How many Sukhoi 30 MKIs is India going to have?

Country flag
we should have setup the second production facility when offered 2 years ago by now we would have been producing 2-4 sukhois a month or more,and plus whatever Russia sends.

dineshchaturvedi

Country flag
We have ordered all the Sukhois that we need, in future if we want to spend more money, I would suggest us increasing the number of MRCA fighters from 126 to 200. That will give us variety. I feel MRCA fighters are better in terms of RCS than SU MKI.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
So that makes it over 300? IAF is setting itself up for serious logistics problems. Flankers are gas guzzling high maintenance beasts. Talking about 3 times the lifetime costs of a Mirage-2000. If you put all your eggs into that expensive basket you won't have money to operate the cheaper light fighters. Not to mention MKI is anything but LO.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
oh god not exactly 400 but atleast near to that number man..
first we ordered 230 then +42 and who knows how many more?
Buddy you didn't understood my question, you were speaking such 400 MKI are the ultimate solution for IAF. i am asking how you arrived to that conclusion.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Chairman, Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd, Ashok Nayak - as of DEC 2010

What is the update on the current projects at Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd?
We are manufacturing 140 plus 40 Su-30MKI for the Indian Air Force. So far we have produced around 80 aircraft and we are on schedule this year on this programme. In addition, the IAF will be getting 42 more aircraft, which is also progressing satisfactorily.

http://forceindia.net/interview2.aspx

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Procurement of Sukhoi Aircraft
13:12 IST
Lok Sabha

In addition to licensed manufacture of 140 SU-30 aircraft by M/s Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), a contact for procurement of additional 40 SU-30 MKI was signed with M/s HAL in 2007. Out of these three aircraft have been delivered to the Indian Air Force and delivery of the remaining aircraft is expected to be completed by 2011-12.

The manufacturing of the aircraft will be under Transfer of Technology agreement between M/s HAL and M/s Resoboronexport, Russia. M/s HAL would be procuring the technical kits from Russia and assembling the aircraft.

This information was given by Defence Minister Shri AK Antony in a written reply to Shri L Raja Gopal in Lok Sabha today.

PK / RAJ

http://pib.nic.in/release/release.asp?relid=55262

warriorextreme

Country flag
Buddy you didn't understood my question, you were speaking such 400 MKI are the ultimate solution for IAF. i am asking how you arrived to that conclusion.
nothing is ultimate solution mate...i meant we are using old planes like mig-21 who must be retired soon..but MRCA will take a long time to get functional..we already have dedicated assembly lines with experienced engineers in HAL for su-30 production..we can produce them in more numbers to feel in for the decreasing size of our fighter aircrafts(mig-21,su-30,mirage)

but you might be right because IAF seems happy only to feel in and not to increase our current numbers till 2020

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
nothing is ultimate solution mate...i meant we are using old planes like mig-21 who must be retired soon..but MRCA will take a long time to get functional..we already have dedicated assembly lines with experienced engineers in HAL for su-30 production..we can produce them in more numbers to feel in for the decreasing size of our fighter aircrafts(mig-21,su-30,mirage)

but you might be right because IAF seems happy only to feel in and not to increase our current numbers till 2020
I think you missed the big picture, the MiG21's are getting retired, but MKI are getting added in to the force. The difference in amount of fire power getting retired and getting added is substantial. Also the current inventory of Mig29, Mirage and Jaguars are getting upgraded/already upgraded. MiG 21 Bis are going to stay in fleet for some more time. IAF is adding Hawk trainers which can be used as light bombers if needed. Now the induction of LCA has begun, MRCA will take it's own sweet time, don't count on it. For that reason already 42 more MKI were ordered. And now these also getting added. We need to understand that IAF has put forward need of H/M/L category of air crafts. So heavy portion is taken care, in medium category we are upgrading MiG29/Mirage once MRCA comes it will join there. In light category we are going to continue with MiG21 Bis and LCA gradually getting added.

So over reliance on MKI will not be a good idea.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
We need to understand that IAF has put forward need of H/M/L category of air crafts.
Any particular reason why? I have never understood the logic behind this decision. No other major air force has this kind of requirement.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Any particular reason why? I have never understood the logic behind this decision. No other major air force has this kind of requirement.
There are categories of air crafts in other forces too like USAf has F15/F16 combination. F 15 for heavy hitting and F16 as multi role.

The reason behind IAF requirement was that IAF has to support IA in operations and most of the times heavy fighters are not economical for small endurance bombing missions. Also due to budget constraints we can not have heavy fighters every where guarding the air space/ helping the ground forces/ creating air dominance. Hence IAf has categorized fighters for different roles like MKI for dominating the skies//long range strike missions, the medium fighters doing strike missions and helping light fighters in guarding the air space. And light fighters for guarding the air space/ doing bombing runs if urgently needed and shooting down the cruise missiles :)

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
What about Russia? Flankers at the heavy, MiG-29 in the medium and Su-25s for light attack. China has Flankers heavy, J-10 for medium and J-7 (maybe JF-17) light. Do you want to follow that model or go like France that will have only ONE type... Rafale?

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Armand ultimately IAF has to reduce the different types of planes in inventory, as less types of planes makes the logistics easier. But it will take time.
I feel IAF is going to standardize to MKI and FGFA / MRCA / LCA 2025 onwards. And then gradually move towards FGFA and MCA (2035 onwards).

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Armand ultimately IAF has to reduce the different types of planes in inventory, as less types of planes makes the logistics easier. But it will take time.
I feel IAF is going to standardize to MKI and FGFA / MRCA / LCA 2025 onwards. And then gradually move towards FGFA and MCA (2035 onwards).
What do you think about the one plane model of France? One plane, one logistics trail, fewer but more multi-mission platforms?

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
What do you think about the one plane model of France? One plane, one logistics trail, fewer but more multi-mission platforms?
But Rafale is just the 'Jack of all trades' just like F 18. We have a scenario facing two potent air forces and have a large area to guard. SO it makes sense to have multiple platforms protecting multiple places. IAF has always been a force with dedicated aircrafts. Rafale fits the bill perfectly for DPSA.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
But Rafale is just the 'Jack of all trades' just like F 18. We have a scenario facing two potent air forces and have a large area to guard. SO it makes sense to have multiple platforms protecting multiple places. IAF has always been a force with dedicated aircrafts. Rafale fits the bill perfectly for DPSA.
Why have so many types though? The more types the less aircraft you can actually afford to operate. If you want a buttload of planes then get a couple thousand LCA, don't mix and match shit that gives you less planes. You can dedicate what you need to special missions, only downside is range but IAF doesn't appear too concerned with DPSA anyway.

sandeepdg

What about Russia? Flankers at the heavy, MiG-29 in the medium and Su-25s for light attack. China has Flankers heavy, J-10 for medium and J-7 (maybe JF-17) light. Do you want to follow that model or go like France that will have only ONE type... Rafale?
Armand, we don't have the resources to depend on an single expensive (approx. unit cost of $80-90 million) fighter jet for the whole air force. We need cost effective solutions, hence the variable platforms and aircrafts. Although, in the future, i agree with Nitesh, that our main platforms will be FGFA, MCA and LCA.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Why have so many types though? The more types the less aircraft you can actually afford to operate. If you want a buttload of planes then get a couple thousand LCA, don't mix and match shit that gives you less planes. You can dedicate what you need to special missions, only downside is range but IAF doesn't appear too concerned with DPSA anyway.
IAF is too concerned with DPSA...just look at the number of Jaguars in the IAF fleet. That would give you the idea of how much the IAF insists on its strike fleet.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
IAF is too concerned with DPSA...just look at the number of Jaguars in the IAF fleet. That would give you the idea of how much the IAF insists on its strike fleet.
We know well about Jaguars, it was a French plane for many years. LCA is superior in every way, bombing and A2A so buy LCA to replace it. You need more legs, give it a fuel tank and an AAR.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles