IAF Chooses Apache AH-64E Attack Helicopter

IndianHawk

Country flag
No, Because their are no alternative to LCH on this planet earth hence IAF decided to buy stop gap solution of best preform-ace gunship on this globe ..

Keep in mind MI-28N lost to AH-64 long bow in trails ..
Yes LCH has no alternative.

But Apache has its own qualities.
It can carry more payload and armament at medium altitude.

May be it has been bought as a stop gap but the way I see it it will soon find its own niche role.

That will also free up LCH fleet to engage at heights. In a two front war scenario we need LCH fleet to fully engage in Himalayas while Apache and likes can take Battle in desert of thar and Punjab border.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
One has to maintain steady supply of spare and ammunition to keep machines running that cannot be done with imported content despite how attractive it is, If India was a small African state, this could have been a possibility ..

apache and likes can take Battle in desert of thar and Punjab border.

IndianHawk

Country flag
One has to maintain steady supply of spare and ammunition to keep machines running that cannot be done with imported content despite how attractive it is, If India was a small African state, this could have been a possibility ..
Au contraire we are the fourth largest airforce in the world but without a fully developed industry .

Now with economy our forces will grow in both numbers and specialized division.
Thus imported equipment in the airforce is a sad truth for decades to come.

Even after that for some specialized divisions it will still be more economical and politically feasible to import.

With growing budget airforce will be inclined to have a diversified helicopter wing.

Just my 2 cents.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
IAF is more focused on healing itself now, The past was costly and messy.

The specialized hardware will remain till their air worthy remains.

========

Running on imported equipment is never economical, Its eat away a country economically, technologically and strategically.

Au contraire we are the fourth largest airforce in the world but without a fully developed industry .

IndianHawk

Country flag
IAF is more focused on healing itself now, Its focus now indigenisation ..

The specialized hardware will remain till their air worthy remains, They will be just like MI-25/35 squadrons.
I hope so.
Running on imported equipment is never economical, Its eat away a country economically, technologically and strategically.
Still it is an necessary evil for us. The number of different planes airforce operates from combat to transport to surveillance . We won't be able to indigenize them all.

Right now we don't even have any plans for indigenous tankers or heavy lift planes .
And there requirements will only grow

So even after two decades from now we will be dependent on imports for various things.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
One at a time, But not necessarily increase the burden more ..

IAF knows it, It is now and will act under right leadership ..

I hope so.

Still it is an necessary evil for us. The number of different planes airforce operates from combat to transport to surveillance . We won't be able to indigenize them all.

Right now we don't even have any plans for indigenous tankers or heavy lift planes .
And there requirements will only grow

So even after two decades from now we will be dependent on imports for various things.

sthf

Country flag
Apache's payload is about double that of LCH. LCH can carry 8 ATGMs vs 16 for Apache. Each rocket pod of LCH holds 12 rockets vs 19 for Apache.

It is far more than that. It carries 1200 rounds of 30mm ammo. That is a lot of lead raining down on porkies.

Imaxxx

"Shaktimev Jayate" - Strength Alone Triumphs
Country flag
Apache's payload is about double that of LCH. LCH can carry 8 ATGMs vs 16 for Apache. Each rocket pod of LCH holds 12 rockets vs 19 for Apache.
I dont know the numbers but the cost of the Apache is probably more than double that of the LCH. Getting 2 LCH instead of an Apache would provide more firepower, and attacking with 2 LCH may be more disruptive on enemy formations than one Apache. And the benefits to domestic tech development and manufacturing are golden.

Defcon 1

Country flag
I dont know the numbers but the cost of the Apache is probably more than double that of the LCH. Getting 2 LCH instead of an Apache would provide more firepower, and attacking with 2 LCH may be more disruptive on enemy formations than one Apache. And the benefits to domestic tech development and manufacturing are golden.
My post was to correct another member who wrongly said that LCH has more payload than Apache. I am not comparing LCH and Apache as a whole.
But if you really want to compare the two, you must know that apart from double payload, Apache has very advanced avionics, it has an FCR which LCH lacks, its passive firecontrol system arrowhead is more advanced that FLIR, and targetting solution present on LCH. Also it has a 30 mm armor piercing cannon against a 20 mm one present on LCH.
Both LCH and Apache are being ordered, so obviously the armed forces see a role for both. Militaries around the world use both light and heavy attack helicopters simultaneously.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Sancho

US Army stops accepting AH-64E helos from Boeing due to safety concerns

The U.S. Army has stopped taking deliveries of AH-64E Apache attack helicopters from Boeing because the service is not confident in the durability of what it deems a “critical safety” item, Defense News has learned.

“We stopped accepting deliveries of new AH-64 Echoes because of a strap pack nut that we believe to be really suspect,” Brig. Gen. Thomas Todd, program executive officer for Army aviation, confirmed to Defense News on April 19.

As part of Army safety inspections of the fleet, the service determined it was “not happy” with the performance of the nuts in severe, coastal environments and saw corrosion due to climate and stress, according to Todd.

The nut in question holds very large bolts that subsequently hold the rotor blades on the helicopter and is therefore determined to be a critical safety item, Todd explained...
More here:
https://www.defensenews.com/land/20...ety/?utm_medium=Socialflow&utm_source=Twitter

Manish Khan

excellent choice,however, i wish someday we can develop and build this kind of AH on our own.
img.jpg
AH-64E.jpg

WolfPack86

Country flag
Do any one have photos of Indian air force Apache painted in grey colour in test flight please post. I was searching for it since morning but i am unsuccessfull.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Do any one have photos of Indian air force Apache painted in grey colour in test flight please post. I was searching for it since morning but i am unsuccessfull.
No pic has been released yet but IAF Apache won’t be in the typical grey. Will be the only IAF asset not to be painted grey (other than a few Mi-17s in A&N), they will be painted in the typical apache dark green.

WolfPack86

Country flag
No pic has been released yet but IAF Apache won’t be in the typical grey. Will be the only IAF asset not to be painted grey (other than a few Mi-17s in A&N), they will be painted in the typical apache dark green.
Okay bro thank you very much. I got it.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles