Hi all

Ash

Country flag
My name is Ash and I registered on this last year but have only began posting on threads this week. I am a South African but of Indian decent. My family came to south Africa in the 1890's. I am a keen military entusiast , hence the interest in this site. I am a Dentist by proffession, but also a business man and I import goods (leather) from India. Although I have lived and travelled extensively in Western Europe, I have never been to India but am hoping to change that in the coming months.

I look foward to engaging with the good members of this forum.

Have a great day all.

Regards

Ash

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Welcome to the forum Ash. A very nice introduction. Tell us more about your grand grand parents who migrated from India - their stories.

Ash

Country flag
Thanks Daredevil.
I don't know to much about my forebeares, except that my great great grandmother (parternal side), left India with a 3 month old child, her name was Zinub. We got sick on the ship over to South Africa (S.A), and was put in quarratine once the ship docked in Durban. She subsequently died. The child (great grand mother), was adopted by French missionaries and baptised in Christianity. Once the child reached the age of 9 years, she was old enough to be repatriated in back to India. However they didn't have any records of relatives so the English judge adopted her. the story goes that she lived a priveledged lifestyle amongst the Europeans but longed for the comapny of Indians. She met an Indian worker in the Indian affairs department (he used to deliever documents to the judge) and because he was educated, he asked for her hand and she accepted. However his family did not accept her because she had no family and caste etc, and he was forced to marry again . Both his wives and their kids lived in 2 semi attached houses,

that is only one side of my family, dont want to bore you guys out ther, but my surname is Naidoo.

Daredevil, I hoped this didn't bore you.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Not boring at all. Interesting story. I just wanted to know how they have migrated and what kind of hardships they faced when they landed and how they got the current social status etc.

Thanks for the story. If you got more, please share with us.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Welcome to DFI I am sure you wil have a good time here.

Tronic

Welcome to DFI!

Naidoo... hmmm.. possibly Tamil heritage.. :)

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Damn you should write a story about your family !!

Nagraj

ok this was too short.
can we have a longer version please!
Thanks Daredevil.
I don't know to much about my forebeares, except that my great great grandmother (parternal side), left India with a 3 month old child, her name was Zinub. We got sick on the ship over to South Africa (S.A), and was put in quarratine once the ship docked in Durban. She subsequently died. The child (great grand mother), was adopted by French missionaries and baptised in Christianity. Once the child reached the age of 9 years, she was old enough to be repatriated in back to India. However they didn't have any records of relatives so the English judge adopted her. the story goes that she lived a priveledged lifestyle amongst the Europeans but longed for the comapny of Indians. She met an Indian worker in the Indian affairs department (he used to deliever documents to the judge) and because he was educated, he asked for her hand and she accepted. However his family did not accept her because she had no family and caste etc, and he was forced to marry again . Both his wives and their kids lived in 2 semi attached houses,

that is only one side of my family, dont want to bore you guys out ther, but my surname is Naidoo.

Daredevil, I hoped this didn't bore you.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Welcome Ash.....have fun and enjoy here! :)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles