Earthquake with magnitude of 8.9 has struck near Indonesia

Galaxy

Country flag
The forecasts say what time the first tsunami wave will arrive, IF, repeat IF, there is one. (it is not known as of now). It's neither rumour nor fact but possibility!

IF Tsunami comes, then List -- http://ptwc.weather.gov/text.php?id=indian.TSUIOX.2012.04.11.0845

Just In - Possibility of a major Tsunami is low: USGS

Let's pray for nothing to happen!!

Last edited:

Parthy

Air Warrior
Am more worried about Andaman & Nicobar islands... Lets God be with them and people in Indonesia... Lets pray for them..

ajay_ijn

Country flag
Technology is not good enough, we are not able to do anything to stop it.
I mean compared to previous times when there was no warning at all, early warning can save most lives. Controlling Natural Events like earthquake, tsunami is out of question in these times, may be in future.

Last edited:

Adux

Country flag
I felt it cochin, for nearly 1 and half minutes, it was surreal.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Tsunami can hit at 15.45 IF there is a Tsunami.

I wonder what happened to all the buoys that they had installed for Tsunami warning. We should know already if there is a Tsunami.

I hope there is no Tsunami.

plugwater

I mean compared to previous times when there was no warning at all, early warning can save most lives. Controlling Natural Events like earthquake, tsunami is out of question in these times, may be future like in some sci-fi movies.
I am talking of future only!!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
May be i am too heavy to feel it or what, a lot of people in Bangalore are saying that Bangalore shook. I have no clue about it.

Galaxy

Country flag
Map: When the tsunami is likely to hit India Remember, it's just possibility!!

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Friends from the coastal areas plz move to higher lands; as a precaution.

ajay_ijn

Country flag
Map: When the tsunami is likely to hit India Remember, it's just possibility!!

how can waves travel untill mumbai & Mangalore? are they going to take a right turn after hitting Kanyakumari?

H.A.

how can waves travel untill mumbai & Mangalore? are they going to take a right turn after hitting Kanyakumari?
Hope this helps....

Tsunami waves are mechanical waves and thus energy transfer is through the phenomenon of compression and rarefaction. These waves move through their source towards the onshore areas due to the additional impact of wind on the surface of water. This phenomenon of water wave movement can be understood as the generation of ripples on water surface when disturbed by any external impact. In a tsunami wave, the whole of water mass moves about 30 metres horizontally to and fro from the impact which caused it. Another up and down motion combined with this to and fro motion causes the wave to travel in an elliptical geometry. A typical tsunami wave can have an amplitude A of 1 metre and a wavelength L of the order of 799.9 kilometres, which can be used to calculate its speed. For the average depth of the Indian Ocean, which is three and a half kilometres, the speed of water waves was calculated as around 650 kilometres per second. Such speeds combined with high associated energy levels explains the destructive capabilities of tsunami waves.
How does tsunami energy travel across the ocean and how far can tsunamis waves reach, Tsunami, Tsunami Information, tsunami story , Tsunami Hazard

Galaxy

Country flag
Reports suggest that the tsunami may not be major as the wave has moved horizontally instead of vertically. No waves noticed so far in Andaman and Nicobar Islands; tsunami virtually ruled out, says NDMA vice president Sasidhra Reddy.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles