Gun control laws in India.

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
Improve state police forces
If you look at the example in Punjab, police was very heavily militarized after dealing with Khalistanis armed with sophisticated weapons. I would argue that the training of the police is somewhat tied to requirements. A police force dealing with thugs armed with lathis or knives will be very different than one dealing with guns over time.

SanjeevM

Country flag
I remember seeing gypsy mounted guns in those days. Once a gypsy would pass by, terrorists would shiver in those days. Don't know if the battlefield is different today or police in J&K lacks courage and determination like Punjab police.

valkyrie_1810

But I have a solution, allow gun clubs . Encourage citizens to have guns but not to carry them home. ie illegal outside clubs unless certain emergency was flaged in that area , when required for self defence. If state itself is part of such violence like west bengal cant help it, may be center should possess right to declare such emergency right to bear arms when such situations arise . Then struggle becomes at least stalemate. Maximum losses to those who attack will be greater than, those who defend themselves in armed struggle .these weapons should be kept at strict vigilance at notice of police records inside clubs.
This,at least start some world class govt funded Arms club so that like minded people can come and practice the art of self defense,now think of this who will win in a situation,jihadis/maoist vs the totally unarmed population or the Jihadi/Maoist vs 5% veteran gun users in a population? Any kind of resistance is what pulls the ground under the feet of terrorist,that's what explains the terror attacks location,a Jihadi will only barge in an unarmed crowded place rather than a armed locations.

valkyrie_1810

Who cares we have guns or not when we are at peace. May be swords and knifes are enough at homes at normal circumstances.

(But I stick to gun clubs in previous reply and circumstances)
We at peace? Dude guns are enough to keep the state at check,do you know how things went when emergency was triggered all over the country? You couldn't step out of the house or you would get shot and our cucked police force thought it was a good ideas to shoot the country men down for some old lady command.

The question was,will such kind of thing ever be experienced again? The time will be the judge,you guys talk casually that why do we need guns when we are safe lol XD,remember this Britishers gained the momentum and tarnished what was left of us because we didn't had the means to protect ourselves,it took a revolt by the people who possessed guns ie the Navy revolt,to shoo Britishers away.

If we are not learning from our Mistakes we are bound to repeat it.

Would it have been possible for Britishers or Mughal to rule over us if each household had atleast one firearm and everyone organized forming a militia,I swear India would have been impenetrable.

Spindrift

The current ecosystem in India doesn't allow for open sale of firearms.
illegal firearms are openly available in an off the counter type way.

AFAIK Indians in general have a really flawed understanding rights and freedom. 'it's my right' is like some high funda term thrown around just to feel closer to the western society. People rarely realize rights and freedoms have restrictions and limits.
On the contrary most Indians are not aware of their Constitutionally guaranteed rights.

People do understand that some times it is necessary to put reasonable restrictions on rights and freedoms for the greater good, but the problem has always been under the guise of reasonable restrictions the government outright tries to infringe on the said rights and freedoms by being ambiguous while legislating.

Krusty

Country flag
illegal firearms are openly available in an off the counter type way.
Yes, but they are a menace in a few northern states (UP,Bihar are the main sources) only. Most of the other states, the case is different. We should work on curbing the funding and network rather than using it as an excuse to open up firearms ownership. Another case of strict laws lax implementation. Nothing more. So again, are we going to 'learn to live with it' or do something to fix the mess?

People do understand that some times it is necessary to put reasonable restrictions on rights and freedoms for the greater good, but the problem has always been under the guise of reasonable restrictions the government outright tries to infringe on the said rights and freedoms by being ambiguous while legislating.
Please elaborate.

Krusty

Country flag
Would it have been possible for Britishers or Mughal to rule over us if each household had atleast one firearm and everyone organized forming a militia,I swear India would have been impenetrable.
Disagree. Reason why Brits and Mughals gained a foothold is not because we didn't have firearms. It's because we had backstabbers and traitors among those who rules this land and they were willing to give up one eye to get the other blind. There was never a united India to begin with when Brits and Mughals came. Some Rajputs sided with Mughals to fight against Marathas. Too many traitors and power hungry turn coats. Guns can't help

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its always better to stick with double barrel shotguns, They are cheap and effective weapon to discourage Mobs and rioters so does armed thieves ..

There are plenty of small pvt industries producing these, A gud one can cost just 20k ..

Check his channel ..

I would not mind if they kept the strict laws, but OFB's overpriced crap has got to go.

Mangal

Country flag
The arms act as we know it today was formulated in 1959. The situation that existed back then can't be compared to now. Every country and civilization must learn from the mistakes it has made in the past so as to survive the future. The members who are raising doubts over the impact the relaxing gun laws could have are only talking like concerned citizens. But I believe that a deeper thinking is required over the matter. We didn't had Kashmiri exodus back then. The hindus were thrown out despite army presence only proves the fact that no matter how good a security force becomes citizens still need the courage to stand up to such onslaught. Guns could have made the difference. We know for sure that it made in certain other regions. If anyone is of the opinion that Kashmir problem will be limited to Kashmir only is mistaken. Dr. Narang was lynched by Bangladeshis in Delhi. Recently bangladeshi mob attacked a posh housing society. If it wasn't for the guards the whole family would have been dead. Having security guards is a facility available to limited few. If it would have been normal household the mob would have dragged and killed the entire family and we all would have been crying that no one came to help and where was police. The demographics has changed and the normal middle class needs to take into account situations like these. Dont think that if you are living in a metro you are safe. The situation that happened in kashmir, kairana and malda could be coming near your home sooner than you think.

Spindrift

Yes, but they are a menace in a few northern states (UP,Bihar are the main sources) only. Most of the other states, the case is different. We should work on curbing the funding and network rather than using it as an excuse to open up firearms ownership. Another case of strict laws lax implementation. Nothing more. So again, are we going to 'learn to live with it' or do something to fix the mess?
In North the manufacturing is spread out between Haryan, UP, Bihar and MP, in the South (not sure about manufacturing) the major hubs for illegal arms are Karnataka, erstwhile AP, Maharashtra, Kerala as per the open source data.

There isn't much that can be done to prevent this. Even China is not able to contain illegal firearms.

Please elaborate.
Please read the Constitution of India in its entirety and then pick up any law and go through it.

Aghore_King

Country flag
Its always better to stick with double barrel shotguns, They are cheap and effective weapon to discourage Mobs and rioters so does armed thieves ..

There are plenty of small pvt industries producing these, A gud one can cost just 20k ..

Check his channel ..
Thankss for sharing sirr.............

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag

Check his channel ..
Just curious - why double barrel? I can see that loading and shooting is simpler for a newbie but for all intents and purposes a pump action shotgun is superior in terms of speed, capacity etc for home defense no?

I recently purchased this

The first round is non lethal and serves as a warning. The subsequent ones are the real deal. I think it is much superior to a handgun even because I don't have to aim in a high pressure situation which as a civilian I'm not trained to do.

Spindrift

Just curious - why double barrel? I can see that loading and shooting is simpler for a newbie but for all intents and purposes a pump action shotgun is superior in terms of speed, capacity etc for home defense no?

The first round is non lethal and serves as a warning. The subsequent ones are the real deal. I think it is much superior to a handgun even because I don't have to aim in a high pressure situation which as a civilian I'm not trained to do.
Only the IOF manufactures pump actions and as you know that they are known for wrong reasons and the imported ones on the market would cost you a kidney.

Why didn't you go for a Kel-Tec KSG?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The main factors is availability and quality, further there is nothing can go wrong with it and it will always shoot ..

Also, Its worth noting that in India no firearm can be shorter then 21 inch, Afaik double barrel are available in 22 inch in India and rest of the guns have longer barrel, They are cumbersome to operate in small space ..

=====

Going to pump action, These firearm was available via IOF for small duration during former government rule until someone objected and it production was ceased after, These shotguns are rare and available only in few states under price tag of 3Ls, The weapon had issues with feeding in its initial batches ..

This weapon is making a comeback, though its price is not disclosed yet ..

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
Only the IOF manufactures pump actions and as you know that they are known for wrong reasons and the imported ones on the market would cost you a kidney.

Why didn't you go for a Kel-Tec KSG?
Price and ignorance mostly :) I'm new to the world of firearms and not an expert by any means compared to some people on this forum.

I did shoot a Benelli m4 recently and am regretting my purchase now. Oh well, you can't have too many firearms.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Price and ignorance mostly :) I'm new to the world of firearms and not an expert by any means compared to some people on this forum.

I did shoot a Benelli m4 recently and am regretting my purchase now. Oh well, you can't have too many firearms.
Paaji aren't u a US citizen?
Do u own a gun?

Mangal

Country flag
The gun lobby in US is pretty strong. Popularly refered as the military industrial complex by the conspiracy theorists, is so strong in influence and contacts that even after repeated mass shootings the gun laws were not changed to restrict people from getting their hands on automatic weapons. In India we are beginning to see big players of the weapons industry entering into non existent but completely untapped Indian weapons market which has huge profit making potential. The IWI and punj loyed partnership may be the tip of the iceberg and we may see more such partnerships in the near future. If such scenario builds it won't be late that our lawmakers will start contemplating changing the law and relax it so as to make the market more exploitable to these companies. I am pretty confident that our lawmakers love moolah flowing into their pockets. How good or bad it would be is a matter of debate but we will surely see two things changed.
A). The quality of weapons available due to competition.
B). Relaxed laws relating to the type of weapons available and reduction in bureaucratic hurdles in obtaining license.

Krusty

Country flag
In North the manufacturing is spread out between Haryan, UP, Bihar and MP, in the South (not sure about manufacturing) the major hubs for illegal arms are Karnataka, erstwhile AP, Maharashtra, Kerala as per the open source data.
Please cite the source. AFAIK, clamping down on UP and Bihar alone is enough to stem most of the arms supplies in the north and central India. Karnataka isn't a manufacturing hub like UP or Bihar. It is a consumer hub like Delhi.

Tightening implementation of rules/laws/protocol should be the answer instead of introducing firearms.

- when I said pleas elaborate, i meant give some examples. Apologies, I should have been clear.

Krusty

Country flag
Pakistan will be laughing at the prospect of India opening sale of firearms to citizens. All anti Indians, lone wolf attackers instantly have easy and legal access to force multipliers (as opposed to knives which were readily accessible).

We would have made Pakistani isi handlers job easier too since they don't have to deal with the logistical headaches of transferring guns and ammo. Attackers can just walk into a store and buy the arms and ammo required.

And Kerala... Gods own country. Oh yes, commies and mullahs would be salaivating at the prospect of easy access to guns. As it is that state is going to the gutter thanks to commies and mullahs. Oh I can't wait to see legal firearms in places like Mallappuram. As it is political parties cannot save themselves and their offices in Kerala. Add fuel to the fire

I have said it before and I'll say it again, improving state security apparatus is the solution. Opening firearms in India in its current state will only bring more problems than it solves. Anyone can cherry pick incidents in which firearms could have been helpful. But decision makes cannot and should not cherry pick. They should consider the short term and Long term impact across the Indian entire landmass and demographics. Please keep childish cherry picking out of such decisions that affect the whole of India.

British lone wolf attackers use knives and stab people. American lone wolf attackers use assault rifles. Food for thought....

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles