Does the Andhra Train Accident Confirm Trivedi's Fears?

pmaitra

I seriously don't understand that how a person like Lalu (who couldn't run his state properly) could turn around Railways with minimal fire hike, a feat that Mamata or any other minister were unable to achieve.
I'll give you two simple examples:
  • The Railways used to procure wagons that were made of thick sheets of steel, so that, for e.g., when parked next to a quarry, if 25 kg blocks of rocks were dropped from a height of 10 metres, it would not dent the steel. Laloo recommended thinner steel, so in the short run, costs were minimized, but in the long run, we will need frequent scrapping of old rolling stock and frequent acquisition of new rolling stock.
  • Wagons, carriages and bogies have their own weight ratings, and there is always a tolerance kept (I think 20%, not sure). Laloo reduced that tolerance, thus hauling more goods, little realizing that also resulted in more wear and tear, and thus more damage to tracks, wheels, axles, and therefore, demanding more maintenance.

The problem is not with fare hike but with the expenditure. The money has to be spent in the right places.
Fares need to be hiked. Eight years is too much for fares to stagnate when people's incomes have risen and inflation has also increased. True, money has to be spent in the right places, but then, you also need to have money to spend.

The anti train collision system is being discussed for the past 5 or so years however never implemented, if it would have been implemented then accident like these could be avoided, which 99 % of the time happen due to human error.
True.

All I can say is that, Indian train fares are cheap, and Indian passengers' lives are also cheap, very cheap. Each life is worth Rs. 500,000 (see opening post).

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Lallu and the others know that they survive through populism and nothing more.

Idiots like him have run the country to the ground!

If ticketless travel is curbed there will be money,

In UP, Behar and even Haryana, to travel ticketless is like having won the PVC!

Increasing fares is merely a drop in the ocean.

It must be made cost effective.

Freight car turnaround through goods corridor etc would go a long way in increasing revenue.

Optimise the use of railway land and properties.

Last edited:

H.A.

Fares need to be hiked. Eight years is too much for fares to stagnate when people's incomes have risen and inflation has also increased. True, money has to be spent in the right places, but then, you also need to have money to spend.
I agree that Indian Railways need a fare hike, however there are other ways to increase income without increasing fares, for example:

1) Increase the number of trains on busy routes: I pay Rs. 300 extra every single time to an agent whenever i want to book a ticket for Howrah, instead if Railways introduces more trains i wouldn't mind paying Rs. 100 extra to Railways, if I can get a ticket.

2) Products like Rail Neer etc. have to be better implemented. I pay Rs. 45/= for a product that is Khichdi mixed with Mufalli and is termed as Vegetable Biryani, If Railways improves the quality of services i wouldn't mind paying extra Rs. 5 or Rs. 10 to them.

pmaitra

1) Increase the number of trains on busy routes: I pay Rs. 300 extra every single time to an agent whenever i want to book a ticket for Howrah, instead if Railways introduces more trains i wouldn't mind paying Rs. 100 extra to Railways, if I can get a ticket.
Yes, good point. So, the advantage of low fares isn't quite extended to the populace, rather, middlemen and agents are making money while ordinary people often have to resort to coughing up more money. Might as well kick these middlemen out, and raise the fares, and let the Railways get the money in its entirety.

2) Products like Rail Neer etc. have to be better implemented. I pay Rs. 45/= for a product that is Khichdi mixed with Mufalli and is termed as Vegetable Biryani, If Railways improves the quality of services i wouldn't mind paying extra Rs. 5 or Rs. 10 to them.
Prior to privatization, the food quality was much better than what you have today. I have traveled all over India since I was a baby.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Prior to privatization, the food quality was much better than what you have today. I have traveled all over India since I was a baby.
Try the food on Durontos!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles