Happy Durgapuja to everybody & Images

sandeepdg

Happy Durga Pooja to all DFI members !!

And nice pics, Pintu Da, please post some of the different pandal designs that you catch up ! Miss Kolkata like hell during this time of the year :(
North India is pretty drab in Durga Pooja celebrations.

Zebra

Country flag
Happy Navratri and Durga Puja to all DFI members .

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Happy navratri and Durga pooja to all

bose

Country flag
Wish all a very happy durga puja & Navratri...

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
Sealdah Athletics:

Regards
Thank you Pintu for posting the pictures of DurgaPuja festival. You have brought back the memories of my first DurgaPuja festival which we enjoyed a lot. I myself being Punjabi in grade one during early 1960's use to look forward to "Visarjan " ceremony.

Please accept my best wishes and Happy Durga Puja festival.

Tronic

Congratulations to all members celebrating this festival.

Is Durga Puja same thing as "Dushera"? Also, can members here share some information about this festival? The significance, the history, what you are celebrating, etc.

KS

Bye bye DFI

Is Durga Puja same thing as "Dushera"? Also, can members here share some information about this festival? The significance, the history, what you are celebrating, etc.
Its in celebration of the three Devis of Hinduism - Saraswathi, Lakshmi and Durga.

pmaitra

Durga is one of the many forms of Parvati, the wife of Lord Shiva. The other most popular form in Eastern India is Kali.

Her children are: daughters Lakshmi and Saraswati, sons Ganesh and Kartik.

Her opponent from the beginning of the festival to the end (Mahalaya to Vijaya Dashami) is Mahishasura. She, on her visit to her paternal home, is engaged in a ferocious fight with Mahishasura and finally defeats him on Vijaya Dashami; hence, it is a day of Victory or Vijay of good over evil.

The deities worshipped during this 10 day festival are:
  • Durga
  • Shiva
  • Ganesh
  • Kartik
  • Lakshmi
  • Saraswati
  • Mahishasura
  • Other paraphernalia, such as, but not limited to, her weapons, her and her children's modes of trasportation (vahana) and Ganesh's wife, the banana tree.
You can find more details:
Durga Puja - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Happy Dussera!!

May Durgama annihilate every obstacle in your path!

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Do you guys get/give presents in this holiday?

pmaitra

Do you guys get/give presents in this holiday?
Yes, new clothes.

The days after Vijaya Dashami, we go to our friends' and neighbours' houses, exchange pleasantries and have sweets condiments. Well, we used to, but these days, it is more like a party with proper meals and the usage of sweets is dying out because so many people have blood sugar and diabetes these days that even if you serve them sweets, they won't touch it. :)

JayATL

akla cholo akla cholo akla cholo re .... na na na ( forget words after that) my mother ould be so dissapointed in her bengali son..

KS

Bye bye DFI
How could you forget yourself dude? :) Kartik and Ganesh are also worshipped. See my previous post.
Ganesh is worshipped everytime..Infact before praying to any Lord we have to pray to Ganesh. That's the custom here.

But praying to Lord Muruga on Navratri..A new thing I am hearing....

Actually in Tamil Nadu, only Brahmins celebrate the full span of 10 days with all the Kolu stuff.

For the others its mainly the last two days that is the most auspicious and celebrated. 9 th day is Saraswathi Pujai/Ayudha Pujai (books/weapons/tools are worshipped) and the 10 th day is Vijayadasami.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles