IAF Chooses Apache AH-64E Attack Helicopter

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Cannot take the statement in the account, Its old based on information available back then ..

The details of the ceramic plates are old, The Armour is design to take punishment from 23mm ..

This is form Ajai Shukla's blog

Sir ceramics is not a substitute for Armour plates as it can't sustain amount of punishment a steel or titanium Armour plate can bear ..
=========================

Rudra are better suited for Indian requirements ..

Talking high altitude there is no other machine than Rudra and Dhruv ..

best option for high altitude helicopter gunship ,ask your Israeli friends .
UH-60M Armed Blackhawk]

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Team Apache Sensors Conducts Test Flight of the Modernized Day Sensor Assembly on the AH-64E Apache Attack Helicopter

Team Apache Sensors, including the U.S. Army Apache Attack Helicopter Project Management Office, the U.S. Army Aviation Flight Test Directorate and Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT], conducted a test flight of the Apache AH-64E Modernized Day Sensor Assembly (M-DSA) during an event at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, Ala., yesterday.

The test flight demonstrated the maturity of M-DSA and the enhanced capabilities it brings to the Modernized Target Acquisition Designation Sight/Pilot Night Vision Sensor (M-TADS/PNVS), the precision targeting and pilotage system for the AH-64D/E Apache helicopter.

"We are looking forward to the reliability and maintainability improvements that this laser will bring to the M-TADS system," said Lt. Col. Steven Van Riper, U.S. Army Apache Sensors Product Manager. "This system will help to further reduce the burden on our aircrews, and they will be able to reap the benefits of the performance improvements."

M-DSA increases M-TADS/PNVS designation and ranging capabilities to fully accommodate current weapons and those planned for the future. The upgraded sensor enables Apache pilots to see high-resolution, high-definition near infrared and color imagery on cockpit displays. An additional field of view allows image blending with the M-TADS forward-looking infrared, and enables pilots to see civilian and military lighting on a single display more clearly. M-DSA also provides a new laser pointer marker that improves coordination with ground troops and an updated multi-mode laser with eye-safe lasing capability that supports flight in urban environments and critical training exercises.

"M-DSA completes the modernization of the M-TADS/PNVS," said Matt Hoffman, M-TADS/PNVS director at Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control. "The new capabilities provided by M-DSA, such as color in the cockpit and an enhanced laser pointer marker, will support rapid target identification and coordination, as well as improve safety and system reliability for U.S. Army Apache aircrews."

Lockheed Martin, the Apache Program Office and the Army Flight Test Directorate will spend the next few months validating M-DSA capabilities at Redstone Arsenal and Yuma Proving Grounds.

Fielded in 2005, the M-TADS/PNVS system provides Apache attack helicopter pilots with long-range, precision engagement and pilotage capabilities for mission success and flight safety in day, night and adverse weather missions. Forward-looking infrared sensors provide enhanced image resolution that enable Apache aircrews to query targets and provide situational awareness in support of ground troops outside detection ranges. Lockheed Martin has delivered more than 1,200 M-TADS/PNVS systems to the U.S. Army and international customers.

Team Apache Sensors Conducts Test Flight of the Modernized Day Sensor Assembly on the AH-64E Apache Attack Helicopter · Lockheed Martin

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Deal Is on Fast Track

Defence ministry sources on Monday said the around $1.4
billion deal for 22 AH-64D Apache Longbow gunships, armed
with deadly Hellfire and Stinger missiles, and the $1.1 billion one
for 15 CH-47F Chinooks, equipped with powerful contra-rotating
tandem rotors, are "almost ready" now.

"These two deals for IAF will be placed for approval before the
first defence acquisitions council (DAC) meeting to be chaired by
Arun Jaitley on July 19. Thereafter, the cases will be moved for
the cabinet committee on security's final nod," said a source.

Apart from the 22 Apaches, the project involves the acquisition
of 812 AGM-114L-3 Hellfire Longbow missiles, 542
AGM-114R-3 Hellfire-II missiles, 245 Stinger Block I-92H
missiles and 12 AN/APG-78 fire-control radars, among other
things.

m.timesofindia.com/india/India-close-to-finalizing-Apache-and-Chinook-chopper-deals-worth-over-2-5-billion/articleshow/37986287.cms

HMS Astute

good news! i've always been a massive fan of apache advanced attack helicopter armed with lots of hellfire and brimstone missiles which can knock out a lot of tanks, vehicles and small vessels simultaneously. but, the question which i'd like to pop is that are these choppers going to be built by indian defence contractor in india or will they be just imported from the usa.

p2prada

good news! i've always been a massive fan of apache advanced attack helicopter armed with lots of hellfire and brimstone missiles which can knock out a lot of tanks, vehicles and small vessels simultaneously. but, the question which i'd like to pop is that are these choppers going to be built by indian defence contractor in india or will they be just imported from the usa.
Appears to be direct import. I suppose the numbers aren't enough for license production or nobody in India asked for it.

HAL is working on an indigenous version, but will be less capable.

Lions Of Punjab

Country flag
RAFALE DEAL DONE, DEFENCE MINISTER PARRIKAR WANTS APACHES

Long sought by the depleted Indian Air Force, Apache attack and Chinook heavy lift helicopters seem set to punch in through the opening created by Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Rafale breakthrough. Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has sought the mandatory finance ministry approval for purchase of 22 Boeing Apache attack helicopters from the US as a prelude to moving the Cabinet Committee on Security. The $2 billion purchase has been hanging fire since 2009 with the US defence major offering its 11th extension on price till June 30, 2015.

South Block officials said that Parrikar has also directed defence finance officials to fast-track the acquisition of 15 Chinook heavy helicopters from the US or record their reservations, if any, for the CCS to take a final view. "Acquisition cannot remained mired in red tape. If the officials have any concerns, they should record it on file so that the political leadership can take a decision on either to concur with their view or reject it. Sitting on the file is not an option," said a senior South Block official. Manufactured by Boeing, the Chinook deal is worth around $1.1 billion and has been in limbo as long as the Apache.

The Apache qualified in the attack helicopter category as the other contender did not meet the specifications, Chinook qualified for the heavy copter tender as the lowest bidder on grounds of landed price, fuel efficiency and maintenance for 10 years after beating the Russia-made Mi-26 in 2012.

The IAF has only two squadrons of the roughly 25 years old Mi-35 attack helicopters, it has only three Mi-26 heavy lift helicopters with low serviceability. The IAF desperately requires attack helicopters like Apache to counter any aggression from the west and needs rapid deployment capability along the 3,488-km mountainous Line of Actual Control (LAC) with China. Boeing has offered India 15 Chinooks (CH-47F) with the option of purchase of seven more of the twin rotor helicopters that can carry 55 combat-ready troops or up to 11,000 kg of cargo.

In case of the Apache, Boeing has offered 22 platforms with the option of buying another 11 through both government-to-government and direct commercial sales route. The US manufacturer has offered state-of-the-art Longbow radar with Hellfire fire-and-forget all-weather missiles, Stinger missiles and rockets. Both helicopters use top-of-the-line technology and have been battle-proven in the Afghanistan and Iraq theatres.

Rafale deal done, defence minister Parrikar wants Apaches

archie

Country flag
My phone supports 1920*1080 Pix within 5 Inch display 1280*960 seems decade old display :confused:

datguy79

Battle-proven in Iraq/Afghanistan is irrelevant in this context. Insurgents don't have state-of-the-art SAM systems which frankly will make helicopters obsolete in many battlefield scenarios.

Immanuel

Country flag
Battle-proven in Iraq/Afghanistan is irrelevant in this context. Insurgents don't have state-of-the-art SAM systems which frankly will make helicopters obsolete in many battlefield scenarios.
well not entirely true, the uniformed Jihadis of Pak do possess plenty of SAMs. Secondly the initial radar busting tasks during the 1st Gulf war were done by a small element of Apaches flying under cover of darkness flying nap of the earth.

Gulf War 20th: Apache Raid | Defense Media Network

In this day in the Indian context, the Apache in the IAF/IA will be used as airborne commander of Helo battles. They will have local data links, they will be able to command local UAVs and thus will be able to receive info from other IAF assets like AWACS and will be aware of the enemy's radar coverage, movements. Using gaps in the enemy's radar coverage, flying very low using terrain to their advantage along with Rudra/ LCH, Apache's will be able to perform daring raids on early warning sites/ radar stations. More so, they can attack from a distance unleashing a barrage of missiles/rockets, the effect is quite devastating. However, the key is element of surprise, stealth and sheer balls. It all comes down to planning and deception.

For our beloved insurgents, a Rudra is more than enough.

Actually attack helos can be quite effective and deadly if used properly and if well armed and hi tech with advanced stand-off sensors then they can wreck havoc.

Last edited:

Rajaa Chowdhury

I am a novice and just joined today. I read somewhere that USA has Okay-ed 15 BELL AH-1Z Viper for Pakistan along-with a 1000 HellFire II missiles. Just out of interest, I want to know which is the better attack helicopter, the BELL AH-1Z Viper or the Apache 64D Block III / E along-with reasons like speed, range, service ceiling, payload, etc. I felt a bit worried as a google search comparison only showed as follows:

download.jpg

blueblood

I am a novice and just joined today. I read somewhere that USA has Okay-ed 15 BELL AH-1Z Viper for Pakistan along-with a 1000 HellFire II missiles. Just out of interest, I want to know which is the better attack helicopter, the BELL AH-1Z Viper or the Apache 64D Block III / E along-with reasons like speed, range, service ceiling, payload, etc. I felt a bit worried as a google search comparison only showed as follows:

View attachment 5435
Welcome aboard. Introduce yourself in the introduction thread.

Without going into details, Apache, AH-64D Block III to be precise has significant advantages over AH-1Z in terms of armour, avionics, weapon systems to name a few.

They are not be pitched against each other so comparison is useless anyway.

indiandefencefan

Country flag
[/U said:
"Rajaa Chowdhury, post: 1056270, member: 16594"]I am a novice and just joined today. I read somewhere that USA has Okay-ed 15 BELL AH-1Z Viper for Pakistan along-with a 1000 HellFire II missiles. Just out of interest, I want to know which is the better attack helicopter, the BELL AH-1Z Viper or the Apache 64D Block III / E along-with reasons like speed, range, service ceiling, payload, etc. I felt a bit worried as a google search comparison only showed as follows:

View attachment 5435
The Apache is a heavier class of attack helicopter than the Viper and offers several advantages over the Viper such as the following :

1)More advanced Avionics.
2)Customization is greater than Viper ie: can carry out many different types of missions.
3)Larger combat radius.
4)Able to carry more rounds in nose mounted turret ie : giving it greater effectiveness for CAS roles
5)More diverse array of wing mounted weaponry.

However, unlike fighter jets it is very rare for attack helicopters to engage each other in combat hence comparing two is like comparing apples and oranges.
It all comes down to the no. of such assets deployed and the threat level in the region to effectively gauge an attack helicopters performance in a particular scenario.
However generally the Apache is judged to be the more capable platform and has seen more widespread use by many different countries more so than the Viper.

@Rajaa Chowdhury hope this answers your query

Reactions: sob

Blackwater

a decision is good but this deal also include chinook helicopters.when will you actually sign for them ?

When the tender is passed [emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13]

blue marlin

When the tender is passed [emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13]
you have yet to sign for the $2.2 billion deal. when will you sign a contract to state to are buying these choppers, and put down a downpayment to put the contract in effect? anyone can sign for anything on the indian side but on the seller side nothing has materialised.

blue marlin

there are going to be imported, the apache can carry 16 hellfire missiles

Blackwater

you have yet to sign for the $2.2 billion deal. when will you sign a contract to state to are buying these choppers, and put down a downpayment to put the contract in effect? anyone can sign for anything on the indian side but on the seller side nothing has materialised.

me pharsi boli ha ??? did i tel u in pharsi language, i told u the same thing u mentioned. mine reply was sarcastic

Global Defence

New threads

Articles