Forum Suggestions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
So many threads are started with copy and paste articles from other websites without the member who starts the thread expressing a view.i feel thats just too easy and would make for better discusson if they followed it up with their opionion so we can start from a position of genuine interest, in the subject being debated rather than posting several threads with no real interest in any of them.just my thoughts
the same has been clearly highlighted by A.V. in his post on the thread " forum quality control" and soon all such threads that do not follow any analysis by the poster of that thread shall be deleted. for more on quality control please read the following as pointed out by avi.

A.V. said:
members please note to maintain the high quality of discussions on dfi the staff will delete the 1 liners,offtopic comments and poorly researched posts.
we ask all members to please co-operate and stop posting one liners which do not add to quality discussions, all new members plase take some time to go through the forum before you jump to make comments,
mutual respect for fellow members also seems to be on the decline all members are warned that disrespect to any member will not be taken lightly,
all new thread starters please post new threads with your views just do not use the copy paste button to post news articles give a direction to the discussion

the dfi staff will closely moniter the quality of discussions those threads that have very little potential for quality discussion will be merged to the update sticky thread on every forum< threads will not be deleted if withing forum rules>

if you find you post deleted or thread merged try to follow the rules mentioned above to avoid this in the future

dfi staff
the above post is the first thread on each forum.

Defence Forum Of India | DFI | - Announcements in Forum : Announcements

ahmedsid

Top Gun

sky

Indians love spice so it would be nice i feel if more non indians participated here,on dfi.
by that i mean more pakistanis as well as other nationalitys.if pak and china are the main threats india faces then to get a better understanding of there capabilties,theres nothing quite like getting it from the horses mouth.if most on members are indian well wishers you will only get one side to a story.for better understanding i think it would add more to debates.i know of only 2 pak members who are on dfi ,question is how do we encourage more to join in?

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
guys like H&R suggested on a thread why cant we have a basic IQ test for members and also have a probationary period of 6 months for new members except for MP's ofcourse

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
dear staff and admin in the light of the following thread

: you have lost military professionals
: started by OoE Sir

i would suggest the following mesures to be taken

: to ban any one making a Mockey of the MP's with a complete ban

: maximum effort to be taken to curb fan boyish stuff by individual members

:give the MP's sweeping powers to delete a post that they consider to be invalid in the context of miltary discourse

johnee

F-14,
IMO, you are jumping the gun!
I dont think such reforms are either necessary or desired.

Anyway, its upto the admins to accept or reject the suggestions.

Officer of Engineers

Professional
That is not going to lure anyone back.

You're closing the barn doors after the horses have left. While I appreciate the gesture, what you NEED to do is to create the enviroment when MPs will discuss matters.

Hell, this last "tibbit" about the non-thermo nuke test was a perfect oppertunity. Did India need thermo nukes? Despite my read of General K. Sundarji, you could have come up with alternate Generals with other views and perhaps why K. Sundarji prevailed.

You need debate but informed debate. I have no idea how you are going to attract those but you should start by asking Tankie, Shinny Capstar, Dave Lukins, Ractus Ractus, etc to participate more and give them topics to jump in on.

Closing debates is not the options ... although banning complete and utter idiots would keep the Brits a far longer in the forum than usual.

Shiny Capstar

Professional
Sir,

Just to note that due to commitments I have, my participation in all forums will be somewhat less for some time.

macintosh

I believe the points raised by OOE Sir are genuine and valid. One of the better ways can be to start a military Proffessional section in which only MP"S, DFI stars, MODS and may be a "few other members" can take part. The "few other members" can be selected from among the senior members and you can terminate the access for anyone to that section if the person starts to rant or start projecting unrealistic scenarios or tries to hijack the thread. You can rotate the membership of "few other members" if you like. All other members of DFI can only read posts on that section but not be able to post anything there. It will be a good start I believe. Lets start it as a pilot project and if it succeeds then OK otherwise improve it and if it doesn't work at all then you can always scrap it.

Regards.

Macintosh.

A.V.

good idea mac
we already have a separate forum for the military pros and star members to discuss issues away from the others, we might think of making that visible to all members, but posting by the stars and pros only, also we will open posting in that section for all members which will be subject to the moderation Q and needs to be approved by the mods first before the post is visible to all

i will take this idea up with the staff and lets see what we can do about it..

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
dear staff and admin in the light of the following thread

: you have lost military professionals
: started by OoE Sir

i would suggest the following mesures to be taken

: to ban any one making a Mockey of the MP's with a complete ban

: maximum effort to be taken to curb fan boyish stuff by individual members

:give the MP's sweeping powers to delete a post that they consider to be invalid in the context of miltary discourse
Although harsh, I second that. Its rather necessary.

A.V.

1. banning people permanently is already on, some ip bans have also been done so that they dont reregister

2.give some mod powers to mps are in consideration by the staff

3. some high quality threads and section to be made mp and star only section that might help moreposting from mps

Ratus Ratus

Professional
Ok you have such a forum but do we want to discuss something quietly?
Possibly but if I want to disagree about some say Canadian mil policy or something along those lines I will take it to the appropriate forum where I am a member. This is not that place.

Simply for us MPs who are in reality visitors it is probability better to bring something along and we can/could join in.

As for being visible, that might be useful later. But at startup it could be more productive to leave as is. Let it get going first.

As the good Colonel said "Hell, this last "tibbit" about the non-thermo nuke test was a perfect oppertunity". Yes but some of us would add to this but we tend to avoid the fan boy club as it annoys some of us no end. Not all have the level of patience as the Colonel. The end result we go elsewhere to discuss it or do it via PMs or email.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
There are certain members who are using signature which contains some ten lines of text, ten lines of space, images, maps and what not. I suggest to the forum management to restrict the use of signature to just one or maximum two lines and strictly no images. It will save the forum a lot of bandwidth and the posts will look much better and tidy. Sometimes it gets difficult to differentiate between the posts and the signature. I hope members also take due cognizance of this problem and use the signature option wisely.

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
There are certain members who are using signature which contains some ten lines of text, ten lines of space, images, maps and what not. I suggest to the forum management to restrict the use of signature to just one or maximum two lines and strictly no images. It will save the forum a lot of bandwidth and the posts will look much better and tidy. Sometimes it gets difficult to differentiate between the posts and the signature. I hope members also take due cognizance of this problem and use the signature option wisely.
Yes, for gods sake, some members' signature are bigger than their posts. Its irritating.

ppgj

this auto log off from the site even for an idle time of about 5 min(some time actually reading a longish post) is bit of annoyance.can anything be done please?don't know if only i am experiencing it.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
this auto log off from the site even for an idle time of about 5 min(some time actually reading a longish post) is bit of annoyance.can anything be done please?don't know if only i am experiencing it.
Click the remember me box next to the place you enter your user name and password. It will stop you from logging out.

A.V.

the limit signature mod to be introduced soon to stop the signature violations and misuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles