HAL Prachand - Light Combat Helicopter (LCH)

bennedose

I was thinking cant we modification on LCH to carry 4 special forces soldiers in case of special mission or emergency as is the case with MH-6 Little Bird.

wont cost that much if engine is powerful in LCH.
This one does the same job and the men don't have to be strapped on outside. The sit inside and jump out when necessary. Casualties can be carried back if needed.
Armed ALH Dhruv - LCH development - YouTube

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Guys , I work in Chennai and have been seeing a helicopter being flown which looks distinctly like the LCH , but only thing is that it seems to be grey in color. And no doesn't look like the digital camo patterns of the TD-2. So is there another TD up and running or have they repainted the TD-2. Also seems to be quite a bit of testing going on around the time I reach office in the IT area of OMR in Chennai at around 10AM. Almost 90% sure it is the LCH.
It can be TD3............

vram

Country flag
It can be TD3............
Yes I was thinking about this being a bit different and was considering the option of the heli being the the next TD. I mean they have already done enough sea level testing as it is with the TD 2 last year. Just Disappointed that couldn't take a snap. But I would have looked decidedly odd or crazy running around my office floor clicking pictures with my phone camera pointed at nothing but the sky!! LOL . Next thing I will sitting before the security officers desk :)

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Guys , I work in Chennai and have been seeing a helicopter being flown which looks distinctly like the LCH , but only thing is that it seems to be grey in color. And no doesn't look like the digital camo patterns of the TD-2. So is there another TD up and running or have they repainted the TD-2. Also seems to be quite a bit of testing going on around the time I reach office in the IT area of OMR in Chennai at around 10AM. Almost 90% sure it is the LCH.

Grey is probably the color It'll be flying in when it's in service. (Like MIs)

All the models shown before it flew was grey too.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Tata group | Media room | Interview with Hemant Achaya | Leading with mettle
ISRO now considers TAML a strategic partner and we expect much more business from them. Our first order from HAL came in 2005 for supplying around 165 components for the Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH). Thereafter, HAL has given us more orders, and this year we will be supplying more than 500 of the 800 parts per helicopter that HAL needs. HAL has also entrusted us with supplying sophisticated carbon fibre tools for their new helicopter programme.

We recently signed an MoU with the advanced composites division of National Aerospace Laboratories, by which we will be the manufacturing centre for the products designed by them. This MoU also gives us the responsibility to market their capabilities globally.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
HAL developing light choppers for high-altitude operations
New Delhi: Indian aerospace major HAL is developing an indigenous light utility helicopter to ferry troops and supplies in high altitude areas such as Siachen Glacier as a programme to procure 197 such choppers from foreign sellers is delayed in view of a CBI probe.

The programme for developing the three-tonne helicopter is in the 'design freeze' stage after consultations with the armed forces headquarters, including the Army and Air Force. The machine is expected to be ready by 2015.

"The LUH programme is progressing well and the project has achieved 'design freeze' following the concurrence from armed forces headquarters. The first ground test vehicle is being readied for factory tests," Hindustan Aeronautics Limited officials said here.

The single-engine chopper would be powered by a French engine, which has been chosen by the country's only aerospace company through a tendering process.

But, at the moment, the plan to procure 197 choppers from abroad is stuck due to various reasons. The first tender to procure the choppers was scrapped by Defence Minister AK Antony after some wrongdoing was detected in them.

The second tender has been stuck for over a year now after the government ordered a CBI probe into allegations that a Brigadier had sought a bribe of around Rs 25 crore for helping a particular vendor in the case.

These choppers are mainly deployed in high-altitude areas in Ladakh to provide supplies to Indian troops deployed there at heights of between 10,000-23,000 feet.

makmohan

Second LCH prototype completes successful sea-level trials - Tarmak007 -- A bold blog on Indian defence: Second LCH prototype completes successful sea-level trials

The second prototype (TD-2) of Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) successfully completed the sea-level trials at Air Force Station, Tambaram in Chennai, last month. A product of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), the LCH -- painted in camouflage colours -- had the trials from October 28 to November 23. The extensive trials were carried out to validate the design improvements implemented on the prototype based on the feedback from initial sea-level trials carried out during June 2012.
A company official told Express that a total of 32 flights were carried out covering helicopter performance, load measurement, handling qualities for various all-up weights (with external stores installed), bank turns and spot turns, low speed handling, single engine performance and auto-rotation. "Considerable improvements have been observed in the performance parameters in comparison with the earlier sea-level trials. All the test points planned were completed successfully with no major snags observed. Representatives of customers and certifying authorities were present during the trials," the official said.
Based on the feedback on various tests done on LCH TD-1, the designers have gone for optimum transmission, modified rotor system and additional weight-reduction on TD-2. "The TD-1 had dummy weapons and sensors. Now, the TD-2 will prepare itself for hot weather trials and we will integrate mission sensors and weapons," the official added.
Confirming the trials, HAL chairman R K Tyagi said that the LCH programme is steadily progressing as per the script. "One phase of trials got over in Chennai and now we are looking forward to other critical missions. The lessons learnt from the Dhruv experience is coming handy to our designers, engineers and Test pilots," Tyagi said.
Since its first flight in June 2011, the LCH TD-2 has so for logged 96 flying hours (146 sorties). The LCH first prototype (TD1) had its maiden flight on March 29, 2010 and has to its credit over 140 sorties. HAL is in the process of accelerating the prototype development flight testing of LCH to achieve the proposed initial operational clearance (IOC) by December 2015. The company now plans to add another prototype (LCH TD-3) to the flight-line by next year.

Defcon 1

Country flag
Second LCH prototype completes successful sea-level trials - Tarmak007 -- A bold blog on Indian defence: Second LCH prototype completes successful sea-level trials

The second prototype (TD-2) of Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) successfully completed the sea-level trials at Air Force Station, Tambaram in Chennai, last month. A product of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), the LCH -- painted in camouflage colours -- had the trials from October 28 to November 23. The extensive trials were carried out to validate the design improvements implemented on the prototype based on the feedback from initial sea-level trials carried out during June 2012.
A company official told Express that a total of 32 flights were carried out covering helicopter performance, load measurement, handling qualities for various all-up weights (with external stores installed), bank turns and spot turns, low speed handling, single engine performance and auto-rotation. "Considerable improvements have been observed in the performance parameters in comparison with the earlier sea-level trials. All the test points planned were completed successfully with no major snags observed. Representatives of customers and certifying authorities were present during the trials," the official said.
Based on the feedback on various tests done on LCH TD-1, the designers have gone for optimum transmission, modified rotor system and additional weight-reduction on TD-2. "The TD-1 had dummy weapons and sensors. Now, the TD-2 will prepare itself for hot weather trials and we will integrate mission sensors and weapons," the official added.
Confirming the trials, HAL chairman R K Tyagi said that the LCH programme is steadily progressing as per the script. "One phase of trials got over in Chennai and now we are looking forward to other critical missions. The lessons learnt from the Dhruv experience is coming handy to our designers, engineers and Test pilots," Tyagi said.
Since its first flight in June 2011, the LCH TD-2 has so for logged 96 flying hours (146 sorties). The LCH first prototype (TD1) had its maiden flight on March 29, 2010 and has to its credit over 140 sorties. HAL is in the process of accelerating the prototype development flight testing of LCH to achieve the proposed initial operational clearance (IOC) by December 2015. The company now plans to add another prototype (LCH TD-3) to the flight-line by next year.
Another delay. In the beginning of the year the expected IOC date was January 2015. Anyways, this will give more time to setup production line.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
I remember sometime back there's this murican (i think) dude when he first saw the digi camo on LCH he thought that it was the 'Swastika' ! :lol:

vram

Country flag

Looks Like I Was right in A way. I did spot the LCH correctly from my office. Only thing is it appeared grey from the office window and I mistook for another version.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
@Twinblade

Can you give more info, links, etc. about the DARE made defense suit for LCH?

Last edited by a moderator:

Twinblade

Country flag
@Twinblade

Can you give more info, links, etc. about the DARE made defense suit for LCH?
Not much info available, except that such a suite in in the works. It should be equal or better than the self defence suite that DARE has proposed for Mi-17V5 with laser warning, missile warning, ESM sensors. It might possibly have some improvements keeping in mind the SEAD/DEAD roles the LCH will have to perform as the brochures of LCH depict provisions for anti-radiation missiles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles