Exclusive: Tata to unveil India's first indigenous 155 mm howitzer

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Okie guys did some asking around and it seems like this gun was made in India( yes you read that right) the molds and other forging equipment was brought over from SA and was forged here at home under the guidance of DENEL engineers as well as the local SDRE TATA team. the barrel and much of the other metal bits can be made in bulk here now, what is still being imported is the fire control mechanism . though much of that has already been indigenised by TATA SED.
more as and when i can ferret stuff out.
good news, but TATA should take a good look at T72 with our armed forces and make use of its tank cheeses and put an armor around it.
It is not that truck mounted is bad, but modern air bust ammo in counter shelling will be very bad for our howitzer crew.
TATA can also make their own track howitzer.
Any way good start. Credit must go to Ratan Tata.

ashicjose

good news, but TATA should take a good look at T72 with our armed forces and make use of its tank cheeses and put an armor around it.
It is not that truck mounted is bad, but modern air bust ammo in counter shelling will be very bad for our howitzer crew.
TATA can also make their own track howitzer.
Any way good start. Credit must go to Ratan Tata.
There is one advantage over tank mounted ... quick and easy deployment.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
This means if OFB/DRDO wants they can collaborate with TATA to restart BHIM..

Okie guys did some asking around and it seems like this gun was made in India( yes you read that right) the molds and other forging equipment was brought over from SA and was forged here at home under the guidance of DENEL engineers as well as the local SDRE TATA team. the barrel and much of the other metal bits can be made in bulk here now, what is still being imported is the fire control mechanism . though much of that has already been indigenised by TATA SED.
more as and when i can ferret stuff out.

SPIEZ

Country flag
AFAIK, Tata collaborated with some other company for the development of the howitzer.

Any chances for this gun to be considered by the government?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
More deals may also go this route?
That is what I expect.

Guess what, Indian defence set up may keep "tipping" govt of malpractice by foreign firms and get them blacklisted and then cut a deal with them with ToT. I guess it's win win for India and Indian companies. It can become ugly too. Let's concentrate on the positives though for the moment.

Country flag
USA is also losing out on this deal like MRCA. Obama's blowing a lot of defense deals.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
I also fail to understand why the Defence Ministry continue to keep companies which has supplied us proven weapon systems blacklisted in perpetuity, even when the Company changes ownership, and in the bargain still keeps the Army denuded of the weapon system to the detriment of the defence preparedness.
Sir,

It's the nature of politics in India.

Anything once tainted becomes untouchable, and because the political parties are opportunists and by nature majority of us are hypocrites and the political parties no less, and I might add a mere reflection of people like me, so the most sane argument can be worked out in ways to present it as a very cunning, shrewd, corrupt and at times communal argument. Precisely the reason why when even the company's ownership changes hand, the taint, and the political opportunism won't disappear.

Take the example of the MBR FDI. The same MMS, who today defends and supports the MBR FDI, once was staunchly against it, and the very same Yashwant Sinha, who once supported it, and pushed this very reform as the then finance minister, is against it today.

Precisely with defence procurement, the opposition realizes fully well the importance of the lack of howitzers, and the effect of that on military preparedness of the IA, but because the whole howitzer thing today looks tainted, they won't let the opportunity go by if at all the government dares to push for a product, considered the best as per the armed forces, but comes from a company suspected of corrupt practices.

At the end, it is all about political point scoring with the voter, the country's gain is of least importance, definitely not till the push comes to shove.

This attitude is more surprising when compared with the case where the GOI not only has allowed the successor company to Union Carbide, which killed lakhs of Indians and have court cases, to trade in India and sell GM seeds, which have proven to be dud, but also the Govt also actively promotes such a company!
I am of the opinion, the real problem here is the Raksha Mantri, AK Antony. What he was required for, he has done and his purpose is over. Now the requirement is of a more dynamic chap, someone who can push the things around, as the RM. Sticking with him is certainly not the best thing, but then loyalties in India always get rewarded and so he continues to stick around, not to forget he is considered one of the senior most in the cabinet.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles