GMR row: India freezes aid to Maldives, ties under stress

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
They are going to cancel the visas of GMR employees

Mohamed Khalid, deputy chief executive officer of immigration department, told Sun Online that since the government has given notice of seven days to GMR to hand over the airport, the work permits and visas issued to GMR employees will not be valid after this period.

Haveeru.com quoted Deputy Immigration Controller Hamid Fathulla as saying that that the decision was made on the back of the government's decision to annul the agreement GMR. He added that though the visas will not be renewed, employees can remain in Maldives until the end of their current visa period.
Maldives airport row: GMR employees' visas to be cancelled - Money - DNA

pmaitra

They are going to cancel the visas of GMR employees
So this is how India ends up getting treated, after so many years of financial aid.

Am I the only one finding this utterly humiliating? Why do we let such tiny countries get away with such audacity?

KS

Bye bye DFI
Fiji may not be of any importance. But it would send a strong message to all countries that India cares for its diaspora too and it could be an starting point to become what I have always wanted India to be - a second motherland to all people of Dharmic origin, even though they dont hold Indian passports. Something like how Shias all over world look to Iran for guidance or wahhabis to KSA.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
I see a larger conspiracy and detailed home work done.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
You think so? I also considered sending our destroyers and pounding the islands into submission, but I thought I'd recommend a graduated response.

After reading the suggestion by
Not sure if all that will be helpful. The PRC thought the same and they now have every other country of the region and from else where in their back waters.

Like, H&R, I suspect something nastier at play here. Is it just a coincidence that the IN Admiral goes on record saying, if need be, the IN is ready to enter the SCS to safe guard the national interests, that too when there is regime change under way in the PRC and Shiv Shankar Menon is under taking a good-will visit to build on the trust level, I suspect not. Quite possible the message to the PRC is to not mess around where you are not supposed to, else there ought to be tit-for-tat repercussions.

We ought to walk through this cautiously and definitely not muddy our back waters as the PRC has. I suspect a definite China hand in this.

Just a CT from my end though, but the timing of all thins looks very suspect.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
military is last option so lets not talk about it. Now we have to do it smartly so that this will not creat problem and at the same time wont creat distrust in others and give our enemies room to exploit the situation. Since their is Court order, we have to play it smart, lets make sure situation dont get out o hand.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Fiji may not be of any importance. But it would send a strong message to all countries that India cares for its diaspora too and it could be an starting point to become what I have always wanted India to be - a second motherland to all people of Dharmic origin, even though they dont hold Indian passports. Something like how Shias all over world look to Iran for guidance or wahhabis to KSA.
I don't look up to Iran BTW. :D

hit&run

Mod
Not sure if all that will be helpful. The PRC thought the same and they now have every other country of the region and from else where in their back waters.

Like, H&R, I suspect something nastier at play here. Is it just a coincidence that the IN Admiral goes on record saying, if need be, the IN is ready to enter the SCS to safe guard the national interests, that too when there is regime change under way in the PRC and Shiv Shankar Menon is under taking a good-will visit to build on the trust level, I suspect not. Quite possible the message to the PRC is to not mess around where you are not supposed to, else there ought to be tit-for-tat repercussions.

We ought to walk through this cautiously and definitely not muddy our back waters as the PRC has. I suspect a definite China hand in this.

Just a CT from my end though, but the timing of all thins looks very suspect.
China and Pakistan work side by side and this tradition runs from the times of Nixon. A single word ''Kafir'' can make vulnerable Islamists act like wet hens against you and Pakistanis are well versed in using the same, China can come late to do the remaining bit and pieces. I see same fate of Afghanistan after NATO gone.

Given India is going to play Nehruvian diplomacy with its neighbours then My theory is that Its easy to work with an absolute wahhabi nation than mix or impending wahhabi one. Lets make them wahhabi or wait for them to cull each other into wahhabis, things will improve for us.

Last edited:

hit&run

Mod
Please explain. I like conspiracy theories :D
Few more massal for your entertainment :lol:

The alarms were going off for long ago about:

1. Strings of pearl.
2. Islamic fanatics taking over Maldives.
3. Foot prints of Pirates in Maldives and their alleged nexus with Pakistani based organizations.
4. Statements of Pakistani Interior minister Rehman Malik about Maldives (with good connotations) giving twinkles about their proactive diplomatic mission in Maldives.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Please dont take Rehman Malik seriously

Today he warned Fazlullah that if he does not cease violence and surrender a "secret" operation would be undertaken to kill him..:p

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I know..but just from a spiritual viewpoint..not necessarily political.
I look at iran geopolitically from Indian interest point of view. No spiritual no religious PoV.

hit&run

Mod
Please dont take Rehman Malik seriously
No I am not, but Intelligent people can even benefit from clowns like him :p.

Its all about just knowing the change in temperature, not the exact Fahrenheit. This is how the brain of a good conspiracy theorist work :namaste:.

Last edited:

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
The population of Maldives was/is highly radicalized. Islamist government shouldn't be a surprise

SpArK

SORCERER
Maldives is a small nation, hence the bullying.

SpArK

SORCERER
  • Is GMR a navratna company that is considered as a state asset like the OnGC.?
  • Isnt it same like any other infra companies?
  • Does the same rule apply to the same company if its denied a tender in one of the state say Orissa, Will GoI take action against Orissa?
  • Is there any other previous instances where our governments have "acted" in the same way in international bilateral relations in the name of a private company?
  • Can other countries do the same if their company is denied a contract in India, say for instance China?
  • Does our government really care for the private companies that much? LOL.
  • The possibility of stake for politicians like in the case of DLF cant be ruled out for acting this stupid.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Few more massal for your entertainment :lol:

The alarms were going off for long ago about:

1. Strings of pearl.
2. Islamic fanatics taking over Maldives.
3. Foot prints of Pirates in Maldives and their alleged nexus with Pakistani based organizations.
4. Statements of Pakistani Interior minister Rehman Malik about Maldives (with good connotations) giving twinkles about their proactive diplomatic mission in Maldives.
But what does the Malidives have to gain from rejecting India and attatching themselves to Pakistan? Money-hell no, influence- no, prestige-no, economic benefits-of course not!! Seriously there is NOTHING Pakistan can offer the Maldives so why are they ditiching India??

KS

Bye bye DFI
But what does the Malidives have to gain from rejecting India and attatching themselves to Pakistan? Money-hell no, influence- no, prestige-no, economic benefits-of course not!! Seriously there is NOTHING Pakistan can offer the Maldives so why are they ditiching India??
Pakistan is just the puppet. The puppet master sits elsewhere :namaste:

BTW sometimes religious motivation can make people do crazy things and believe me Maldives is one crazy Islamist state..probably more than BD.

amoy

• Is there any other previous instances where our governments have "acted" in the same way in international bilateral relations in the name of a private company?
  • Can other countries do the same if their company is denied a contract in India, say for instance China?
China had to swallow the pill even when a contract of the $3.6 billion was revoked Myanmar dam suspension tests vital China ties | Reuters

India could do nothing beyond diplomacy either.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles