How big is Football in india?

The Germans are coming

I am aware that cricket is the most popular sport in your country, but as a life long fan of club and national team I cant resist and ask.

Are you following the new league?
Are there any really great teams?
Are there political and social assosiations with certain clubs (like Celtic Glasgow in Europe)?
Are there any fierce rivalries?
Is the sports popularity rising or on decline?

Do you think your country could host an entertaining world cup event?

And do you see yourself as having a shot at the next world cup? :D

Last edited:

pmaitra

Cricket is far bigger than football. Football is popular in WB, North East, and Goa, and not much in the rest of the country.

Indian National Football Team is nowhere near the top.

People, however, follow World Cups and Euro Cups.

Brazil, Argentina, Germany, France, and Italy have a good fan following.

My favourite team is Germany.

My all time favourite players are: Oliver Kahn, Diego Maradona, Lev Yashin, Franz Beckenbauer, Pelé , Lothar Matthäus, Oleg Salenko, Valderama, more or less in that order.

Finally, no, I do not foresee India making it past the qualifiers for the World Cups anytime in the next ten years.

Voldemort

Country flag
People in India are quite passionate about football and follow leagues like EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga but our national team is ranked around 140. We wont be playing in a World Cup anytime soon. We are hosting an U-17 WC in 2017.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
SAVE BENGAL :eek1: :scared2:

Sri Sri spares stadium... - Salt Lake escapes Yamuna mauling

FESTIVAL SCARE FOR JR WORLD CUP VENUE

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1160314/jsp/calcutta/story_74370.jsp#.VuZEfn197IU

Mamata Banerjee had invited Sri Sri Ravi Shankar to organise at the Salt Lake stadium the programme that saw tens of thousands trampling the Yamuna floodplain in Delhi over three days from Friday.

Sources in the state sports department said the chief minister had asked Ravi Shankar last December why he wasn't considering Calcutta for his "global event", the World Culture Festival organised by The Art of Living Foundation.

"We have Salt Lake stadium," an official quoted her as saying while trying to convince him that space wouldn't be a problem.

Thankfully for the stadium, plans for the cultural festival in the capital were at an advanced stage. "Ravi Shankar told the chief minister that Delhi had been finalised as the venue for the World Cultural Meet. He promised to keep Calcutta in mind the next time such an event is organised," the official said.

Ravi Shankar had met Mamata to invite her for another programme at the Salt Lake stadium on December 19, an event much smaller in scale than the Yamuna jamboree. The chief minister eventually did not attend the four-and-a-half-hour event organised by the foundation at the stadium that saw a turnout of about 25,000. The evening schedule had comprised "Live Sudarshan Kriya" and "Divine Music and Mass Meditation".

The stage had been built on the running track facing the VIP gallery. Officials associated with the stadium, built in 1984, said they had noticed "damage to the rubber on the already old track" after the event. This was apparently caused during the construction of the stage on December 17 and by volunteers running around.

"The track would have had to be replaced because the rubber was peeling off in places but the programme made it worse," said an official of the sports department.

The largest football stadium in the country is undergoing a Rs 52-crore overhaul ahead of the 2017 Under-17 FIFA World Cup, a global event that dwarfs the Art of Living festival that ended on Sunday.

Twenty-four countries participate in the biennial tournament and representatives from 209 countries are expected to be in the country for the tournament. Football's brightest stars - Neymar (Brazil and Barcelona) and Tony Kroos (Germany and Real Madrid) to name just two - made their mark in earlier editions of the tournament.

To ensure that the stadium, a candidate to host the final of the Under-17 tournament, presents the future Neymars the best conditions to showcase their skills, all sporting activities there have been suspended from January 28. Mohun Bagan and East Bengal are playing theirI-League home matches at Barasat stadium, which will also host matches of the upcoming ISL.

Experts in charge of the Salt Lake stadium revamp were aghast to learn that the stadium had been offered as a venue for a cultural programme with the work still far from complete. According to them, a large-scale cultural programme would have made it very difficult, if not impossible, for them to ready the stadium ahead of a FIFA inspection in October.

The CEO of the stadium and joint secretary of the sports department, Jyotirmoy Chatterjee, described even the October deadline as "tight".

Metro went round the stadium to see the progress of the overhaul and assess the impact that a disruption would have had.

Natural turf

FIFA had wanted the AstroTurf to be replaced with natural grass, so instead of the synthetic surface that was causing and aggravating injuries to players, the pitch now sports a covering of "Riviera Bermuda" grass. The "soft, smooth and player-friendly surface" would not have withstood trampling by thousands of feet. Much of the grass would have been uprooted under so many feet, said an expert.

An employee of Sports Turf and Golf Enterprises, the company in charge of maintenance of the ground, said it would take up to a month to set right even one bald patch.

"The work began on May 11, 2015, and took two-and-a-half months. It involved sowing the grass by hand and clipping each grass at the right time to facilitate growth," he added.

The bill for replacing AstroTurf with natural grass is Rs 5 crore.

Practice grounds

Two new practice grounds are being built at the "Helipad Ground", adjacent to the Hyatt Regency hotel, to conform with FIFA's requirements.

The Rs 8-crore bill includes the construction of floodlights, changing rooms and referees' rooms.

The grounds are being made with the same specifications as the main pitch with layers of clay, stone chips and sand below the grass. A cultural festival would have affected the levelling of the site, now in its final stages.

FIFA had set February 28 as the deadline for the practice grounds to be ready but will take stock of the work during the inspection in October.

Running track

The old track that circumscribed the pitch has been removed and the surface is being readied to lay a new track.

Once the soil is ready, German company Porplastic will start to lay a liquid substance that will solidify to form the surface of the new track.

"It is extremely important to prepare the soil well before the track is laid," explained CEO Chatterjee.

Footfall on the soil would have hampered its preparation. The new track is being laid at a cost of Rs 6 crore, of which the central government will pay Rs 5.5 crore.

Fresh tracks, however, are not part of FIFA's recommendations ahead of the Under-17 World Cup.

Road widening

Roads from all the gates - including some new ones - to the driveway around the stadium are being widened to 50ft.

The levelling work here too would have been undone by thousands of feet. Fresh grass rolls being laid under the stadium ramps might also have been damaged.

FIFA had expressed satisfaction with the number of ramps at the stadium but asked for more gates to be built. The stadium authorities are coming up with at least two more gates, taking the total number to eight. The gates and the road widening would cost Rs 10 crore.

Bucket seats

The concrete galleries on all three tiers of the stadium are being replaced with bucket seats at a cost of Rs 8.5 crore. Wherever needed, the stands are being repaired prior to installing the seats.

The work is expected to go on for months because many galleries need repair. Workers said concrete would not solidify properly if there was movement in the stands.

Installation of the chairs was not recommended by FIFA but the sports department decided to do it to ensure spectator comfort and aesthetic appeal at the showcase global event.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Indian National Team - Stephen Constantine: 'My aim is to develop Indian players and leave a legacy behind'

Constantine has expressed that Iran vs India is akin to David vs. Goliath

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/1...stephen-constantine-my-aim-is-to?ICID=AR_RS_2

The coach of the Indian national team is of the opinion that his players will have good test of their ability versus Iran, but is unhappy with the fitness levels of the players...

The International break is upon us again, with India packing their bags and leaving for Iran's capital Tehran, on the morning of Monday, 21st March, in a group 'D' World Cup qualification round two tie. With a young squad with an average age of 24 years, coach Stephen Constantine believes the national team has evolved the best players in the I-League, that too under his tutelage.

"During my tenure the best players in the I-League have been players who have come from the national team. There were players who were overlooked for various reasons – look at Eugeneson (Lyngdoh), Rowllin (Borges), (Cavin) Lobo, Sandesh (Jhingan), (Dhanpal) Ganesh, (Pritam) Kotal, Sehnaj (SIngh), Holicharan (Narzary), Pronoy (Halder), Gurpreet (Sindhu) and you will understand it. They will only get better with experience and time,” expressed a determined Constantine, speaking to the All India Football Federation's (AIFF) official media portal.

Professing his determination to develop the Indian talent at hand, Constantine added, “When I came in, the easier option would have been to continue with the tried and tested. But I chose the other path to have new blood inducted in the squad which was harder. Simply because I want to leave India in a better position than what I had when I came in."

The British-Cypriot coach was, however, overwrought with the present trial by fire of facing overwhelming favourites Iran who are some 116 places ahead of India in the FIFA rankings, claiming, "Playing in Iran will get as difficult as it can get. They have a history of playing in the World Cup and are the giants of Asia, presently placed at 44. It’s like David vs Goliath on the field.”

The previous time these teams met in India, the Iranians had a fight on their hands but subsequently won 3-0. The Blue Tigers were then adjudged to have played Lyngdoh in a match that he was suspended for and the result was subsequently awarded a forfeit win to Iran.

The former Millwall assistant bayed on the fitness of the players, elucidating, "We have conducted some tests and the fitness levels are not very encouraging. All I can say that players need to be in better condition than they are. You need to sweat and run.”

Laying down his ambitions for the future, the record setting Rwanda coach, explained, "My first target was to take the team to the World Cup Qualifiers which we achieved. The next target was to retain the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Championship and we came out triumphant. The next goal is to be there at the final qualifiers for the 2019 Asian Cup and I want to achieve it too.”

“The AIFF administrators have given me all the support and the freedom to do things as I see fit. I am thankful for that. Furthermore, right from my team manager to the medical staff to the equipment manager -- all my support staff have been excellent,” he benevolently opined.

Concluding with his reverential determination to 'leave a legacy' in India, the LG Cup winning coach stated he was willing to recruit from levels below the I-League to ensure fresh blood is bonded into the team,

“In the process we have handed International debuts to 22 players in 10 months. I have also been able to bring the average age of the team from around 32 to 24. My aim is to develop Indian players and leave a legacy behind when I leave. I recognize a player the moment I see him. He doesn’t need to do anything extra for me. If he has got it, I will squeeze it out from him provided he wants to be there,” he signed off.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
The draw of AFC U-16 Championship to be held on 4th May

Nicolai Adam India U-17 coach

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/2...ampionship-to-be-held-on-4th-may?ICID=AR_RS_4

The Indian colts have qualified as hosts in the competition that is scheduled to be held in India later this year.

The AFC U-16 Championship, set to be held in India from 15th September this year, will be a prelude to the 2017 U-17 World Cup. The Asian Football Federation (AFC) have announced that the draw of the competition will take place on 4th May in New Delhi.

India earned automatic qualification in the tournament as the hosts, where they may have to face the likes of Iraq, Iran,United Arab Emirates and Japan in the group stages. The top four teams will qualify for the World Cup next year.

The India U-16 national team will be travelling to Germany and Netherlands for exposure trips ahead of the tournament, while the AIFF is also organizing a 5-team competition in Goa to help in the preparations this summer.

The nation's best performance in the compeition came way back in 2002, when the U-17 side consisting of the likes of Subrata Paul, Gouramangi Singh, Rocus Lamare and Debabrata Roy had reached the quarter-finals in UAE.

Gessler

Country flag
Football is the same size in India as any other country.

I doubt the ball size changes across different nations.

:biggrin2:

Illusive

Country flag
The game is growing, i see more people playing it, but they need access to better facilities. I see India as a strong footballing nations in a 100 200 years :biggrin2:

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
India denied use of football stadium for training ahead of World Cup qualifier in Iran :mad2:

http://www.firstpost.com/sports/ind...er-2690396.html?utm_source=FP_CAT_LATEST_NEWS

Tehran: India's national football team coach Stephen Constantine expressed his displeasure at the Iran Football Federation not extending the courtesy of letting the visiting team train at the main stadium ahead of the FIFA World Cup qualifier on Thursday.

The minnows landed in the Iranian capital yesterday evening for their penultimate match against the Asian heavyweights. India are currently last in their group and will have one home match against Turkmenistan on March 29 left after the Iran game.

However Constantine's boys have not been provided with an opportunity to train at the Azadi Stadium, where the match is supposed to be held.

"When Iran came over to Bengaluru, we allowed them to train at the match venue for two days expecting that we would receive the same treatment. When you extend courtesies, you would always like to be repaid, no matter what," a dejected Constantine told aiff.com.

"But to our surprise we are being denied to train at the match venue (the Azadi Stadium) for two days. It was understandable that we would also be training at the match venue for two days simply because we had allowed the Iranian National Team to train at the venue for two days," the disappointment was palpable in his voice.

Iran comfortably thrashed India 3-0 in the Bengaluru leg and are likely to double the scoreline in familiar home conditions which can be adverse for the visitors considering it is cold.

Also the fact that they will be missing their star striker Sunil Chhteri. Goalkeeper Gurpreet Sandhu has joined the squad directly in Tehran from Norway, where he plays club football.

"Yeah, the temperatures here are much cooler than what we had in Delhi. We need to settle down fast," Constantine said.

While being denied a chance to train on the main turf left a sour taste, the Indian contingent is happy with the other arrangements.

"We were received well at the Airport and the transfer to the Team Hotel was smooth. My Assistant Coach (Lee Johnson) came here in advance and sorted everything out. The Hotel is a decent one and we look forward to our sessions and the match."

Panjab47

सर्वाग्रेक्षत्रियाजट्टादेवकल्पादृढ़व्रता|੧੫|
Banned
Rather have native sports like archery, kabbadi etc promoted.

International ones like this just means influx of foreign men & rioting because Hindu men are not cucks.

Fuck football values, south america had governments which forced ethnic mixing & they'll be american slaves for a while longer still.

Sports is meant to keep your male population fit & battle ready.

Running around in a chaddi & faking injuries doesn't do this.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
India internationals visit Liverpool for week’s training

Jerry Mawihmingthanga and Lallianzuala Chhangte (Zola) have been invited to Liverpool to take part in a week-long coaching

http://indianexpress.com/article/sp...nationals-visit-liverpool-for-weeks-training/

Two India players have visited the famed Liverpool Football Club Academy for a one-week training in recognition of their hard work and achievements at the LFC International Academy in Maharashtra.

Jerry Mawihmingthanga and Lallianzuala Chhangte (Zola) have been invited to Liverpool to take part in a week-long coaching programme at the LFC Academy in Kirkby, making them the first ever players from the LFC International Academy – DSK Shivajians to ever be awarded the chance.

The first stop on the experience was Melwood (training ground) where Zola and Jerry got the chance to meet first team players, James Milner and Phillipe Coutinho to pick up some tips and words of encouragement before observing a first team training session led by Manager Jurgen Klopp.

The two young players who have been with the LFC-DSK Academy for around two years have performed impressively for both the academy and the India national youth and senior teams.

Zola recently became LFC-DSK’s first ever player to play for the Indian senior team, making history for not only being the nation’s youngest ever debutant but also youngest ever goal scorer.

Shirish Kulkarni, Executive Director, DSK Group said: “It is heartwarming to see that we have players from India who have been invited on merit to train at the Liverpool FC Academy, something which has been a part of our vision for the Academy since its inception.

“Certainly, this opportunity will lay down the pathway for Indian football to follow in the coming years. It will also go a long way in establishing Liverpool FC International Academy – DSK Shivajians as the Centre of Excellence for footballers in India. On behalf of the DSK Group, I would like to wish Lallianzuala (Zola) and Mawihmingthanga (Jerry) a successful outing.”

The LFC-DSK Academy is the first Premier League club branded residential academy in India. Launched in 2014, the academy is currently home to 64 of India’s finest young talents across U-19 and U-17 age groups all receiving access to world-class infrastructure, facilities and coaching from Liverpool FC coaches who are based in India full-time.

Since its launch the LFC-DSK Academy has gone on to enjoy much success of which Zola and Jerry are just two shining examples.

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.
Also Kerala I think.............maybe
Maharashtra and Punjab raced ahead of W.Bengal long ago. Black African footballers are highest paid in Kolkata clubs.
Kerala & Goa are really the soccer hub of India. Mizoram fast catching up.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles