Harpoons: India to pay US almost three times more than Pak

Vikramaditya

Country flag
I am unable to understand UPA government totally.
why they are buying 3 time costlier

Country flag
Since we are paying 3 times the price do we get to alter them like Pak did??

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
India pays 3 times more for Harpoon Block IIs than Pakistan to the US

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/newsrf.php?newsid=14223

The defence ministry is set to procure 21 AGM-84L Harpoon Block II missiles and its five training varieties of ATM 84L Harpoon Block II from the US government for a total of $ 200 million (approximately Rs 909 crore).

But this price is about 200 per cent more than what Pakistan paid four years ago for the same missiles, the Harpoon Block II. While the average unit cost of the missiles for India is a little less than $ 8 million (approximately Rs 36 crore), Islamabad paid only about $ 3 million (approximately Rs 13 crore) per unit. Pakistan's consignment of 130 units had cost $ 370 million (approximately Rs 1,682 crore).

While the defence ministry refused to comment on the deal in response to a written questionnaire, the US government's Defence Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) has notified the US Congress about the impending deal under the foreign military sales (FMS) programme.

The corporate beneficiary of the contract will be Boeing Inc, which was the original manufacturers of the missile.

The quoted price of $ 200 million for the missiles is not negotiable as, under the FMS, after notification and a clearance from the US Congress, Washington will be sending a ' letter of offer and agreement', which can only be accepted.

The navy spokesperson, Commander PVS Satish, who confirmed the details of the deal said: " I had handled a similar FMS contract some time ago. As far as I know, the offer price is the final price." The defence ministry can argue that the Indian contract has associated equipment, parts and logistical support. But the deal with Pakistan also had similar components.

The Indian price covers containers, spare and repair parts, support and test equipment, personnel training and training equipment, the US government and contractor's technical assistance and other related elements of logistics support.

Pakistan's sale also included five encapsulated Harpoon command launch systems, 115 containers, missile modifications, training devices, spare and repair parts, US government and contractor engineering and logistics support services.

The defence ministry refused to give a response when questioned on the rationale behind the 200 per cent hike. :mad2:

What the hell is the meaning of last line? Aren't people concerned? Should they not protest in front of MOD for this? This is the money of every single Indian we are talking about.

sandeepdg

Well the Americans consider our stupid government a cash cow and they are milking it for all its worth as is evident from this deal !!

captonjohn

Country flag
The defense ministry should be burned and must be investigated all matter. Definitely these babus have taken a lot of bribe and then sell their all property to recover extra cost which we will have to pay. US is considering India a golden egg chicken, hence charge whatever they want.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Better to concentrate on home-build and JV with others..

Parthy

Air Warrior
Hope, the MoD doesn't sign the contract!!

Parthy

Air Warrior
Got to have..
These Missiles are with the package for P8I
24 harpoon block ii missiles ordered is for IAF jaguar's maritime strike role.. that was signed for $170million.

P8i's weapons package has to be yet to derived out and signed.. And the recent news of harpoon was proposed for $200 is for P8i and yet to be signed..

ashdoc

Country flag
Well the Americans consider our stupid government a cash cow and they are milking it for all its worth as is evident from this deal !!
who isnt ??.......the russians increased the price of the groshkov , and the french increased the price of the scorpene.....

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
who isnt ??.......the russians increased the price of the groshkov , and the french increased the price of the scorpene.....
GoI was too stupid to not sign components agreement to lock in rates for Scorpene. Blame that on your babus.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
GoI was too stupid to not sign components agreement to lock in rates for Scorpene. Blame that on your babus.
I agree. The problem is that our government is rotten to the core and in greed for kickbacks, agrees to play the role of cash cow so that it can get its "cut" for the next election campaign. As I said, Indian political structure of the sham of democracy is rotten. The people are simple and hard working at the grassroot level but we have complete @$$%^&*$ working on the top bleeding the people down.

bhogta

Good why only two times, we should give four times. That great good going India. We are rich country not poor like pakistan. We should asked them to give us some fancy showcase for this missile too.

Anil Sankar

Price increased after 4 years.... I don't mind we are paying extra. We just need to move and learn fast.....

JayATL

This article has holes in it...

India Year: Dec 2010
Harpoon: 24 Block II missiles, Contract cost: US $ 170 million, Unit Cost: US $ 7.08 million

Pakistan Year: March 2007
Harpoon: 30 Block II missiles, Contract cost: US $ 191 million, Unit Cost: US $ 6.37 million

Check this out--- http://www.deagel.com/equipment/Anti-Ship-Missiles2010.aspx

btw comparing what pak gets to what india pays for is a bit of a fallacy. they get heavily subsidized aid and arms in exchange for giving up a lot.

sandeepdg

It does defy logic about can someone charge 3 times the price for the same thing !!

btw comparing what pak gets to what india pays for is a bit of a fallacy. they get heavily subsidized aid and arms in exchange for giving up a lot.
Mate, what they are giving up is peanuts compared to what they are receiving !

Last edited:

JayATL

being beholden to the US, in fact being America's bitch and at the mercy of its aid - is quite a bit to give up in my books vs a slight price increase.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles