused as of now.

delbruky

Country flag
We are more service and manufacturing oriented than R&D focused as of now.
All the more reason why critical foreign acquisitions make sense. Dunno what's up with the Germans allowing the Chinese to get away with such critical technologies, on one hand the Germans refuse to sell India weapons i.e. Heckler and Koch guns in the garb of human rights abuses. On the other had they let the worlds biggest human rights abuser get away this such critical technologies. All this human rights craps in only bound upon India and no one else. btw Heckler and Koch guns are readily available for paki use along with all the imdaad pakis receive from Germany.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Next 3 submarine will be called Vela, Vagir and Vagsheer.

Source - http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ins-karanj-boosts-navys-firepower/article22613449.ece

---

Here is a nice quality video of the launching ceremony - unlike other this is HQ video./

Just the video, the content is bogus- The MDL Chairman is playing into the hands of this bonkers media house by saying its a Nuclear sub.

Submarine's outer finishing looks low in quality

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
Please dont include the dark era when license raj was dominating.

cyclops

Country flag
Old Indian conglomerates have evolved during Nehru's Licence Raj.

It has sort of become a habit for them to acquire licenses from better companies and sell it to the end user for an inflated price.

They are more or less middlemen.
You can't really expect them to change their tune so quickly after decades of singing the same fucking song.

India's saving grace will be our startups.

Which is why funding them, quick and easy provision of licenses and hand holding them during their nascent years is what'll truly bring R&D and indigenisation to the fore.

undeadmyrmidon

All the more reason why critical foreign acquisitions make sense. Dunno what's up with the Germans allowing the Chinese to get away with such critical technologies, on one hand the Germans refuse to sell India weapons i.e. Heckler and Koch guns in the garb of human rights abuses. On the other had they let the worlds biggest human rights abuser get away this such critical technologies. All this human rights craps in only bound upon India and no one else. btw Heckler and Koch guns are readily available for paki use along with all the imdaad pakis receive from Germany.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited:

delbruky

Country flag
Old Indian conglomerates have evolved during Nehru's Licence Raj.

It has sort of become a habit for them to acquire licenses from better companies and sell it to the end user for an inflated price.

They are more or less middlemen.
You can't really expect them to change their tune so quickly after decades of singing the same fucking song.

India's saving grace will be our startups.

Which is why funding them, quick and easy provision of licenses and hand holding them during their nascent years is what'll truly bring R&D and indigenisation to the fore.
With due regards to IT startups the initial investment is low their, online fund raising is (somewhat) easy, their assets are mostly IPR and patent related works and success and failure depends upon their business model, Niche and social outreach is important for suceess, same can't be said about manuf. startups.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
If Tata's and kalyani can acquire critical foreign manuf. entities so can others. No one is stopping them from seeking foreign funding. If Elon Musk can send a red cherry convertible up in the space, these guys can at least try a Hero Cycle. the point is INDIAN ENTERPRISE IS VERY RISK AVERSE AND THE DOLT HEADS IN MAHINDRA ARE LITERALLY ON TOP OF THAT LIST. Imagine the risk people like Steve Jobs and Elon musk took to become what they are.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Submarine's outer finishing looks low in quality
What is "low quality" in this? What part of the finish? Please specify.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles