HAL Prachand - Light Combat Helicopter (LCH)

marcos98

First Flight Of India's Light Combat Helicopter

Countdown To First Flight Of India's Light Combat Helicopter

The stage is set for the first prototype (LCH TD-1) flight of the Indian Light Combat Helicopter (LCH), scheduled to take place next month. The TD-1 will be an unweaponised platform, and the test-flight schedule for this prototype will only be towards validating principle airframe, aerodynamics, maneoverability and airworthiness parameters. Weapons integration tests will only take place with the second prototype, TD-2, that is scheduled for a first flight sometime later in 2010. Updates on the LCH follow.
LiveFist - The Best of Indian Defence: Countdown To First Flight Of India's Light Combat Helicopter

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
good going HAL ;Wishing for the best here, this baby should crush any Chinese armor thrust in the Himalayan theater.:goodstuff:

Rage

DFI TEAM
Great news, which engine does it uses?
The Shakti engine; coupled with a Nexter 20 mm turret mounted cannon; an MBDA air-to-air missile; indigenous glass cockpits with fully multi-functional displays developed by HAL; and an EW suite from SAAB; as well as a HELINA missile, which is the A-A variant of the 'Naag' with an extended range of 7 kilometres.

This helicopter, prior to TD-1, was a good 380-400 kgs. overweight though. Granted that attack helicopters are amongst the most difficult combat platforms to successfully engineer (take Sikorsky which lost $ 6.9 billion in their attempts to develop the Comanche before they designed the legendary Black Hawk for instance) but a weight ratio of such proportions could be blunting at the high altitudes of the Himalayas or at the helicopter's combat ceiling of 6000 metres. HAL's bosses have said say they will reduce the weight progressively over successive tech demonstrators and, in a major step-down, that the IAF has agreed to accept a final weight of about 375 kg. as opposed to about 220 kg., still a good 150-175 kg overweight. I wonder what wieght TD-1 is flying at tho, anyone with a scoop care to find out?

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I think the shakti engine has enough thrust as it has displayed it in Dhruv Siachen operations. This might have compelled IAF to accept the weight issues.

Rage

DFI TEAM
I think the shakti engine has enough thrust as it has displayed it in Dhruv Siachen operations. This might have compelled IAF to accept the weight issues.

No arguments there. Except that the weight will directly reduce munitions payload at upper altitudes. That I think is the concern, particularly since this is a light combat helicopter.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
No arguments there. Except that the weight will directly reduce munitions payload at upper altitudes. That I think is the concern, particularly since this is a light combat helicopter.
Yes I accept that sir, but it is far better than flying Mi 17s straped on with missiles and pods. The LCH is the only attack chopper that can negotiate the altitudes of the Himalayas. And I also support the view that we can first induct it and then take care of the slimming down of the aircraft.

Pintu

Great news indeed , and I hope the project may envisage in stipulated time , good luck for the team and our newest baby.

Regards

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
can someone please tell me what is the advantage of having such helicopters?
Well the Attack helicopter forms a major force multiplier and a Close air support weapon. The origins of these kind of machines and the concept was actually developed by the Germans. Due to the complexity of the rotary wing aircraft it was difficult for them to design and produce it. The attack helicopter was fully used first to its maximum extend during the Vietnam war. This was to give support for the troop carrying helicopter from the ground fire. The complete use of attack helicopter was started after the Mi 35 wrecked havoc in Afghanistan. It was used as a psychological weapon. The use of attack helicopter and its inclusion in the doctrine of large scale armored warfare was in 19991 Gulf war. they were used to punch holes in tank columns and give support to the infantry from the air. The Indians faced a lot of problems as no attack helicopter in the world had the capability to operate from the heights of Kargil and the Batalik sectors. Hence the idea of the Light combat helicopter came into being. The ALH has already been used as a fine proven testbed for most of the systems.

This is just an overview. You can go to the Wikipedia to get a good historical explanation and reference articles.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Here though are some design models we are privy to:

The Shakti engine, that will power
the Light Combat Helikopter

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I dont know why the sensors are placed on top of the chin. I think bottom of the chin is a more versatile place.

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
I dont know why the sensors are placed on top of the chin. I think bottom of the chin is a more versatile place.
Yes, I too don't understand why they placed the FLIR there. I will not be able to see below the chopper directly ahead, unless the target is some distance away. Moreso, the blind spot increases with the Chopper's altitude.

bhramos

Country flag
Good Work HAL.
Its a Great news.
happy days to Govt. PSU's recently Astra was tested and now LCH going to be tested.

prahladh

Respected Member
When is this being aimed for induction. I'm sure its not near though.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles