Food Thread

Oracle

Chicken with Lie Pata

Ingredients:
Chicken raw -1 Kg
Ginger - 50 gms
Garlic - 30-40 cloves, depending on size.
Turmeric Powder(Haldi) - according to color
Salt - according to taste
Lie Pata - 2 muthas OR Mustard leaves
Curd - 150 gms
Olive oil - total of about 10 tbs
Green chilli (lots)

Preparation:
1. Smash the ginger, garlic & lots of green chillies (depends on how hot you can eat) in the chopping board. The idea is not to use the grinder.

2. Marinate the chicken with the above mixture, turmeric powder(haldi), salt, 4 tbs of olive oil, 150 gms of curd(the normal sour curd that we get from Diary).

3. Let it rest for 1.5 - 2 hours.

Lie Pata: It is a leaf just like Mustard leaves, but better in taste than Mustard leaf and a little bitter. Found in NE, I have not seen it outside. Since you won't find Lie pata other the NE, you can use Mustard leaves too. Tastes almost the same.
It's other uses are in making saag(sarsoo ka saag) or in Fish items, along with mustard seeds paste.

This is how Mustard leaf looks like, almost similar to Lie Pata:

4. Keep the Mustard leaves soaked in a tumbler for 30 mins for the dirt to get off the leaves.
5. Wash the leaves carefully and collect it in a plate.
6. Using Kadai, boil water. When the water starts boiling soak the leaves in the boiling water, let it remain there for 1 or 2 minutes, until the colour of the leaves change to dark green. Take it out, rinse water and keep them aside.

Since there would be a handful of leaves, I suggest you do the above 2 - 3 times, until all leaves have been treated. This also leaves germs and small insects out of the leaves for the final cooking.

7. Use 4 tbs of olive oil and heat up the Kadai.
8. Add already cut onions (3 medium sized should be enough) in the kadai. When the onions starts turning pinkish, add the marinated chicken.
9. Keep stirring in medium heat for like 20 mins.
10. Cover the kadai and let it cook on reduced(minimum) flame for 15 mins. Stir it once, and let it cook again in reduced flame for another 10 mins.
11. Increase the flame, add water & stir the mix once. Let it boil for 5 mins. Taste the salt, if needed add more.
12. Add the Mustard leaves/Lie pata and let it cook for another 10 mins.

And voila! It is done.

This type of cooking chicken is without external scents like garam masala, bay leaf etc, cuming powder or red chilli powder. So the ginger, garlic has to be double the amount what we normally use to cook chicken & smashed not grinded. Also this dish is primarily hot, so add green chillies according to your taste.

Last edited:

Oracle

/\/\/\ This dish is for 2. Well depends on your intake.

Oracle

what leaves have been used here and will the mustard leaves and chicken dish you shared too come out something similar?
The actual leaf would be Lie Pata, but I used Mustard leaves in the fish item as you do not find Lie pata outside the NE.

Yes, in terms of colour and appearance - the chicken dish would appear highly similar, a little less haldi in colour though. As in that fish item, I used paste of mustard seeds which gave this bright colour.

This chicken dish is what most of my tribals friends cook. They do not add much spices to their food.

Last edited:

Oracle

The same recipe holds true for both pork and mutton/lamb too. Just a slight variation while cooking.

Mutton/Lamb and Pork needs to be processed before cooking.

They need to be cleaned and boiled in a pressure cooker. Pork - 4 whistles, Mutton - 6 whistles, depending upon the softness of the meat.

Preparation:
1. Take 4-6 tbs of olive oil in a kadai and heat it.
2. Add smashed green chillies, ginger, garlic and fry for 1/2 a minute. Then add onions, haldi and salt and keep frying in medium heat.
3. After say 10 minutes, empty the already boiled Pork/Mutton/Lamb with all the water in the kadai.
4. Let it cook for 10 mins in high heat.
5. Add the Mustard leaves (which already has been processed as in the chicken dish) and boil for another 10 mins. And it is done.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
i was under the impression that you were talking something closer to saag murg, but in that they use a lot of leaves, blend it into a puree, and then roast it as a pasrt of gravy and if i am not mistaken they use spinach in that?

thanks for sharing, mate.

ok what is the reason behind just using haldi and salt as a marinate for a lot of dishes the begalis cook?

Oracle

i was under the impression that you were talking something closer to saag murg, but in that they use a lot of leaves, blend it into a puree, and then roast it as a pasrt of gravy and if i am not mistaken they use spinach in that?
Not sure about Spinach and saag murg. What is spinach? Hindi name?

thanks for sharing, mate.

ok what is the reason behind just using haldi and salt as a marinate for a lot of dishes the begalis cook?
You're welcome!

Bengalis actually use cumin powder, red chilli powder etc while marinating. This is not a bengali food, it is a tribal dish.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Not sure about Spinach and saag murg. What is spinach? Hindi name?

You're welcome!

Bengalis actually use cumin powder, red chilli powder etc while marinating. This is not a bengali food, it is a tribal dish.
spinach = palak

yeah i under stand that's not a bengali dish, but since we were at it, i have seen a lot of times where the bengalis only use haldi and salt as a merinate, so was wondering why jsut those two, of course during the course of making the dish a lot more goes in.

Oracle

Lol, how did I forget that? So in saag murg palak is used?

yeah i under stand that's not a bengali dish, but since we were at it, i have seen a lot of times where the bengalis only use haldi and salt as a merinate, so was wondering why jsut those two, of course during the course of making the dish a lot more goes in.
Well Haldi can be added later even while frying the meat. Haldi is used for colour only.

Salt is used while marinating so that the salt goes deep inside the meat. Osmosis mate!

If you use other masalas like cumins, red chilli powder while marinating, then salt will take even those deep inside the meat, making the meat juicy.

Last edited:

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Lol, how did I forget that? So in saag murg palak is used?

Well Haldi can be added later even while frying the meat. Haldi is used for colour only.

Salt is used while marinating so that the salt goes deep inside the meat. Osmosis mate!
yes mate, i very well understand the need of salt in a marinate and i am not questioning the need of it, but was wondering why only use these two things and not more and mind you i am not generalizing it but yes for quite a few dishes just haldi and salt i have seen as getting used as a marinate?

was trying to understand what is it that haldi does to the meat and when this marinate is done, why nothing else is added? does it tenderize the meat?

Oracle

yes mate, i very well understand the need of salt in a marinate and i am not questioning the need of it, but was wondering why only use these two things and not more and mind you i am not generalizing it but yes for quite a few dishes just haldi and salt i have seen as getting used as a marinate?

was trying to understand what is it that haldi does to the meat and when this marinate is done, why nothing else is added? does it tenderize the meat?
Oh! Okay.

Well, Bongs use all the masalas to marinate meat. Turmeric(haldi) apart from adding colour is also used to preserve the food, also has medicinal values. Maybe this is the reason. I am not so sure dude. I just cook and eat. :D

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
since we are talking eggs, here is how i do the omelettes (no pics):

I don't have a taste for raw veggies or semi cooked veggies in the omelette, so I cook them and then layer them with the egg.

The veggies I generally use are onions, capsicum and mushrooms. if you want a spanish omelette add in the potatoes and cook them along side the veggies and you then could cut out a few veggies if you so feel.

Dice the veggies into smaller pieces.

First heat the oil.

Put in the onions, let them soften up and change the color, then add mushrooms and while doing this add some salt, black pepper and oregano. Cook them for a while, let water ease out from the mushrooms, and then add capsicum. i love the crunch in the capsies so i dont at all over do them/

I am not such a big fan of cilantro, since i feel it over does its taste and so cuts out on the taste of other veggies and if you are one like me but still want to use it, I suggest you add them at the start with all those veggies and cook for a while.

Take eggs, add good amount of milk (i add quite a bit), salt and whip it well.

Once the veggies have been done pour the egg mix, and let it cook.

Something you could do with leftover non-veg that you cooked and in case you don't want to have the same dish again:

Shred the meat (which ever). Once you have roasted the veggies add the shredded meat, and the gravy, and cook till the time gravy significantly reduces and comes up to what you want it as, add the whipped eggs and I can assure you this one would be the best ever omelette you would have ever had, also if you want you can add salamis, or seek kebabs, but you need to fry these when you are doing the onions.

Then there is also the option of adding cheese which will take the dish to an altogether different level, but then so will the calories, but if you want to treat yourself, this aint a bad one at all. I add some (around 30%) cheese in the egg while whipping, which means I whip it along the eggs and then once the egg have been poured on the veggies/shredded meat then on top. you are going to love it.

Oracle

/\/\/\ Mine is almost similar. I use cheese instead of oil and use boiled veggies. Mushroom is a must. Colourful seasonal vegetables like red or yellow capsicums too.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
/\/\/\ Mine is almost similar. I use cheese instead of oil and use boiled veggies. Mushroom is a must. Colourful seasonal vegetables like red or yellow capsicums too.
you've done it with meat and used the gravy of the dish? man if not you are going to so much love it.

anyways, any salads you do? if yes do share, and definitely the dressings.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles